Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th December 2018, 08:35   #1
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Question May I go for an Android?

I reckon my upper console is aesthetically rather outdated and dull.

Given I've got & I wish to keep functioning:

- low line GPS (in perfect working order, even I don't use it, being outdated as well - with instructions appearing above the dials)
- 6 CD changer (I'm using it rather often).

Questions:

- which good, nice & efficient Android do you suggest that might match with the wishes above and that should be a perfect swapping directly keeping functioning the remote audio control?
- Is it a not too fiddly job?

I know that my wish to keep the old GPS may look very odd: but I would love to keep the car in the same condition as it was when going out of the factory or at least with the possibility to go back as it was without any problem.
I guess there should be another up-to-date GPS in the Android devices but would it accept to swap to another language than English (French obviously) and what about the maps & the update/upgrade out of the UK?

Thank you so much to enlighten me (eventually with links)!
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s

Last edited by Dorchester2; 4th December 2018 at 08:39..
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 09:46   #2
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Member jubbarelly is the person to talk to regarding Android units for our cars. Having said that though, I doubt you'll find one that supports the CD changer, it's all iPods, SD cards, and Bluetooth streaming these days (and even iPods are a little "old hat" now).

You should, however, be able to leave the CD changer in place so you can re-instate it in future should you ever remove the Android unit.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 11:04   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Just a slight reservation: I recently bought a Xtrons unit from Jubbarelly, good service, replied to my questions quickly which is more than can be said for the other bloke.

The unit itself is brilliant, good sound, and interface, I found the Android system easy to use even though this was my first introduction. Maps run much faster compared to the old Win unit.

What let it down was the poor fitting compared to my old Win unit. After trimming the lugs etc I got it to fit but when I attached the leads it didn’t. The click on aerial plug was a particular problem and even removing some insulation didn’t help much. It still sticks out a couple of mm at the bottom even with the aerial plug butchered. I note that the ones on his website now support a conventional socket aerial.

Forget about the CD changer and use the space for other needs. Modern SD (micro) cards support many times that of the CD changer with no delay.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2018, 16:33   #4
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Wink

Thank you to you both for your enlightening explanations.

I fear @Teflon as you said that I'm a bit of an old hat!
I'm very fond of my CD changer: I've a heap of CDs at home I'm no longer listening at so the only moment I can appreciate them is in my car when cruising along to a distant destination.
I've got a Chinese device as well that allows me to have access at my phone playlist plus a micro SD attached to it and well provided with another large playlist.

Not so nice with those wires I must admit, but the one going up on the right is for my TomTom GPS and all those little monkey tails on the lower part are now hidden. But I haven't any picture up my sleeves at the moment.

@vitesse there's no way I may butcher my aerial plug or take off any insulation! Shocking thoughts!

Hence I think I've no other solution than keeping things as they are: after all they are working fine, that's the main purpose. I know what I'm after and I can remain happy with that.
Thanks!
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s
Old 1st February 2019, 07:51   #5
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Question Any chance it may work in my 75?

I don't want to look stubborn but I would love moving to a nice Android device and gaining some new useful functions without losing anything in the change, like two steps forward but one backward...
I've got a heap of lovely CDs at home and it would be a pita job to transform all those in playlists...
Hence poking around on Ebay I've found this adapter:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GROM-Audi...JuMq:rk:3:pf:1

Is there any chance that device or any other of the kind (in case this one may be a wrong & useless one) may work & do a bridge between a new Android stereo car and my poor lonesome 6 CD changer?
Or any kind of connection via the AUX socket for example?

Thank you for your skills & patience mates!

Last edited by Dorchester2; 1st February 2019 at 08:16..
Old 1st February 2019, 13:06   #6
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

I suspect not. The device you've linked to does the opposite of what you're after: it allows your current head unit to "talk" to a 'phone or iPod in order that you can use the music playing facility of the 'phone (or iPod) to replace your CD changer.

Before getting my WIN CE head unit, I had the same unit as you currently have, and used one of those devices to connect my iPod to the car stereo. It worked really well, but I had to disconnect the CD player to install it.

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 14:10   #7
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Wink

TBH if I wish I could upgrade my stereo it's just for the look with shiny colours, modern menus and sensitive keys, the original black front-end looking a little dull & boring (mainly without Simon upgrades...).
But I'm lucky enough thanks to a Bluetooth device pointing to an unaffected position on FM band (108Mhz for example), to perfectly connect my Android phone for example with its musical playlist. Moreover that astute & discreet device is also accepting a smart card in which I've put another playlist as well.
Hence added to my precious 6CD changer I'll be not short of musical delights along the long journeys!
Anyhow in a period that isn't sparing of amazing technical progresses I'm gobsmacked that such a device connecting any new Android stereo with an older CD changer is still to be found if ever...
The reason is I want absolutely to keep my 75 in her original condition with a minimum changes that could ever be retroactive, thus no butchery inside or outside.

To conclude with I'm feeling very lonely with my stupid tantrum, since nobody looks interested by that trick but me...
I'm a poor lonesome old boy!

Last edited by Dorchester2; 1st February 2019 at 14:17..
Old 1st February 2019, 20:26   #8
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Sorry to be another one saying forget the CDs but....
A couple of years ago I bought a JVC KD-X320BT for £47 It has a USB connection on the front and I copied just about my entire music collection to a Kingston Micro USB - it sticks just a few mm and, being black, is very discrete.
The unit has Bluetooth so no need for wires to connect to devices. If the phone rings I touch the voice button to answer it, if I want to text the missus to say I'm on my way, I touch the voice button and dictate the text. I also have music on my phone so if I feel like it I can say "Play Rolling Stones" and it will. I can also touch the button then say "Get directions to Home" and the phone's sat-nav will guide me home.
Its a single-din unit so I have also gained a bit of extra storage.
I also bought an adapter so the steering wheel controls still work :¬)

I've kept the original unit and intend to wire it up in the garage someday.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote