Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st January 2011, 16:50   #1
huddie

rover 75 saloon

Default clutch master cylinder replacement

Ok you guys so I read all the posts, knew what I was taking on, how right you all were, what a pig of a job. Who ever designed in all that unneccessary complexity should own up. Ok so I have got it out, hopeing it's the master cyliner and not the slave. Old invoices from previous owner show a clutch replacement not that long ago by a rover main dealer so I hope the slave was done then. I struggled with the engine side bulkhead grommet just couldn't get at it so I tried to pull it through, alas it's gone seemingly between the bulkheads. Where's the best place to get a replacement master cylinder from??. I looked at Rimmer Bros. site looks like £180 quid , and any tips on feeding through the new one when I get it.
Regards Huddie
huddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 19:20   #2
Martynp
Passed Away

Rover 75 2.5V6 Tourer

I understand that new masters are available from GSF, German Swedish & French.
Also understand that their parts listing are under BMW, as its a BMW diesel engine.
They can also be found on ebay circa £130,last time I looked

See you have a diesel, its important to state which engine you are purchasing for as the petrol varient is different, probably something to do with length of hydraulic pipeing which is supplied.
It is factory sealed for life, re: hydraulic fluid contents/ resevoir.

Supplier is AP of France
Just buy new bulkhead grommets to fit! originals probably in the Plennum chamber----
New fluid for topping up, dot 4, as for brakes
Martynp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 19:29   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Is this BMW cylinder of more robust stuff than the MGR one? I'd assume so and if I'm correct might be a way for all 75/ZT owners to go regarding the clutch master. We know the solution to clutch slaves, but the master remains a problem. If the BMW diesel master cylinder differs only in the hydraulic pipes, then I wonder if they are readily detachable like the OEM ones? If so, swapping your old pipes onto the BMW master could be the breakthrough. Or am I pipe dreaming again?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 19:46   #4
Martynp
Passed Away

Rover 75 2.5V6 Tourer

Hi T-cut
A couple of years ago, in another place, we were trying to find kits to rebuild master cylinders & failed miserably.
Flyer sent me his old diesel master to look at------

Much later I got my hands on a failed petrol slave cylinder.
I connected the diesel master to the petrol slave easily enough but take it apart again, noway!
So I sectioned the bell housing end connection longitutinaly, found that there is a castellated type cage inside the connection which, once connected, defies disconnection

Not an answer to your query, just thought I would post my finding & enquire if others had experienced the same?
Quick fit connection that will not allow disconnection by design?
Old 1st January 2011, 20:00   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

I know the connector is tricky to disconnect. I've not done one myself, but I have a pretty shrewd idea it works exactly like those push-in plumbing joints they use for quick joint systems. I have four such connectors (22mm dia) on my shower pump. You really need a special key, which is supplied with the connectors. Of course, there's no such key supplied with the clutch parts, but I bet there's an MGR tool to do it. The trick is to press in a thin ring, which releases the castellated collar's grip on the other half of the joint. It's counter-intuitive because you have to press part of the joint together while pulling another bit of it apart. I bet a read of that manual who's name must not be spoken will explain it and identify the release tool.

TC
Old 1st January 2011, 20:24   #6
Martynp
Passed Away

Rover 75 2.5V6 Tourer

I too am familiar with many different types of quick fit connections.
I fashioned a release tool from sheet steel using info available from that other place, with no sucess
You are on the right track I feel, tool probably available from Xpart?

Would have to be not a closed circle, more like a horseshoe to enter with a modicum of force, to press on & release that inner castellated cage, as it lodges behind a shoulder in the body of the fitting, when in the fitted position.
Possibly requires a circular motion of tool to disconnect----pulling at the hydraulic hose at the same time

Good idea, look for a sketch of special tools---- now why did I not think of that!!

Last edited by Martynp; 1st January 2011 at 20:26.. Reason: good idea----
Old 1st January 2011, 21:03   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynp View Post
I too am familiar with many different types of quick fit connections.
I fashioned a release tool from sheet steel using info available from that other place, with no sucess
You are on the right track I feel, tool probably available from Xpart?

Would have to be not a closed circle, more like a horseshoe to enter with a modicum of force, to press on & release that inner castellated cage, as it lodges behind a shoulder in the body of the fitting, when in the fitted position.
Possibly requires a circular motion of tool to disconnect----pulling at the hydraulic hose at the same time

Good idea, look for a sketch of special tools---- now why did I not think of that!!
Agree with you Martyn about the horseshoe shape release tool. Could be easily made but would maybe need a small tapering effect to it's thickness to generate a release pressure as it is driven into place.

Colvert.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 21:12   #8
Martynp
Passed Away

Rover 75 2.5V6 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Agree with you Martyn about the horseshoe shape release tool. Could be easily made but would maybe need a small tapering effect to it's thickness to generate a release pressure as it is driven into place.

Colvert.
Agree with your interpretation John, that tapering effect would have to be fashioned & quite fine to enter the available space, long enough to reach the inner castellation
Must get the books out!
Regards M

Last edited by Martynp; 1st January 2011 at 21:14.. Reason: typo
Old 1st January 2011, 23:01   #9
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

You're on the right track. Here's the plumbing version. As you see, it's a horseshoe shape with a thin edge to press down the locking ring.

Bought from Screwfix.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 1st January 2011 at 23:04..
Old 2nd January 2011, 15:40   #10
huddie

rover 75 saloon

Default Clutch master cylinder

Hi you guys, thanks for the info on availability and cost for the master cylinder.
As for releasing the the pipe connector, I first tried as per Haynes manual with a small screwdriver, to no avail, so I fashioned a tool with a piece of steel. I drilled a 13mm hole in towards the end and then cut down to both sides of the hole with a hacksaw at an angle to give me the taper effect. This worked fine.
Regards Huddie
huddie is offline   Reply With Quote