Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th February 2016, 18:45   #1
steve1975
Banned

rover 75 saloon

Default possible business opportunity...opinions please

i'm thinking of doing something a little differant in the way of a business...now it's not really a new concept but to be honest...not many people doing it,i came across the idea while walking round the local scrap yards,now there are quite a few cars in there with very nice interiors....jags,mercs,alfa's etc.
now the plan is to recycle (upcycle) call it what you will the seats in to a set of furniture for a mancave,shed well where ever you want really.there's a few company's local to me who could fabricate me the framework and another one to either chrome plate or powdercoat the frame (whichever the customers requires)...all i would be doing is basically sourcing the seats,cleaning them and possibly re-dying them,bolting them all together and shipping them out.
if they were power seats,i'd like to keep the fuctionalty of them so i'd need a 12v power source (battery) built into the base etc.
now it's only an idea at the minute but what do you guys think?
steve1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 18:49   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Terrific idea. Go for it if you feel that you can. Rover or MG seats might be a good seller on here.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 18:55   #3
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

The P5 & P6 versions are furniture icons now. Pretty rare too.

I always think the interior of a scrapped 75 is the biggest shame of all.

The Rovering Member is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 19:03   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

It's certainly different, and a good idea, limited market though, only to motor enthusiasts, having said that,there are plenty of us around. Best of luck if yu decide t go for it.
Old 27th February 2016, 19:12   #5
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Sounds a neat idea, I can imagine people liking the idea of Bentley or Porsche seats in their house.
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 19:24   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1975 View Post
i'm thinking of doing something a little differant in the way of a business...now it's not really a new concept but to be honest...not many people doing it,i came across the idea while walking round the local scrap yards,now there are quite a few cars in there with very nice interiors....jags,mercs,alfa's etc.
now the plan is to recycle (upcycle) call it what you will the seats in to a set of furniture for a mancave,shed well where ever you want really.there's a few company's local to me who could fabricate me the framework and another one to either chrome plate or powdercoat the frame (whichever the customers requires)...all i would be doing is basically sourcing the seats,cleaning them and possibly re-dying them,bolting them all together and shipping them out.
if they were power seats,i'd like to keep the fuctionalty of them so i'd need a 12v power source (battery) built into the base etc.
now it's only an idea at the minute but what do you guys think?
I think they are great ideas. Coffee tables made from engine blocks too (a little like Top Gear's) . I wouldnt use a battery, however, you can get power supplies, plug in transformer type devices, and you could incorporate a socket somewhere to plug it all into the mains

The only thing I would be concerned about would be storage. Although I would imagine (like most furniture) they would be made to order, but you would need to make a few with different styles of seats. I would suggest the Xtpye. There will be plenty of breakers, and a lot had an electric recline, but manual fore and aft slide.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2016, 19:56   #7
steve1975
Banned

rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I think they are great ideas. Coffee tables made from engine blocks too (a little like Top Gear's) . I wouldnt use a battery, however, you can get power supplies, plug in transformer type devices, and you could incorporate a socket somewhere to plug it all into the mains

The only thing I would be concerned about would be storage. Although I would imagine (like most furniture) they would be made to order, but you would need to make a few with different styles of seats. I would suggest the Xtpye. There will be plenty of breakers, and a lot had an electric recline, but manual fore and aft slide.
hi,yes they would be made to order for sure,there's plenty in the breakers near me,3 x 75's...2 x xtypes...2 x s types 1 x merc plus more all with electric leather in good condition....feel like they need saved
there's a whole world of possibilities of what could be done
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...h7BlsQ_AUIBygC

Last edited by steve1975; 27th February 2016 at 20:16..
steve1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 04:29   #8
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Great idea, I often wonder why we don`t see very much of this type of conversion of auto seats.
I think a good one for you to do would be ....
... a made to measure gaming seat, perhaps even height adjustable. I have seen these kind of seats in a few stores that sell games.
Get yourself on "kickstarter" and go for it.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 05:39   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
It's certainly different, and a good idea, limited market though, only to motor enthusiasts, having said that,there are plenty of us around. Best of luck if yu decide t go for it.
It needn't be limited to just enthusiasts, many vehicle seats are better quality/ more robust/ more comfortable than the proper household furniture.

Great idea, good luck!

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 06:16   #10
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Good luck, I think it is an excellent idea

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote