Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th August 2015, 09:03   #1
Drewski
Loves to post

2002 CDT Connie SE Tourer

Default Help, Where To Buy Steel Plate?

'Anybody know of somewhere in the Midlands where I can buy a piece of 1/2" steel plate, approx 500mm x 250mm? It's to make a puller to get the cylinder block off my bike.
TIA, DRew.
Drewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 09:27   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

There are several structural fabricators around Cambridge, knock on their door, your size is an off cut!
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 09:38   #3
Drewski
Loves to post

Cambridge used to have a brilliant engineering workshop called Moores where you could pop in and get almost anything done on the spot....it was perfect for getting a head skimmed or removing or broken stud etc but sadly, like a lot of places, they shut down years ago.
I'm up in B'ham at the moment and so is the bike so I'm looking for somewhere up here.
Old 19th August 2015, 10:11   #4
RayH
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
Cambridge used to have a brilliant engineering workshop called Moores where you could pop in and get almost anything done on the spot....it was perfect for getting a head skimmed or removing or broken stud etc but sadly, like a lot of places, they shut down years ago.
I'm up in B'ham at the moment and so is the bike so I'm looking for somewhere up here.
Have a look for "steel stockist" either on line or Yellow Pages, give them a call, as previously mentioned it'll be an offcut so you'll be paying cash most likely
RayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015, 10:22   #5
Drewski
Loves to post

This is what it's for, I found some 10mm thick plate but I'm not sure if that'll be thick enough. The holes in the plate are tapped and then bolts screw in and onto the top of the cylinder studs while other smaller bolts hold the puller to the block. The larger bolts are screwed down thus pulling the cylinder block up and off.

Last edited by Drewski; 19th August 2015 at 10:30..
Old 19th August 2015, 11:21   #6
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Try Mackays on East Road near the roundabout. If they don't have it they will know where to get it.
Stewart
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 08:35   #7
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

Looking at the photo I would think your steel plate is up to the job. If any of the bolts are threaded to the casing, and enough force is being applied through them to put the thickness of the plate in question, then take care not to tear the bolt out of the thread.
Honda CB750 barrels were swines for corroding to the studs like that.
Pouring diesel down the holes, a piece of copper bar as a drift and a carefully applied hammer should free it. And a lot of patience.

Three pot two stroke?, Suzuki GT380 at a guess.
Mr Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 09:10   #8
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Lots of patience required, just make sure every bolt is each turned by the same angle, in small steps, otherwise the plate will tilt and jam the head on the studs
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 09:18   #9
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

For steel plate, and in fact all steel, ally, etc sheet and sections in small quanitities, is there a 'Metal Supermarket' branch near you?
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 09:40   #10
Drewski
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bone View Post
Looking at the photo I would think your steel plate is up to the job. If any of the bolts are threaded to the casing, and enough force is being applied through them to put the thickness of the plate in question, then take care not to tear the bolt out of the thread.
Honda CB750 barrels were swines for corroding to the studs like that.
Pouring diesel down the holes, a piece of copper bar as a drift and a carefully applied hammer should free it. And a lot of patience.

Three pot two stroke?, Suzuki GT380 at a guess.
Thanks Mr Bone, the plate is held onto the cylinder block by 9 M8 screws that screw into the cylinder about 40mm. Then the "pusher screws" screw into the plate and push down onto the cylinder studs in the cylinder. I presume this is why 1/2 inch plate is used rather than anything thinner, so that the threads don't strip.
The offending bike is a 1975 GT750 that I inherited after my brother passed away a short while back. I promissed his daughters that I'd restore it.......gawd knows why The cylinders are well known for allowing water into the cylinder stud recesses which, after time, (40 years), then cements the cylinder block onto the crank cases.
I gave up looking for the steel plate after a while yesterday and focussed on the "pusher" screws instead........just as bloomin hard to find I can find them the right strength, length, full threaded and fine pitch, but not all four of these things together! I'm considering using 1.5 pitch instead.

Last edited by Drewski; 20th August 2015 at 09:43..