Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd January 2019, 16:07   #1
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Cool Broken Bonnet Release Cable

How'do folks

My first Issue of this year has arrived - Broken Bonnet Release Cable o/s latch end.....

it's already been a pain in the **** getting to the Junction box to determine the problem - the o/s Cable (longer of the 2) has definitely snapped as it pulls right out

Is there any way to access the Latch to release the Pin ? - or is it going to have to be a hacksaw job to cut the Pin ?

New Cable, New Pin(?) required and I assume Slam Panel removed to fit a New Cable ?

I'll have a better look tomorrow in the daylight and see if I can figure a way of releasing the Pin to open the Bonnet - other than cutting.

I'll get a New Hacksaw Blade ready tho

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:30   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Offside? if it's the longer cable, then it's nearside Paul, and yes you will need to hacksaw through the pin

So pop the side that still works, then wedge the bonnet as high as you can get it, tape something to protect the leading edge of the bonnet, and cut through the striker pin.

The nipple will have rotted off the end of the cable......let's just say I've been here recently

Part number for the long cable is FSE000140 and the striker pin FPJ100170

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 16:39   #3
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Offside? if it's the longer cable, then it's nearside Paul, and yes you will need to hacksaw through the pin

So pop the side that still works, then wedge the bonnet as high as you can get it, tape something to protect the leading edge of the bonnet, and cut through the striker pin.

The nipple will have rotted off the end of the cable......let's just say I've been here recently

Part number for the long cable is FSE000140 and the striker pin FPJ100170

Brian

lol...aye, my mistake - n/s it is

ooooh this sounds like FUN I best wait until I have the replacement parts.

cheers Brian

Paul.
Old 3rd January 2019, 13:37   #4
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Cool

I decided i'd have a wee look at the Vehicle Dismantlers (Sports Car Breakers Newbridge) for a replacement Striker Pin - only one 75 in and a 45 as back-up for Pins - the Pins on the 75 were better and as a Bonus the cables and Latches were Good too No sign of corrosion on the Cable Ends and the latches moved freely (while still fitted) so I removed these and a couple of other wee bits.

I'm more than Happy to fit these used Cables/Latches - they came off a Contemporary so not the most aged of used parts i'll give them a wee clean/grease before fitting.

Paul.
Old 3rd January 2019, 19:44   #5
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Cool

All Sorted now

a bit of a pain in the **** but easy enough - I replaced the broken cable and it's latch with the one I got today - and, I only replaced the Pin part of the Striker Pin as the backplate/base on the 2 i picked up today had the pin set a bit off 90 degrees - both my originals are at 90 degrees to the base.

Glad it's done now and it was cheap enough with used parts

Paul.
Old 3rd January 2019, 20:06   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I feel your pain Paul, on the ZT because the bumper has been adjusted to give an acceptable bonnet shut line, it was very very tight, and I could only use a hacksaw blade with a cloth wrapped around it !!

However I did warm some ABS sheet with a blowlamp, and form it around the leading edge of the bonnet, and over the top of the bumper, to protect them from damage.

When I removed the cable and box, the outer cable was perfect, so I bought a barrel nipple cable from the local pushbike shop, and machined up a matching"trunnion" nipple with a grub screw to secure the other end.

So the complete job was done in about three hours, and less than a fiver.

Needless to say, the latch boxes were carefully cleaned, treated and painted, then packed with grease in the vulnerable areas.

Not a nice job

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3960[1].jpg (128.4 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3961[1].jpg (142.6 KB, 121 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2019, 23:50   #7
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

I never bothered trying to wedge the bonnet - I could see enough of the Pin to get in with a Hacksaw Blade - so ended up Holding a Hacksaw Blade too it takes a minute - the last wee bit of material held on and didn't want to yield

it's definitely a lot of work/hassle for a simple Cable replacement after getting the Bonnet open too - easy enough i suppose, just seems extreme.

Paul.