Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2022, 11:18   #1
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Default New Lion Battery low volts

I have used the same battery since I bought the car 5 years ago. I have just bought a new Lion because the old battery volts were dropping to 12.5 or between 12.3 to 12.6 volts instead of holding 13+ volts after driving the car. And so the drop led me to think a battery which is at least 5 years old and droping below the 12.4 volts needed to keep it in good shape will soon fade and be unusable.

But the new Lion battery from Europarts with vat is £90+ and no better. It came from Europarts at 12.4 volts charge (5 days ago) and after I drove 50/60 motorway miles (with alternator giving out 14.3/14/4 volts) the battery has moments of being at 13.4 volts after driving but then settles between 12.2 volts to never higher than 12.5 or 12.6 volts. Is this acceptable for a new battery?

Last edited by Ed3; 20th October 2022 at 22:04..
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 11:41   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

A 50-60 mile drive will only put about 6-10Ah into the battery depending on duration of the drive. You have no idea how long the battry had sat on the supplier's shelf and its state of charge.

The first thing I would do with a new battery would be to fully charge it off the car prior to fitting.

Personally, I would have spent £90 on a Bosch (S5008), Varta(E44) or Exide (EA722) from a company like Tanya batteries. Lion are a low-cost battery.

Last edited by MSS; 20th October 2022 at 11:44..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 11:54   #3
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Thanks MSS, I agree with your choice of battery. Europarts said £75 for a Lion on the phone and when I turned up to collect they very late on said over £90+ because VAT is added.
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 12:03   #4
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

How is this being measured? Connected up (like my Android head unit that gives a readout or on the IPK) or disconnected from the car?

I'm assuming you have a multimeter?

Ideally disconnect the battery and leave it a few hours to dissipate any "surface charge." Popping the headlights on for a couple of minutes before disconnecting will pretty much do the same thing.

If your alternator is pushing out 14+V then that sounds fine.

See what figures that gives. If it's up around 12.7V that's OK

PS Possibly too late now but the ECP price is way too much. Use Tayna Batteries and look at a Varta E44. Way more CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) & a 5 year warranty and less than the £90+ you mentioned. Following a recommendation from Arctic I've used them, great company to deal with.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e44/

PPS. Just realised that MSS has beaten me to it .

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 20th October 2022 at 12:06..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 13:44   #5
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
A 50-60 mile drive will only put about 6-10Ah into the battery depending on duration of the drive. You have no idea how long the battry had sat on the supplier's shelf and its state of charge.

The first thing I would do with a new battery would be to fully charge it off the car prior to fitting.

Personally, I would have spent £90 on a Bosch (S5008), Varta(E44) or Exide (EA722) from a company like Tanya batteries. Lion are a low-cost battery.
Agree, send it back and get a Bosch, Lion batteries are poor!, do not waste your time.
Also check your alternator!.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 14:15   #6
drewbie
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club SE 1.8T 03 plate.

Regardless of make and longevity most healthy batteries will measure around 12.5 volts after standing for a few hours. As said, as long as you are getting about 14.2 volts with the engine running to prove its charging ok thats fine.
drewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 14:53   #7
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
I have used the same battery since I bought the car 5 years ago. I have just bought a new Lion because the old battery volts were dropping to 12.5 or between 12.3 to 12.6 volts instead of holding 13+ volts after driving the car. And so the drop led me to think a battery which is at least 5 years old and roping below 12.4 volts needed to keep it in good shape will soon fade and be unusable.

But the new Lion battery from Europarts with vat is £90+ and no better. It came from Europarts at 12.4 volts charge (5 days ago) and after I drove 50/60 motorway miles (with alternator giving out 14.3/14/4 volts) the battery has moments of being at 13.4 volts after driving but then settles between 12.2 volts to never higher than 12.5 or 12.6 volts. Is this acceptable for a new battery?
If you can, personally I'd return the Lion battery and get a Bosch S5 from Tayna Batteries. It is about the best you will get to be fair. Or the Varta one that Andy linked to above. Varta make the OE BMW batteries, either one will be more than good enough.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s5008/
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 14:57   #8
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
If you can, personally I'd return the Lion battery and get a Bosch S5 from Tayna Batteries. It is about the best you will get to be fair. Or the Varta one that Andy linked to above. Varta make the OE BMW batteries, either one will be more than good enough.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s5008/
Must admit I've found Lion batteries to be very average performers , have to agree with the Tayna option , used them a few times and always had good service .
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 15:01   #9
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstrover View Post
Must admit I've found Lion batteries to be very average performers , have to agree with the Tayna option , used them a few times and always had good service .
Average is rating them a bit high from what I've heard to be fair. They don't last long at all in a BMW as there are a lot of electrical systems drawing stupid amounts of power. I've got an S5 004 currently sat next to me that came from Tayna for my dads Focus. Ordered Tuesday, came Wednesday. Can't complain at that.
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 16:23   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Edward III but not a king

Return the battery and get a varta E44 i have just bought one for the NUK.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e44/

The voltage which your battery is kept at plays a major role in determining the overall service life you'll get out of it. For example - a battery which is kept fully charged at all times will last much longer than one which has been undercharged or kept at a reduced voltage.

To check the voltage you'll need a voltmeter, which can be purchased cheaply from most major automotive parts stores. Check the voltage of your battery using the voltmeter to help determine your next course of action.

12.6V volts or above - Your battery is healthy and fully charged. No further action is required.
12.5 volts - Your battery is at a healthy state of charge, but we'd recommend re-checking it within a few days to ensure the voltage hasn't dropped any further.
12.1 - 12.4 volts - Your battery is partially discharged and should be recharged as soon as possible, using a suitable battery charger. The lifespan of your battery will be moderately affected if it remains within this voltage range for extended periods of time.
12.0 volts or below - At 12.0 volts your battery is considered to be fully discharged or 'flat' and should be recharged as soon as possible. The lifespan of your battery will be severely affected if it remains within this voltage range for extended periods of time.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote