Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th July 2011, 21:12   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Land Rover Freelander question

Hi folks

Gill is thinking of selling the MX5 and getting a small 4x4, and likes the look of the Land Rover Freelander

I've heard that there is a potential problem with the electric rear window on the tailgate, which apparently can sometimes just drop down of it's own accord (saw this on the Mike Brewer/Edd China show "Auto Trader"). As we would be having the dogs in the back, this would be a big worry, in fact so big it would stop us choosing the car

However, the car on the show was a five door, which I know has the electric rear window, but Gill fancies the three door (the one with the removable rear section)

So, what I need to know is, does this have the same window/same issue?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 8th July 2011, 21:43   #2
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
Hi folks

Gill is thinking of selling the MX5 and getting a small 4x4, and likes the look of the Land Rover Freelander

I've heard that there is a potential problem with the electric rear window on the tailgate, which apparently can sometimes just drop down of it's own accord (saw this on the Mike Brewer/Edd China show "Auto Trader"). As we would be having the dogs in the back, this would be a big worry, in fact so big it would stop us choosing the car

However, the car on the show was a five door, which I know has the electric rear window, but Gill fancies the three door (the one with the removable rear section)

So, what I need to know is, does this have the same window/same issue?

Thanks in advance for any info!
The 5 and 3 door tail gates are the same, The door handle has two 50p micro switches fitted and these can play up over the years of use. they can be replaced if you are handy with soldering iron. However even with dodgy micro switches our window has never opened on the move.
When you activate the door handle the window will drop an inch, this is normal and when shut the window will go back up.
If you are still concerned there is a Landrover accessory grille that bolts to the inside of the tailgate. If you are leaving dogs in the car you can leave the tailgate window down and not need to be concerned about ventilation for them.

The 3 door has an additional 50p microswitch for the hardtop which can also play up causing various issues with the tailgate handle and window too, but this is quite often because it is not adjusted correct or the bracket is bent etc.

All good bargaining points though.

You should be more concerned about the viscous coupling first though as this can cause irreparable damage to the drive train if not replaced early enough.
Some folks have even removed it prior to sale, so look underneath before you buy. Located middle of car a big 6" OD lump of steel should be there.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 08:39   #3
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!

With regards to the rear window: If there was any risk of the thing dropping down with the dogs in the back whilst on the move, then we wouldn't even consider a Freelander. However, if there's a grille that would keep them safe, that's a different matter!

Thanks again!
Old 9th July 2011, 08:53   #4
Jake
Banned

2004 75 Contemporary SE Tourer, 2005 (55) Pearl Black Conn. SE Tourer.

Morning Dave,

Heard nightmares about transfer boxes going on Freelanders and they cost a fortune to go wrong.

We've had a few, and are looking for another Frontera 2.2DTi, they do a short and long wheelbase version - really good lumps of truck.

On another note, had an idea about your centre caps, tell you about it this afternoon.

J
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 11:01   #5
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Heard nightmares about transfer boxes going on Freelanders and they cost a fortune to go wrong.
Usual stuff of legends and folklore. We are coming up to 100k miles on ours and have just replaced the VCU in all that time.

If you completely ignore any mechanical item for long enough then for sure it will go bang. Ignore the VCU and for sure either your rear diff or failed transfer box.
Old 9th July 2011, 11:07   #6
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
Thanks for the advice - much appreciated!

With regards to the rear window: If there was any risk of the thing dropping down with the dogs in the back whilst on the move, then we wouldn't even consider a Freelander. However, if there's a grille that would keep them safe, that's a different matter!

Thanks again!
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID008994

We own a dog and we put it in the back with no concerns, I have even managed to get 3 sheep in back last winter, but that's another story......................
Old 10th July 2011, 10:34   #7
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID008994

We own a dog and we put it in the back with no concerns, I have even managed to get 3 sheep in back last winter, but that's another story......................
Thanks for the link. If we get a Freelander, we'll certainly get one of these!
Old 10th July 2011, 19:36   #8
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

TD4 in SE spec facelift, they are great wagons, check the transfer box else they are wonderful and actually decent off road despte what many people say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKsj7...eature=related

Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote