Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th March 2008, 22:01   #1
A-S 0105

2005 ZT-T 1.8T, 1972 MGBGT

Default ZT 1.8T Turbo Problems

Good Evening,

Have been having problems with my 1.8T in that I have been experiencing turbo cutting in and out accompianed with an audible whistle at 3000 revs in all gears. Generally the car pulls like an express train in 2nd and loses this pull in 3rd 4th and 5th. Sometimes when I accelerate hard the car momentarily dies and then kicks back in noticably.

I put it into my ex MG dealership who, as always, have been excellent and they suggest a modulator problem having checked all pipes are in place and no apparent leaks and nothing showing on the T4 test. I have been quoted £110 to supply and fit new modulator and I will be happy to pay this if it cures the problem. All I would appreciate is opinion as to what others think and if any other ZT/75 1.8 T owners have come accross this problem

Thank you in advance of your opinion.
A-S 0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 22:11   #2
Simon
Banned

-

to the Club!

What an excellent and well-written first post Not being a 1.8T owner myself I can't really comment but I'm sure it wont be long before the masses come up with solutions....
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 23:08   #3
A-S 0105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
to the Club!

What an excellent and well-written first post Not being a 1.8T owner myself I can't really comment but I'm sure it wont be long before the masses come up with solutions....
Thanks for that and I hope I can get the car back to how it was before! Dealer has quoted £110 to supply and fit modulator which, I dont think is unreasonable price, just will appreciate comment from others if this could be the problem causing the turbo performance issue.
Old 28th March 2008, 23:12   #4
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Unless I am tired, I am assuming the modulator they refer to is the boost control valve ? I would check the vac pipes from the bcv for any cracks splits or "fall of ness" If one of the vac pipes isnt secure the car delivers excessive amounts of boost then cuts out then takes off again. Great fun until I guess it would go pop.

AFAIK the bcv doesnt show up a fault on T4 ?

Whereabouts are you based as other members more familiar may be able to take a look for you.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 23:31   #5
A-S 0105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lates View Post
Unless I am tired, I am assuming the modulator they refer to is the boost control valve ? I would check the vac pipes from the bcv for any cracks splits or "fall of ness" If one of the vac pipes isnt secure the car delivers excessive amounts of boost then cuts out then takes off again. Great fun until I guess it would go pop.

AFAIK the bcv doesnt show up a fault on T4 ?

Whereabouts are you based as other members more familiar may be able to take a look for you.
Thanks for the suggestion, I am up in Aberdeenshire so probably not a lot of others up in this area. I have to say I have dealt with this dealer on a number of occasions with my wifes' previous cars and, more recently, with the ZT and have found them to be very good and fair. They have checked all pipes in place as did the MOT station 2 weeks ago who I asked to make sure as well (I used to be a salesman at the MOT garage so mechanic did check)

The Ex MG dealer service manager and myself discussed the symtoms over the phone and he stated his mechanic who did 2 road tests and 2 T4 diagnostic checks had replaced modulators on previous faulty turbos with a good success rate. To be fair to him, he could not guarantee this replacement will solve the problem but, in my mind, I think it is a logical step forward.

Anyone think different? I will appreciate comment as have the car back home and will be checking the pipes again as best I can over the weekend.

Cheers
Old 28th March 2008, 23:41   #6
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

I sincerely hope the bcv valve rectifies your concerns. One ZT we looked into for this fault his owner wasnt too comfortable with us replacing it "on a whim" and we didnt get to the bottom of the issue.

However the vac pipes ( £25 ish ) I have replaced on a few occasions now have done the job well although they did appear to be in sound condition.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 00:03   #7
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

As Lates says, make sure the pies are in good condition and all connected. if they are i would be inclined to agree that the boost controll solenoid may be faulty
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 14:21   #8
A-S 0105

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
As Lates says, make sure the pies are in good condition and all connected. if they are i would be inclined to agree that the boost controll solenoid may be faulty
Can you tell me where these pipes and the solenoid are exactly so I know if I am looking at the right pipes.
Thanks
Old 29th March 2008, 14:25   #9
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Very thin pipes that run from a little box on the side of the air filter, down to the turbo wastegate. Mine blew off and I had exactly what you describe.
Old 29th March 2008, 14:26   #10
A-S 0105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Very thin pipes that run from a little box on the side of the air filter, down to the turbo wastegate. Mine blew off and I had exactly what you describe.
Thanks I shall go and check now that the engine has cooled down a bit!!