Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th June 2018, 07:17   #1
Tingers
Regular poster

Remapped Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi SE Saloon

Default 75 Diesel - Manual Gearbox Leak

Hi all

After a bit of effort investigating the loss of oil from my gearbox I have finally pinned it down to a worn out gasket. I tightened the bolts a bit to see if that had any effect but regrettably it didn't.

Before I spend the inevitable bucket load of money getting this fixed has anyone had any experience using a "Stop Leak" product that I have seen advertised on the net?

I'm not a cynic (!) but I don't want to fill my gearbox with gunk that a) doesn't work and b) messes the gearbox up.

Or it could be the miracle product I need ...

Thanks!

She's the love of my life - the wife's not too bad either
Tingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 12:28   #2
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingers View Post
Hi all

After a bit of effort investigating the loss of oil from my gearbox I have finally pinned it down to a worn out gasket. I tightened the bolts a bit to see if that had any effect but regrettably it didn't.

Before I spend the inevitable bucket load of money getting this fixed has anyone had any experience using a "Stop Leak" product that I have seen advertised on the net?

I'm not a cynic (!) but I don't want to fill my gearbox with gunk that a) doesn't work and b) messes the gearbox up.

Or it could be the miracle product I need ...

Thanks!
What gasket do you think is leaking?

Don't put gunk in you box!
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 16:20   #3
Tingers
Regular poster

When under the car it looks like the large transmission gasket - the gasket closest to the engine - is leaking. It looks like it is a thin metal gasket from what I could make out but may be wrong there.

It's going to be the classic case of a couple of hundred £ to fit a £20 part - ah well.

Gunk is officially ruled out! I'd rather fork out to have the job done properly.

Thanks!

Old 20th June 2018, 16:29   #4
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Assuming its a manual, its probably the clutch slave cylinder leaking
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 16:43   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I think if you look under the gearbox there is a machined hole. Goodness knows what it is for, may be you can wangle a finger I there see what oil is there.
I'm not sure that gasket is an oil gasket as there is no oil in the bell housing but an oil seal on the gearbox shaft that goes from clutch slave into gear box.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2018, 18:06   #6
Daveluck
Gets stuck in

75 saloon 2.0 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I think if you look under the gearbox there is a machined hole. Goodness knows what it is for, may be you can wangle a finger I there see what oil is there.
I'm not sure that gasket is an oil gasket as there is no oil in the bell housing but an oil seal on the gearbox shaft that goes from clutch slave into gear box.

macafee2
Yes from bell house to engine there is a metal plate but I don't think k you can call it a casket, besides on that join there is nothing to seal as such.

Where about is it leaking?is it dripping from the hole that macafee has said? If it is then it could be fluid from the clutch system or it could be gearbox oil leaking from box into the bell housing because of a failed seal.

Post a photo or something!

Can you tell what colour the oil is?
Daveluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2018, 22:52   #7
Tingers
Regular poster

It's definitely gear box oil as I lost about a litre of the stuff over the course of 6 days. The underside of the car has a fine coating unfortunately. At over £10 a litre this is a costly way to run the car!

I had the clutch slave cylinder replaced about 2 1/2 years ago so hopefully that is still sound.

The drip seems to appear at the bottom of the metal plate that Dave mentions but could be leaking from anywhere above it. If I get a chance I'll take some pics tomorrow and post here.

Thanks

Old 22nd June 2018, 06:37   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Chances are it is the gearbox input shaft seal. Cheap enough part, but the box has to come off to replace it.

Worth checking that the input shaft is running true with no excessive play whilst the box is off as either fault can accelerate wear on the seal.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 22nd June 2018 at 06:46..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 18:23   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

just check the drive shaft oil seals to make sure it is not one of those leaking and oil is running down the bell housing.

How are your DIY skills, this job is not for the faint hearted but with a little but invaluable help, the getting off and refitting of the gearbox can be done DIY. I don't know enough about the oil seal to comment.

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2018, 22:28   #10
Tingers
Regular poster

Thanks for all the advice and tips - I would love to have a go myself at fixing this problem but don't have access to a hydraulic ramp or pit - or time to be honest! I'm going to take the car to my mechanic next week to check out and fix the problem with credit card at the ready. I'll update this thread once I find out what the problem is in the hopes it may help anyone else with a similar issue.

Cheers!