Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2nd October 2022, 09:12   #1
Teddydog

Rover 75 Tourer (23600 miles)

Default Water in both footwells Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi Facelift Tourer

Hi, I bought my Rover 75 from new in 2006 and love it, for most of it’s life it has been kept in a garage not being used and treasured, it only has 24000 miles on the clock. Due to my other car being in an accident I have had to bring the Rover out of retirement,

My Rover has a lot of water in both footwells front and rear. I have checked and cleared the plenum chamber drains and also the drain under the bonnet near the passenger side hinge.

Clearing these drains did not cure the problem.

I think it might now be either the sunroof drains or the windscreen leaking but I am not sure.

I am worried if I don't get this leak sorted out my car might be damaged irreparably.

I would like to know if there is any one living near Bolton or Manchester or a garage who is knowledgeable I could pay to correct this problem for me as I am 75 years old now so struggling to clear the sunroof drains would be too much for me.
p { line-height: 115%; margin-bottom: 0.25cm; background: transparent }

Well I have been doing some more investigation into the water leak problem I have. Today I found the drain holes for the sunroof, I couldn't see them when I last looked for them.

I have tried pouring some water from a bottle into each drain, the water appears as a puddle in each footwell and a small amount shows up near the wheel arch on each side.

So this is at least one of the problems if not the only problem so now I need someone to pay near to Bolton or Manchester to help me rectify the sunroof drains.

Are there any offers or can someone recommend a garage who knows how to do this?

Last edited by Teddydog; 2nd October 2022 at 12:12.. Reason: new information
Old 2nd October 2022, 10:22   #2
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Unfortunately I can't give you a helpful answer but experieced the same problem with my low mileage 75 which does not have a sunshine roof.
Two issues, rear light seals allowed water to fill the spare wheel space then flow into the footwells. Also suspected plenum chamber leak from the drain under the servo, requiring its removal to sort. Currently interior dry but totally stripped out. As I'm nearly 75 the decision is to reassemble the car or pass it on for someone else to complete.
Old 2nd October 2022, 11:07   #3
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

I am the second owner of a 06 CDTi facelift saloon that has had wild levels of rain leaks when with the first owner. I now have the car all dry and clean but to previously and still check for rain leaks I use tissues and dusters stuffed in lots of places, placed with gaps between them.

Which tissues/dusters get wet tells me the path of the rain water.

The tissues/dusters (I use both) also soak up the rain water as it comes in which I find helps.
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:10   #4
Teddydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddydog View Post
Hi, I bought my Rover 75 from new in 2006 and love it, for most of it’s life it has been kept in a garage not being used and treasured, it only has 24000 miles on the clock. Due to my other car being in an accident I have had to bring the Rover out of retirement,

My Rover has a lot of water in both footwells front and rear. I have checked and cleared the plenum chamber drains and also the drain under the bonnet near the passenger side hinge.

Clearing these drains did not cure the problem.

I think it might now be either the sunroof drains or the windscreen leaking but I am not sure.

I am worried if I don't get this leak sorted out my car might be damaged irreparably.

I would like to know if there is any one living near Bolton or Manchester or a garage who is knowledgeable I could pay to correct this problem for me as I am 75 years old now so struggling to clear the sunroof drains would be too much for me.
Well I have been doing some more investigation into the water leak problem I have. Today I found the drain holes for the sunroof, I couldn't see them when I last looked for them.

I have tried pouring some water from a bottle into each drain, the water appears as a puddle in each footwell and a small amount shows up near the wheel arch on each side.

So this is at least one of the problems if not the only problem so now I need someone to pay near to Bolton or Manchester to help me rectify the sunroof drains.

Are there any offers or can someone recommend a garage who knows how to do this?
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:34   #5
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I had a similar problem with my tourer. The sunroof drain tube on the front nearside had parted company with the corresponding fitting in the bulkhead, allowing water into the nearside footwell. I had to remove the seats, centre console and carpets in order to dry out the interior. The carpets take a lot of drying, as the underlay is really thick.

I checked the offside front drain and discovered that it had already had a repair prior to me owning it.

It might be worth talking to Horners of Swinton, ex-Horners MG Rover people and they seem to get good reviews on here.

http://www.hornersarc.co.uk/

Edit: I believe the rear light seals are only a problem with the saloon.

Last edited by daveo138; 2nd October 2022 at 12:36.. Reason: Added text
Old 2nd October 2022, 13:09   #6
Teddydog

Thanks p { line-height: 115%; margin-bottom: 0.25cm; background: transparent }a:link { color: #000080; so-language: zxx; text-decoration: underline }a:visited { color: #800000; so-language: zxx; text-decoration: underline }daveo138 and all, I will give Horners a call in the morning.

Best wishes John
Old 2nd October 2022, 14:24   #7
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Let us know how you get on.
Old 2nd October 2022, 20:33   #8
cat
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Artic's guide is probably the answer

Hi there,

Have a look at this

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=118622

If only Arctic had produced the Haynes manual.

Last edited by cat; 2nd October 2022 at 20:36..
Old 2nd October 2022, 21:22   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2roverman View Post
Unfortunately I can't give you a helpful answer but experieced the same problem with my low mileage 75 which does not have a sunshine roof.
Two issues, rear light seals allowed water to fill the spare wheel space then flow into the footwells. Also suspected plenum chamber leak from the drain under the servo, requiring its removal to sort. Currently interior dry but totally stripped out. As I'm nearly 75 the decision is to reassemble the car or pass it on for someone else to complete.
Rear light seals. Easy to fix. Bathroom silicon on the seals.--Did mine 10 years ago and still leak proof. Drill a couple of 1/8 diameter holes in the bottom of the wheel well to clear the water.

Plenum chamber. See the --How-To-- section of the forum to get info on the work required for rodding access .

Both jobs easy. I did my plenum chamber just a few weeks ago.---( I'm 85 years old.---) so get to it young man.--

Old 8th October 2022, 12:30   #10
Teddydog

Hi, I have booked my Rover 75 Tourer estate into Horners garage to have the front sunroof drains repaired.

I have been searching on the forum for any articles on repairing the rear sunroof drains but I have not found on the forum anywhere that shows explicitly where the rear drains exit in the Tourer estate.

I found one article which showed the drains exiting in the boot but I think that might have been the saloon

Interestingly Honers say they have never had to repair the sunroof drains on a Rover 75 so I hope they will be able to repair mine.

The rear passenger wells are full of water so for the time being I have put some polythene over the sunroof and stuck it down with duck tape.

Can anyone tell me what the procedure is to repair the rear sunroof drains on a Rover 75 Tourer estate additionally I am unsure on how to get to the front drivers side sunroof drain so any help there would also be appreciated, specifically which panels need to be removed.
Closed Thread