Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 8th August 2015, 17:06   #1
steve811
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE

Default A change for the better?

Removed these today:

There are a few reasons why I have decided that this “club” is no longer something I can support or promote. The first reason is the lack of support and assistance given to those who work tirelessly and selflessly work at organising meets, providing services to the “club” members and the general attitude of management and some of their cronies. I have tried to bring up in reasoned debate possible changes and improvements to the way the forum is run, but only for those suggestions to be shouted down or ignored. It is plain that improvements and changes are abhorrent to many of the management team and since I posted my poll on possible changes, nothing much has moved on. Yes, we have had minor tweaks to the forum administration and new goods in the shop (club pens, be still my beating heart). However, my feeling is that many of the people on here who do provide a focal point for meetings and events, whether an RS or not, are being exploited and used by a “club” that provides nothing in return to those individuals.
Coupled with the refusal to even consider simple member benefits that might impact on the revenue stream (such as the supply of parts and equipment), and a clear intent that this is a business, not a club and the main intention of the owner is revenue generation, I do not feel I can wear it’s “colours”. I do not feel that I can be part of what I consider to be a sham, where we recruit new members to what they believe is a club, run by and for members for their benefit and in order to keep the cars on the road. This is then my second reason, the lack of forward thinking, the insular and closed nature of the management process and the lack of consideration for members needs.
At the end of the day, this is a business, and it is Christophers business after all is said and done. I would not tell a local business owner how to run his or her shop, but if they masqueraded as a “club” and tried to pretend they listened to their members then that is a different matter. I know many on here will jump on the same old argument about the £10 subscription. Let me be crystal clear, this is not about the money, how much we pay or whether it is value for money. It is about whether or not I am happy to pay that money (which I will not come renewal) to an organisation that fails to deliver any benefit and has in my opinion utter contempt for it’s members. I know that some will shake their heads and mutter “facebook rubbish again” without seeing the real point. Facebook is just another medium, no better or worse than this forum, it operates differently and the rules are different. However, if I decide to support that group and it’s aims it is because of it’s ethos and aims, not because of the medium that hosts it.
Some of you will also see my post regarding the apology I have made to Welsh members, and the fiasco there that has left me feeling bitter and angry. This is not the sole reason for my low regard for the forum and its management, but it rates high on the scale. I have seen how certain moderators feel they are above reproach and how certain individuals enjoy a “protected status” as traders, meaning they can say and do what they like with impunity. I have seen how members become angry and disheartened when mods accuse them of trying to do something improper, when there was no such intent or basis for that accusation.
I realise that in posting this I risk a ban, or even a red card (except that the mods don’t follow the rules so that isn’t going to happen) but I have lost faith in the forum and more so in those that run it. I have made some brilliant contacts and friends on here, and had many helpful and generous people come to my aid and assistance. They have increased my knowledge and my understanding, as well as saving me money and time. However, I feel that not a day goes by without us losing one of our friends, either they pass on or move on to other cars, and we are left with a hard core of institutionalised luddites that oppose any change and are apt to torpedo any attempt to move on. I will be around (if not banned) and am willing to talk to anyone regarding the above, if they so wish, but do not feel I can promote the forum in any way.

Steve Richardson

Last edited by Dragrad; 9th August 2015 at 02:17.. Reason: Images contrary to the ethos of the Club have been removed & e-mal address removed as per Club policy
Old 8th August 2015, 17:13   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

You don't like it then?
Old 8th August 2015, 17:14   #3
steve811
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE

Whatever gave you that idea?
Old 8th August 2015, 17:22   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Both can run alongside one another you know Steve

I'm not a Facebook member, so I can't join facebook groups but I don't for one minute think that nobody has benefited from the knowledge base on this forum on order that they keep their cars on the road.

You don't need to subscribe, nor even contribute to the forum in terms of posting, but it will remain a valuable source of information none the less.

Best of luck though.

Brian
Old 8th August 2015, 17:25   #5
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

I hear what you're saying Steve. There's nothing wrong with Facebook and the group you mention is a well run one, I'm one of the admin. I can only say I'll continue to come on here too as I do like this forum out of all the others, perhaps it's because this was the first one I joined. I personally will continue to be a member on here as long as I enjoy the company of fellow members
Old 8th August 2015, 17:54   #6
peckster123
Loves to post

75 saloon cdt connie se

After reading Steve's post and speaking to him I am in full agreement with him. The forum has gone down hill and is no longer the place I call a friendly, home from home. The mess regarding the appointment of an RS is just a **** way of treating anyone. He in South Wales we are forgotten and ignored.

When I managed to get my car into a film, I appealed for help to source a club badge, even if only to loan it. Nobody bothered to offer, even though some did appear on Ebay later! Surely the management could have tried to help? And as for meets, one of the best I have been to recently was the one at Sherwood Forest, yet again not official, no help was given to Mark, 100 cars turned up and trophies given to the best (my shed did not get anything). The least the club could have done was offered help.

After speaking to Steve I am also removing my club stickers and replacing them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010326_zpsb1honssf.jpg (103.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg P1010327_zpsgqctn5gd.jpg (64.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg P1010334_zpstlzfxggo.jpg (73.3 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg P1010339_zpsdtkwju9f.jpg (48.5 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by peckster123; 8th August 2015 at 18:06.. Reason: pics
Old 8th August 2015, 17:57   #7
Alan123
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Ho dear
I think we all know how this thread will end. So on that note I'm off
Old 8th August 2015, 18:00   #8
Roger Dalton
Banned

75 Club

I haven't got any stickers to remove. Can someone send me some please.
Old 8th August 2015, 18:03   #9
Alan123
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dalton View Post
I haven't got any stickers to remove. Can someone send me some please.
Pay your tenna and you'll get some jimbo will sort you out
Old 8th August 2015, 18:16   #10
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

I do think the club sticker (the silhouette of the car) looks way better than a 'spanner' TBH. Just saying...
Closed Thread