Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th August 2016, 10:55   #1
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Premium V8 Bumper and X Power Side Skirts Fitted

Hi all,

Thought I'd share what I'd been working on this week.

Finally got round to painting the premium bumper and x power side skirts I've had laying around for a long time now. The side skirts I've had for a bout a year now, just had no time to work on them!

The premium bumper is for my dad's 75 and has been painted PBT (was red), and my side skirts I've painted typhoon for my ZT. Was very lucky to get hold of a genuine MG Rover set (plastic ones) so they fitted perfectly. They were brand new too, never fitted.

Took some photo's along the way, took 3 days in total to sand down, primer, paint and lacquer these bits and then sand back, but very happy with the result considering the only thing I'd painted before this was my engine cover

Premium Bumper Primer Stage

Base Coat

Centre painted silver and then lacquered

and after fitting on Thursday night (before and after photos):

Side Skirts Base Coat:

Lacquered

and now fitted

just have the rear bumper pods left to fit today, will get some photos of the whole thing once done
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link

Last edited by Rick-sta; 6th August 2016 at 11:05..
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 12:04   #2
LotusLC
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi Auto / ZT-T Trophy Blue

Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,238 Posts

Good job Rick, the spats will finish the job off very nicely

https://i.imgur.com/Cwa3376m.jpg
LotusLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 12:07   #3
Dubya
Loves to post

2005 MG ZT-T+ V6 190

Loving that premium bumper!
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 12:38   #4
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Skirts looks great as does the bumper. Are you planning on wet sanding the bumper to improve the finish? It there is enough lacquer you should manage to.
7T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 13:24   #5
crown
Gets stuck in

mg zt saloon

Gorgeous mate.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]mods so far; auto boot lift mod, stainless steel back box, jvc double din head unit, vibe speakers, black oak dash, plenum mod, refurbished hairpins, retro fit illuminated sun visors k & n air filter,aero wipers.retro fit electric rear blind.
roewe front bumper with mg grill badge.new turbo vac pipes.
crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 14:49   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Did you paint the bumper with stonechip, after rubbing it down with a housebrick?

Sorry but that is one job that needs a professional to paint, otherwise.........well it's akin to spoiling the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar

You will have paid a handsome fee for the bumper, so why get not it done properly..........yuk!!!!!

Otherwise it's ok

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 15:42   #7
cazemi
Loves to post

75 oil burner ZX12R,ZRX1200R VN 1500,Uncle Bunt hardtail chop,

basic schoolboy error, "painting is easy"

i hope you had an air fed mask, did it in a well ventilated unpopulated area away from young kids or asthma sufferers.

the skirts by the way, would have had less airborne c r a p in them if you had lifted them up & not sprayed them on the floor, if they were sprayed somewhere else then layed on the floor, you have issues with the gun or laquer, did you use an ultra fine filter to strain the laquer/hardner mix & did you have a fine filter in the base of the gun? What tip/nozzle set up? HVLP or LVLP or "normal" gun?

how did you manage to buy the two pack paint? its not supposed to be for sale over the counter to "hobbyists" my local factors is plastered in signs warning of the consequences & fines.

My advice would be to set to with a bar of soap & some 2000/3000 wet n dry, a machine polisher & divine guidance, (so you dont rub/polish through & have to do it all again)
Old 6th August 2016, 19:10   #8
KRISTLEE
I really should get out more.......

None at the moment.

Looks great Rick, really wish I had your patience and attention to detail because everything you do seems to be 110% and the end result looks as good as if a paid professional has done the work. Well done mate.

Lee.

DONE: HAD A CRAZY IDEA THAT I HAD TO GET RID OF MY MG ZTT DUE TO NOT HAVING A DRIVE AND HAVING TO PARK ON A BUSY STREET WITH A VIEW TO GETTING ANOTHER ONE AT A LATER DATE WHEN I HAVE A DRIVE.

ENDED UP REALISING IT REALLY ISN'T PRACTICAL NOT HAVING A CAR TO GET AROUND AND I NOW OWN A VW EOS 3.2 V6 INDIVIDUAL (1 OF 20 REMAINING IN THE UK WITH THAT ENGINE AND TRIM COMBO) EVEN THOUGH I STILL LIVE ON A BUSY ROAD WITHOUT A DRIVE
KRISTLEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2016, 19:13   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazemi View Post
basic schoolboy error, "painting is easy"

i hope you had an air fed mask, did it in a well ventilated unpopulated area away from young kids or asthma sufferers.

the skirts by the way, would have had less airborne c r a p in them if you had lifted them up & not sprayed them on the floor, if they were sprayed somewhere else then layed on the floor, you have issues with the gun or laquer, did you use an ultra fine filter to strain the laquer/hardner mix & did you have a fine filter in the base of the gun? What tip/nozzle set up? HVLP or LVLP or "normal" gun?

how did you manage to buy the two pack paint? its not supposed to be for sale over the counter to "hobbyists" my local factors is plastered in signs warning of the consequences & fines.

My advice would be to set to with a bar of soap & some 2000/3000 wet n dry, a machine polisher & divine guidance, (so you dont rub/polish through & have to do it all again)
There is a good reason I farm paintwork out, in fact a couple........

1. I cannot paint to save my life, nor do I pretend I can do so

2. I know a highly skilled person who can, and when you have something as prized as a genuine premium front bumper, something that is supposed to set the car off in a good way, then paying the person with the necessary skill to produce a good job is small price to pay.

Sorry if my previous post seemed somewhat harsh, but truthfully the OP's dad's car looks much better with the standard bumper, and my advice would be to refit it until he can have the premium bumper painted properly

Brian
Old 6th August 2016, 19:18   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRISTLEE View Post
Looks great Rick, really wish I had your patience and attention to detail because everything you do seems to be 110% and the end result looks as good as if a paid professional has done the work. Well done mate.
No it doesn't Lee, it looks dreadful, I've seen less orange peel on a Jaffa

Rick, please get it painted professionally, painting is a skill few can master successfully, myself included, and it will be worth it to give your dad's car the nose job it really deserves

There is only one job I would never do, and that is paint a car.......remember the paint finish is what everyone sees, not the work behind it

Brian