Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd April 2023, 09:48   #1
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Question Paint – what happened ?

I have recently put one of my 75’s back on the road . Generally a pretty immaculate , 82k miles diesel saloon in White gold finish. This car has been SORN for about 2 years and ‘protected’ under one of those multilayer , breathable covers. That all sounds great BUT , once washed and polished I clearly see large areas of what is best described as cloudiness on the roof. This appears to be actually in the paint layer , NOT top lacquer. My local car paintworks have taken a good look at this , tried an electrical polisher on it , confirm it is in the underlying paint and are as mystified as me as to what process could have caused this deep change - a chemical change in the paint due to heat under a cover through summer ?. I do detect some stone scratch marks ( they got under the cover) but they are not as extensive as the cloud areas. Quite possibly , later this year , I may have the roof repainted ( £500 ‘ ish) BUT I wonder if anyone else has such an experience or has any idea how this might have occurred ? Is it just peculiar to Whitegold ? The paint shop chap is quite against car covers and I am beginning to wonder myself now – both the 75 I swapped the Gold car for and my MGTF are under covers right now . Usually I remove covers for a while every month to get rid of damp and even have a small heater placed in for a while.
Anyway – observations are welcome since I do not want these dull clouds on other roofs !
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2023, 10:33   #2
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Saw something similar on FB recently: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2421...8787267614342/

A detailer seemed to think it was moisture trapped under the clear coat. He recommended leaving it out in the sun to try and dry out.

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2023, 10:38   #3
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Sounds to me like the clear coat could be delaminating from the base coat, in which case, no amount of polishing will fix it sadly.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:15   #4
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

I have never used an outside cover having seen similar damage on a variety of different makes of car over the years.. It's harder work, but I try to give my outside fleet a regular polish or leather down when wet (too often!). Also inspect the clearcoat frequently - Jaguars are the worst for this - and touch in any chips with clear nail varnish polish to prevent any spread.

Keep us posted on any other info - like us, our finishes are getting older!
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:31   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

This happened to mine, boot and roof. Had to have them resprayed 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2023, 11:50   #6
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
This happened to mine, boot and roof. Had to have them resprayed 😎

I had a similar problem. It was the painter who used too coarse a grit to flat down the existing paintwork prior to respraying. After the new paint had settled, the scratches grinned through.
Old 3rd April 2023, 17:06   #7
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

its typically caused by moisture pooling and heating up under the cover particular in hot weather where the moisture boils off fading the paint. Can't be polished out I'm afraid - its a repaint job

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2023, 18:29   #8
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I bought a cover to cover the Diesel while in the garage. It was under it for 2years. No problem. The same cover I have used to cover the 2.5V6 car for around three weeks outside, while next door had a new roof installed. I did notice that (condensation) water used to show under it after a while. I had kept the bumph that came with the cover, and when reading it again, noticed it said not to leave the cover on permanently as this could affect the paintwork. Now leave it uncovered and wash it down every now and again to get the dust off. Much safer.
Old 4th April 2023, 07:46   #9
Devilish
This is my second home

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
This happened to mine, boot and roof. Had to have them resprayed ��

Same has happened to my drivers door Ronnie, it actually turned white, looks a right mess. Seems to me is has originated from the inside. at some point I will pop the card off and see what is what.
Old 4th April 2023, 09:22   #10
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Thumbs up Think that's got it covered !!

Well , I suspect Nobby has nailed it unfortunately ! Searching on the net I find too many cases of paint fade associated with cars under a cover and the same apparent cause – water / damp under the cover , hot sun , water reaches and changes the paint beneath the lacquer. Usually the only solution is a respray – although I have seen one suggestion that hot sun once again back on the uncovered roof might get the paint to return to it’s original colour ( not too sure about that!) . So , this trapped moisture argument looks very strong . Although I might , now have a cover on for the very worst of winter I will remove it from early spring – as things warm up - and never leave on through summer at all. I will , of course , get my whitegold diesel resprayed later this year too. Probably turn one of my car covers into a garden tent for the grand kids !

Hope other club members learn from this thread and thanks to all who contributed.

Good luck
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote