Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th March 2015, 16:13   #1
supersnad
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default Rover 75 engine seizure

Just an update about my Rover75 1.8 petrol car with the seized engine.It looks like it's something internal,rather than the obvious ,cambelt and starter motor.I put it up for sale for spares or repair on Gumtree at £275 but had no takers.I'm presently driving my son's Vectra,and my Rover is sitting in the car park looking immaculate as usual, and i don't know how i'm going to get rid of it,as i've been driving all types of cars for 50 years now,but this is the first car i fallen in love with.
I might be able to get a mechanic ,who my son knows very well and has done a lot of welding work for him, to strip it down just to find out if it can be saved.Fingers crossed.
What is it with these Rover 75s that have that effect on you?
Brian
supersnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 16:19   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Engine transplant should solve your problem, some help this guy to save his beloved!!
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 16:35   #3
Doc Evil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Classic Saloon

Hi Engines go for £100-200 from scrapyard, not much more for a known runner from one of the forum trader's and a day to swap including changing the belts and water pump I'm sure you will get some volunteers to help you

Doc
Old 8th March 2015, 17:21   #4
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Yes by all means strip the engine to asses spares suitability, but don't waste any money on it. Look for an engine with known history of not being overheated.
Fit new belt, water pump and stat, and pop her in, cheapest option if your car is a good un.
Huw
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 20:07   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersnad View Post
I might be able to get a mechanic ... to strip it down just to find out if it can be saved.
I agree Brian. See if you can repair your original engine first. It's as well to remember that the 'second-hand engine' route is fraught with danger. You hear the phrases "known runner" and "known history". Well, known to whom? Certainly not to you, unless you've been able to drive a car containing that engine and inspect it fully which is very unlikely. No, what is meant is that the seller has told you this. How do you know that this is the truth?

I've just read the details of your engine problem Brian, and it's not a proven seizure is it. The prime suspects appear to be cambelt or a camshaft. As it's not very difficult to have a look at those you should definitely do as you suggest. Often things turn out to be not as bad as first imagined.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 8th March 2015 at 20:15..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 20:22   #6
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default But...

You are sat with the most wonderful car you will ever drive and it might need an engine...What do you think you can get to replace your car for the cost of the engine swap? a rusty old Ford, a rattling Vauxhall or some cheap Korean junk?
You own a car that would have been £20,000 and has lost value quickly, it has not and will never lose it's class in the motoring world, buy a good engine or have yours mended, it makes perfect sense because you do not own a banger, you own something that others will never understand because they don't get what it is to own a 75/ZT.
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 20:45   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

I would venture Cossie Dunc could source (if he doesn't already have one) and fit an engine at a reasonable price.

Just a thought mind, I'm not too good advising with things like this, as I do all of my own repairs.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 22:27   #8
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Seems to be a lot of "talking" on here and nota lot of taking things apart to check what's wrong. Talk away, this won't fix it...
Ok, being harsh. But hopefully you get my point.
For what it's worth, it certainly sounds like it wasn't overheated, and my money would be on a semi freezing coolant, causing the cam timing to jump, hence bent valves ( possibly broken, piston damage). Btdt...
The good news is, if this is the case, the engine can be fixed without removing it, even the head can possible be repaired, but not guaranteed.
So, GET THE HEAD OFF.
2 hours work, surely worth it?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 07:33   #9
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Seems to be a lot of "talking" on here and nota lot of taking things apart to check what's wrong. Talk away, this won't fix it...
Ok, being harsh. But hopefully you get my point.
For what it's worth, it certainly sounds like it wasn't overheated, and my money would be on a semi freezing coolant, causing the cam timing to jump, hence bent valves ( possibly broken, piston damage). Btdt...
The good news is, if this is the case, the engine can be fixed without removing it, even the head can possible be repaired, but not guaranteed.
So, GET THE HEAD OFF.
2 hours work, surely worth it?
Agree to this one!

Basically, you can put the engine to pieces in situ except for the crankshaft and crank ladder with the main bearings.

So, get the cylinder head off and sump dropped. That will reveal a lot I think.

You migth fins some usefull information here in my old thread: http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=406154
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote