Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th April 2023, 08:47   #1
YorkshireRover-75

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Rover 75 Water Ingress (boot area)..

I found some water in the wheel well(spare wheel area) in the boot. I seem to remember dad saying this was an issue and that he had tried for ages to see where it was coming in, to no avail...

Any ideas, please..

I did notice there was some water right to the side,(under some of the carpeted wall area) on the shelf area in the boot, (the bit before it drops away into the spare wheel storage area...) Both sides actually....

Dawn ~
YorkshireRover-75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2023, 09:00   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

A swimming pool in the spare wheel well is a very common problem. These are possible causes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer View Post
Possible Areas of Water Leaking into Boot Space: now reads, (in no particular order)..

1) Rear screen: broken or leaking retaining clips (8 off) along bottom edge of rear windscreen...
2) Light: rear light housings (gasket split, too thin or gone)...
3) Chrome strip: rear chrome body strip's inside plastic fasteners not sealing...
4) Sunroof: blocked or dislodged drain tubes to rear of sun roof
5) Hinges: bolt holes at boot lid hinge
6) Quarter light: leaks at holes for trim piece at end of rear quarter light blanking plate...

AND LAST IN THIS LIST, BUT NOT THE LEAST:...

7) Metal Seams: insufficient seal at metal bodywork seams below rear window. This was the culprit in my case having, at various points, been persuaded it was one of the others above. Just a pinhole sized gap in the facory applied sealant was enough for all the water that cascades off the rear windscreen to find its way through the panel joins and, (if the car was at a slight lean), drip into interior recess at a point below where the hinges for the boot lid are attached. It was picked up by a knowledgeable Auotoglass person whom I had taken the car to with a view to asking to (help) take off chrome and rubber rear windscreen strips. A small bead of silicon on the seam at the site of the tiny hole has done the trick. I have a pic, will try to load it on.

Best Regards

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2023, 15:04   #3
tonybel
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190 SE

There is something very unwater-proof about these car. Ironic given that its one of the last British designed car.

Maybe you are in luck as a swimming pool sized leak should be possible to find, it’s the small ones that are a problem.

Ive been battling with various small leaks for years, tried everything, sometimes i think I’ve found it only to be proven wrong at the next downpour. in the end I keep a sponge in the boot where it gathers, and dry things out when possible.

A car cover or Garage helps.
Old 7th April 2023, 06:39   #4
YorkshireRover-75

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile

Thank you for the replies, chaps!

Haha.. Not quite a swimming pool. I would say it's a minor leak...

I think I will just be taking the car out on high days and holidays (minus rain)!

Kind Regards,

Dawn ~
YorkshireRover-75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2023, 09:21   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireRover-75 View Post
I found some water in the wheel well(spare wheel area) in the boot. I seem to remember dad saying this was an issue and that he had tried for ages to see where it was coming in, to no avail...

Any ideas, please..

Quote:
I did notice there was some water right to the side,(under some of the carpeted wall area) on the shelf area in the boot, (the bit before it drops away into the spare wheel storage area...) Both sides actually....

Dawn ~
Hi Dawn.
It will most likely be the rear light seals, as they get older the tend to split, fix is new all in one piece seal gaskets, clean the light & body touching area's add new gaskets and smear the touching gaskets with vaseline, that should deal with the rear light letting water.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...skets&_sacat=0

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2023, 17:04   #6
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Hi Arctic, just out of interest what torque should the cluster nuts be tightened to?
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2023, 18:14   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
Hi Arctic, just out of interest what torque should the cluster nuts be tightened to?
Hi Adrian.
I have not got a clue, it's always nipped up tight and 1/4 turn in my eyes ��

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2023, 19:57   #8
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Ok thanks
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2023, 20:19   #9
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Thumbs up Bit more detail

Well I think stevestrat has given a good list and Arctic has mentioned how to check out the rear light seal – which are certainly a likely source. I’d just add some observations from my own experience :-

1 – Rear lights seals - yep , I did get some leak from these and I bought some new ones from Jezzer1 . He was remanufacturing them ( see https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=142690 ) but not sure if still sourcing them. Go towards the end of this thread for more recent discussion on related leaks , options , fixes.

2 – Rear windscreen trim clips. This can be a leak source and I ‘serviced’ mine to stop any leak by following an excellent ‘how to’ by Rich17865. You will find this at
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=101522

3 - Chrome finisher strips . These run from the front wing , across the doors and , finally the rear wing. This last strip turned out to be the big water source for my boot leak. The problem arises from the loose fit of the grips for the chrome strips . Water runs behind the strip and through one or more hole for the clips . To stop this I did the following :-

• Forced the strips away from car panel by wedging matches down
• Slid a piece of paper along the gap to locate each clip/hole
• Pumped silicone well over/around each clip, repeated for each clip
• I then , also , ran silicone behind the entire length of the chrome strip
• Removed the matches
• Removed the excess silicone that had oozed out – used a small wooden strip , then white spirit. ( actually the thin wooden strip was a McDonalds coffee stirrer – have a lot , used for all sorts of purposes!)

That stopped my boot leak dead but also led me to suspect that these clips/holes could also let water weep into the doors too. So I repeated the whole process all along the doors too. Totally sealed up now!

Hope that’s of some use.
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2023, 22:56   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Another area for leaks is the area between the rear wing and the boot lip. If you open the boot, see the hinges where they attach to the side of the wing/channel,
there is a folded metal joint between the wing and the outside edge of the boot channel. Mine leaked slightly from there. I cured it by forcing some Waxoyle down between the join between the two pieces of metal. When this leaks, it usually ends up on the sat nav module in the righthand side of the boot.. Been ok ever since. You can put some kitchen roll paper tucked under the side of the carpet on the side of the boot in that area. This will show if that is where the leak is..