Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th July 2009, 06:19   #1
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Default swine flu

Just some sense about this virus and the actual threat Alan

Don't panic on pandemic plea (27/07/2009)
The British Medical Association has spoken out against the government's advice that everyone with symptoms of swine flu should take antiviral drugs.

A national flu service was set up on Friday (July 24) to provide prescriptions for Tamiflu or its alternative, Relenza by phone or over the internet without seeing a doctor.
But GPs are refusing to give out the drugs for mild cases, as they carry a risk of side-effects including vomiting, diarrhoea and hallucinations.
Dr Peter Holden of the BMA said: "There is a clear divide now growing between what doctors are doing and what the chief medical officer wants.
"In mild cases most doctors are using their clinical judgment and saying, 'You are not in a high-risk group; I don't think you ought to have this'. If it was a member of my family and they were otherwise fit and they were not a high-risk case, I wouldn't give it to them.
"The price we're paying for having the flu helpline is that we now have far too low a threshold for issuing Tamiflu. The profession is concerned about that."
Health secretary Andy Burnham has warned that panic could push services to breaking point.
He told the Observer that although swine flu presented a huge challenge for the country, it was not a life-threatening condition for the vast majority of people.
"It is very important for everybody to keep a sense of perspective," he said. "It has been a mild virus in the vast majority of cases, with relatively mild symptoms from which people recover fully fairly quickly. "If people are made unnecessarily anxious, it makes the lives of NHS professionals, who are already under enormous pressure, far more difficult as people become unduly worried."

Last edited by Roverowner; 28th July 2009 at 06:52.. Reason: Just puting the text in instead
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 06:35   #2
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Says I have to register??
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 06:50   #3
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Monk View Post
Says I have to register??
Nowhere in the actual text does it say that you have to register. The text puts the -threat-into some perspective. Why stuff a whole population with drugs when nearly all will have a mild flu? If one thinks that they are at any risk then they should get the vaccination when it comes. Alan
Old 28th July 2009, 07:25   #4
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverowner View Post
Nowhere in the actual text does it say that you have to register. The text puts the -threat-into some perspective. Why stuff a whole population with drugs when nearly all will have a mild flu? If one thinks that they are at any risk then they should get the vaccination when it comes. Alan
Common sense if you ask me. I was under the impression that we have around 6000 deaths from flu, with a further 20000 in bad years. So far we've had 30ish deaths...
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 07:36   #5
Reebmit
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Con SE CDTi, 205 GTi 1.9 (x 2), 205 CTi 1.9, 205 GTi Mi16, Ford C-Max 2.0 TDCi Ghia, MR2 GT

I believe that normal flu has deaths of between 250,000 to 500,000 per year globally so I kind of guess that puts this piggy bug into perspective!

Reebmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 07:46   #6
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Difficult to make a comparison between deaths from seasonal flu and swine flu as this "pandemic" has hardly got started. However, most deaths are among high risk groups with serious underlying health problems. It also seems to target particular age groups, especially those under 14. Fortunately most youngsters tend to be in good health and recover very quickly.
Being in a very high risk group myself I sincerley hope a vaccine is produced as quickly as possible.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 08:21   #7
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Difficult to make a comparison between deaths from seasonal flu and swine flu as this "pandemic" has hardly got started. However, most deaths are among high risk groups with serious underlying health problems. It also seems to target particular age groups, especially those under 14. Fortunately most youngsters tend to be in good health and recover very quickly.
Being in a very high risk group myself I sincerley hope a vaccine is produced as quickly as possible.
As said. This isn´t seasonal, yet, a new one which will have to spread out and contaminate the whole planet, just as influenza A did once apon a time. It seems to affect a lot of youngsters which isn´t the case usually with influ. A. Many times because the body doesn´t recognize it at all and so has to start from -scratch- so to speak. I would think that once we´ve all had it and a few have had it bad and a very few have died, then it will sort it self out jut like other viral infections. Didn´t know we had so many budding doctors. Trying to stop it or curtail it is a waste of time and can have the opposite effect. These things will pop up from time to time, especially as the global population continues to grow. Nature thins us out when it can - only natural. If the global population decreased then these things would be less frequent. Instead of giving aid to people who haven´t any food we should primerally teach them that 1 or 2 children is enough...... 9 isn´t really on any more.
Old 28th July 2009, 08:31   #8
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Didn´t know we had so many budding doctors.
Just a well informed patient.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 08:33   #9
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

Quote:
These things will pop up from time to time, especially as the global population continues to grow. Nature thins us out when it can - only natural. If the global population decreased then these things would be less frequent. .

I'm currently fighting off Mother nature's wish to thin the population, having had Swine flu for the past 2 and a half weeks

Being in the high risk group, with underlying health issues, I contracted it from working with the general public and a member of my team, and it hit me like a brick. The Oseltamivir (Tamiflu) in 75mg pill form certainly prevented me from the ravages of Pneumonia, and now I am on a third course of Amoxicillin and still pretty weak. It's been touch and go in terms of admittance back to the Renal ward, but hopefully I have turned the corner.
MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 08:45   #10
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPACA View Post
I'm currently fighting off Mother nature's wish to thin the population, having had Swine flu for the past 2 and a half weeks

Being in the high risk group, with underlying health issues, I contracted it from working with the general public and a member of my team, and it hit me like a brick. The Oseltamivir (Tamiflu) in 75mg pill form certainly prevented me from the ravages of Pneumonia, and now I am on a third course of Amoxicillin and still pretty weak. It's been touch and go in terms of admittance back to the Renal ward, but hopefully I have turned the corner.
Well done that man! Seems you have kidney probs. You getting tamiflu is a far cry from giving it to anyone how happens to ring up with a sore throat!! Amoxicillin is a penicillin which is used for certain BACTERIAL infektions. One of the drugs of choice for airway bugs - not antiviral. Your dr/drs may think you were -blessed- with a secondry, bacterial, infektion. Viruses are small nasty little things that break down the bodys natural barriers, giving a passing bacteria a nice -hole- to jump in to. Stick in there squire If your brave enough to own a 75, (instantly banned from club) then a small virus shouldn´t get you down Alan