Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th October 2017, 15:50   #1
janniroux
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Does not start

HAVE 2006 75 Connoisseur
Battery test at 12.2 v
Dash Board Lights comes on, but starter does not turn .
Please
janniroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 16:07   #2
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janniroux View Post
HAVE 2006 75 Connoisseur
Battery test at 12.2 v
Please
Your battery should be around 14 volts, I would suggest that you put it on charge for at least 2 hrs, and it also sounds like to have a bad connection to the starter motor, take off the connector to the starter motor, clean the contacts and nip the female connector up a little, then re-attached and see what happens

Stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 21:33   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
Your battery should be around 14 volts, I would suggest that you put it on charge for at least 2 hrs, and it also sounds like to have a bad connection to the starter motor, take off the connector to the starter motor, clean the contacts and nip the female connector up a little, then re-attached and see what happens

Stu
A charged battery will be about 12.6 volts or a little higher.

2 hours charge is a waste of time 24 hours minimum is needed.---

The alternator will be charging at around 14.4 volts.

Mr Fusilier Sir.

Please go and have a read about batteries in the section at the top of the main called--Really, Really useful information--- Tells you all about batteries and charging.---

Colvert.

Last edited by COLVERT; 16th October 2017 at 21:42..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 21:52   #4
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
HAVE 2006 75 Connoisseur
Battery test at 12.2 v
Please

Howzit Janni, put your engine type in your signature, it will help people to diagnose your issue related to your car easier.

As below check the female connector onto the starter-motor solenoid.

Craig
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 08:07   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
HAVE 2006 75 Connoisseur
Battery test at 12.2 v
What happens to the voltage when you turn the ignition key to the 'start' position?

It decreases? Charge battery as recommended by Mr. Colvert.
It remains the same? Check the starter motor connection as suggested by Mr. Spyder.

Please let us know how you get on.

Simon
Old 17th October 2017, 10:35   #6
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
12.2 volts is ok for a battery that has been sitting for a few hours or longer. Each cell has a nominal voltage of 2 volts, on charge they can rise to 2.2 volts each or 14.4 volts for a 6 cell or what we know as a 12 volt battery. More importantly though as has been said it the voltage under load, turning on the ignition will always reduce the voltage on the battery terminals, this is because every battery under the sun has an internal resistance, older batteries can have a higher internal resistance and this is one reason it may not crank the engine. The instantaneous current on a starter can be as much as 600 amps on a diesel. Anyway I digress. If just switching on the ignition and the volts drop to 11 or close to it either the battery needs a charge or binned. In the first instance I'd have tried a jump start. If no results check for voltage when turning the key to the start position at the thin lead on the starter. If you have volts then the starter needs overhauled or replaced.

P.S. expect the battery volts to drop by 0.2 - 0.3v when just turning on the ignition, any more than 0.5v you may have a weak battery. Turning the ignition further to the start position and its accompanied by a rapid clicking I'd definitely say you've a duff battery, also if turning the key to the start position and there is no further drop you either have no supply (poor connections) to the solenoid or a duff starter.

Last edited by murphyv310; 17th October 2017 at 10:42..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 12:56   #7
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Diesel starter motor current draw----150 amps.---( R75. )

At 12.2 volts the battery is close to being flat. ( ie. not its shape.-- but not containing enough electricity to do any work. )

The general consensus of a lead/acid battery cell is 2.15 volts in very good condition and fully charged.---
Old 17th October 2017, 16:12   #8
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Diesel starter motor current draw----150 amps.---( R75. )

At 12.2 volts the battery is close to being flat. ( ie. not its shape.-- but not containing enough electricity to do any work. )

The general consensus of a lead/acid battery cell is 2.15 volts in very good condition and fully charged.---
Hi.
Initial current is always much higher as the starter needs to run up to speed before the current levels out. It's like pushing a car that is stationary, you need a lot more effort to get it moving than keeping it going, same thing applies.
Check the voltage of your battery in the morning or after a few hours and it will be anything from 12.2 to 13 volts,. The best test is on load, one reason garages had those testers that loaded the battery up with a 50 amp load. My Fiat reads 12.3v in the morning and fires up instantly, it's only a 36AH battery too.

P.S. I use cyclon batteries in some of my electronics stuff. At 2v they are regarded as fully charged. They are lead acid

Last edited by murphyv310; 17th October 2017 at 16:21..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 19:47   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
Initial current is always much higher as the starter needs to run up to speed before the current levels out. It's like pushing a car that is stationary, you need a lot more effort to get it moving than keeping it going, same thing applies.
Check the voltage of your battery in the morning or after a few hours and it will be anything from 12.2 to 13 volts,. The best test is on load, one reason garages had those testers that loaded the battery up with a 50 amp load. My Fiat reads 12.3v in the morning and fires up instantly, it's only a 36AH battery too.

P.S. I use cyclon batteries in some of my electronics stuff. At 2v they are regarded as fully charged. They are lead acid
If you have a bit of spare time have a look in here. Interesting.---

batteryuniversity.com
Old 18th October 2017, 18:46   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.

Just out of curiosity, as you seem to be getting slightly lower voltage readings than other folk, have you ever tried another multimeter ??

Or the on board voltage check ???

I'm thinking that your mutimeter is reading a bit low.----