Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2016, 07:23   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default once you have bought your house

once you have bought your house you reall get to look around it and spot things you had not seen before purchase.

Been at by daughters house, she has been in there 2 weeks and a few days.
The bathroom basin was slow to empty. wife had tried drain cleaner but it did not work so I took the U bend off. The start pattern where the plug was bising and in the u bend we found a top plastic dart, hair slide, marble and a 10ml/5ml white plastic medicen spoon.
Alas putting the u bend back the rubber tore and I could not get the same fitting to had to buy a new different fitting just to get the rubber.

Some kitchen lights work, some dont, found that a brocken 12v wire from a transformer is the culprit but i did not have the tools to fix it.

Tumble dryer vent is half way up the wall

kitchen electrics ar a mis mash of poor diy and are scary, needs re-doing.

A four gang socket, 2 dont work, 1 just flashes power as you flcik the switch and the fourth works. This needs removing.

My big prob;em is solid concerete or block floor which has been tiled and laminate floors above. Getting from fuse box across to the other side of the kitchen is a nightmare.

A lick of paint and may be new wall paper for most rooms will transform the house but it was an eye openre about how many tools I have collected over the years and frustrating the were all 150 or so miles away.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 07:45   #2
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

they can a bit of a mare.i bought a flat years ago that the previous owner had had a go at the electrics.including when you turned on the light in the hall the attic lit up.single sockets converted into doubles behind a false wall using 13 amp cable to connect them up.until i had it rewired i used to turn everything on wearing rubber gloves
Old 1st March 2016, 08:31   #3
steve1975
Banned

rover 75 saloon

same when you buy a car mate,start to notice things days after that don't work
steve1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 09:47   #4
Colin P
Gets stuck in

2003 Rover 75 Club SE CDT manual saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
once you have bought your house you reall get to look around it and spot things you had not seen before purchase.

Been at by daughters house, she has been in there 2 weeks and a few days.
The bathroom basin was slow to empty. wife had tried drain cleaner but it did not work so I took the U bend off. The start pattern where the plug was bising and in the u bend we found a top plastic dart, hair slide, marble and a 10ml/5ml white plastic medicen spoon.
Alas putting the u bend back the rubber tore and I could not get the same fitting to had to buy a new different fitting just to get the rubber.

Some kitchen lights work, some dont, found that a brocken 12v wire from a transformer is the culprit but i did not have the tools to fix it.

Tumble dryer vent is half way up the wall

kitchen electrics ar a mis mash of poor diy and are scary, needs re-doing.

A four gang socket, 2 dont work, 1 just flashes power as you flcik the switch and the fourth works. This needs removing.

My big prob;em is solid concerete or block floor which has been tiled and laminate floors above. Getting from fuse box across to the other side of the kitchen is a nightmare.

A lick of paint and may be new wall paper for most rooms will transform the house but it was an eye openre about how many tools I have collected over the years and frustrating the were all 150 or so miles away.

macafee2
When we bought the house previous to the current one the electric cooker and hob were not wven connected to the cooker switch SCARY .
Colin P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 14:14   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Worst one I heard was a mate of mine bought a new house with bay windows. Cracks started appearing either side of the bay . . . . the builder investigated and found the metal ties that go between the bricks between the "flat" wall and the bay were missing.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016, 17:50   #6
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

When we ripped the carpets up in the house we bought there were 4 internal doors nailed to cover a huge hole to what was left of the rotted joists & years later when we replaced the electrical fittings, one of the switched sockets had a wood screw in the fuse holder

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote