Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th May 2020, 15:19   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default How to extract the EWS (key coding) box

A moral and a warning. First never take a walk where there’s long undergrowth and your keys can possibly slip out unnoticed, never to be found again. And never attempt to extricate the vital EWS box if you suffer from a bad back.

But on with the story. If you ever lose your keys and need a duplicate you will need to remove the well hidden EWS key coding box that lies roughly six inches from your right knee, but is buried beneath three panels and a mounting bracket, and a lighting switch module. And takes three-quarters of an hour to remove. And a gymnastically manoeuvrable back. A vital bit you will need but may not have is a five point security key size TS30. These are like Torx bits but have five points not six. Not knowing what size I needed I bought a set from here.

(Haynes has a limited info on pages 11.31). First remove the two driver’s lower panels, secured by two screws then pull towards you. And the one above the pedals with two clearly visible turnbuckles with three holes in that you undo by hand. Then undo three screws that hold the light switch module and pull out.

To unplug pull the white holding bracket forward. (Haynes p 12.5). You then need to unclip the wiring plug.

Next remove the panel by your right foot that goes down to the carpet and covers the bonnet release latch. There is a clip at the far end and wiggle it free. Finally you must remove the black plastic holding bracket that holds the diagnostic plug. This is held by two screws at the back and one close to the bonnet latch. Remove and then unclip the wiring plug.

Now you can see the EWS grey box held against the A pillar and cleverly smothered by a large bunch of cables by contorting yourself on your back. This is where you need your tamper proof bit on a long extension to undo two bolts. Mine were fortunately not tight and once loosened I could twiddle off by hand.

With great glee separate from the metal holding bracket and unplug the wiring.

Now post off with a cut key - preferably to BigRuss - to whom I am most grateful for holding my hand, metaphorically, over 300 miles away.

(While BigRuss and a few others can happily code a new key they will need the car to code in the remote as that operates via a different box.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lighting module.jpg (70.3 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg lighting module pic2.jpg (86.5 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg EWS box pic 1.jpg (124.2 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg EWS box pic 2.jpg (128.8 KB, 217 views)