Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd October 2016, 10:37   #1
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Default Returned "Rover" requires resonanace advice

Having explained on earlier Forum posts, have only recently returned to the Rover Community after leaving in 2008 after a catastrophic suspension failure on a Rover 75 connesiour Auto 2.0CDti.The car having been supplied by Jules was immaculate (as only Jules can do) just 15000,but so much damage, lost confidence, but now I'm back.
My present vehicle is a one owner 2003 Rover 75 Tourer 2.0CDti Auto Diesel Club SE with 80.000 on the clock. Being the SE it virtually has the same interior spec and accessories as connesiour,no leather seats and not electric,but everything else is in place including reversing sensors.Condition was so good at £2000 just could not turn it down.
In order to get vehicle to my required level playing field, it was handed over to a trusted garage for 90,000 full service (all belts all fluids), repairs to worn suspension drop arms, new exhaust, replacement of warranty covered power steering pump,full health check (100% pass),MOT..cost £1500.
My next move is to standardise tyres as at the moment although in good nick they are a miss match of styles. After a lot of hours researching and reading reviews from major bodies, I have settled for four KUMHO 215/55R16 97W Ecsta HS51,overall they came out best for braking, rolling resistance, comfort and low noise levels.B.C.69db..Long time since I priced tyres amazed at how high prices have been hiked! These four fitted, balanced etc (no disposal charges as keeping present tyres)cost £298.
Having briefly explained all the ins and outs now come to crux of post, I'm experiencing resonance when pulling away(cold) from below car (@ 1800/1900rpm),also vibration and interior noise levels at all speeds: higher than I seem to recall? Anything I can examine which might be or could be responsible? Or could the standardisation of tyres take care of it?
I am considering sending car back to garage for full inspection on exhaust fittings/floor panels etc. Is it worth having engine/transmission mountings accessed? Considering that getting to some mountings could work out expensive, and I'm just about spent out now as far as car is concerned and the missus!!!Appreciate could be over reacting, but love Rovers and just want it right! But got to stop chasing my tail asap.
Any valued advice appreciated...and NO the car stays!!
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 10:48   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Seem to remember from somewhere, that it could be linked to the roof lining & roof spars The problem ceased when the roof lining was pressed against the roof, if so, the spars may have come adrift & will need refitting I may have imagined this of course Hope this helps
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 12:52   #3
wmick
Avid contributor

R75 Club Tourer CDT

I was reading a post yesterday on here (somewhere!) about someone having the same problem, sticking a bit of cardboard between the roof bar and the roof, which reduced the problem.
A more effective cure was by replacing the lower engine mount which had decayed somewhat.

Seems like an easy place to look and a quick and cheap job to replace it

Mick
wmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 14:59   #4
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

If it is the roof, it is usually between the 'B' posts. Check by pressing up the roof lining there when it happens.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 16:21   #5
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmick View Post
I was reading a post yesterday on here (somewhere!) about someone having the same problem, sticking a bit of cardboard between the roof bar and the roof, which reduced the problem.
A more effective cure was by replacing the lower engine mount which had decayed somewhat.

Seems like an easy place to look and a quick and cheap job to replace it

Mick
Hi Mick.
Most of the replies I have had refer to the roof, but with all thanks to replying member's, that area is very "sound", most noise and vibration appears to be emanating from diesel engine, so your link to lower engine mount sounds good, . As although mileage is only 80,000 it is after all 13 years old, so materials like rubber etc. does deteriorate, which is why I am looking at possible defects in areas such as mountings.....like the idea of it being cheap?? will put it up on ramps and take a quick look for myself. Again thanks.
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Old 23rd October 2016, 12:15   #6
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskin View Post
Hi Mick.
Most of the replies I have had refer to the roof, but with all thanks to replying member's, that area is very "sound", most noise and vibration appears to be emanating from diesel engine, so your link to lower engine mount sounds good, . As although mileage is only 80,000 it is after all 13 years old, so materials like rubber etc. does deteriorate, which is why I am looking at possible defects in areas such as mountings.....like the idea of it being cheap?? will put it up on ramps and take a quick look for myself. Again thanks.
Well Well. How good are you. My sincere thanks..
My lower engine mount is shot to pieces and not doing a thing!!So much for a 100% health check! Also discovered they had forgotten to replace under engine panel!!The another annoying thing is, that although they rightfully changed the suspension drop arm due to mounting failure! The lower engine support is almost right alongside the drop arm mount so how could they miss something so obvious??
Might add I'm now 76 (yesterday I was 16,where does the time go??),so crawling around on my back just isn't as easy as it used to be, so its a real pain after putting so much faith in this garage to find I have been let down. Have noted engine mounts on Ebay are only about £30 pt no: KKh90136A,or KKH 101385.Doesnt look too difficult to change so guess I will do it myself...any advice appreciated.
Old 23rd October 2016, 12:47   #7
wmick
Avid contributor

R75 Club Tourer CDT

Hi Derek, I'd go for this one:- https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...nuine-mg-rover if I were you. There's also a How to somewhere on here, but it's fairly obvious when you get under the beast.

Mick
wmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:18   #8
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmick View Post
Hi Derek, I'd go for this one:- https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...nuine-mg-rover if I were you. There's also a How to somewhere on here, but it's fairly obvious when you get under the beast.

Mick
Hi Mick Thanks for that. Did check your mounting link, but they appear not to be OEM and slightly more expensive when compared to MG/Rover suppliers on EBay,, selling genuine OEM parts with free postage trending at about £39??.Will also look up "how to" but have my trusty Haynes :plus having examined the offending beast it seems a simple task!!!So once again Mick my thanks.
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:35   #9
dad1uk
Loves to post

No Rover at the moment = Vauxhall

A very easy task to do. if the lower engine cover is off then it will take about 20 mins from start to finish!
I think you will be delighted at the difference it makes, and regarding the roof rattle, I think (may be wrong), it only happens on Tourers....
Old 23rd October 2016, 13:40   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

From another old codger ( 79 ) Change those tyres too.

It will help to avoid those vibrations though Kumho tyres do ride just that little bit hard. Should be quieter inside the car too.

I fitted those tyres to the wife's car and noticed the road noise was a little bit louder.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote