Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th September 2013, 19:39   #1
t140pete
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon, 75 Tourer

Default Alternator needed ?

The GF's CDT just made it home tonight - battery light on for a while then radio died and random dashboard lights (handbrake/ABS warning) came on.

Tried my battery in there and started fine but battery warning light still on

So - looks like I need a new alternator unless there's some secret "bit" on 75s that would cause this. ?

Also, it looks a swine to get at to replace - any tricks there or do I need to be double-jointed ?
t140pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2013, 20:11   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

When my battery light came on it was the alternator brushes that had worn down. Hardly surprising as they had done well over 300k miles and it was on my 'to do' list to replace them.

I removed it from the top but it was a strain to get it past the aircon pipe. If it is the brushes, having done the job, I reckon you can change them without taking the alternator out of the car.

As I did them on a Sunday and couldn't get any spares I filed down two oversize brushes I had in the garage and fitted them in front of the worn ones as a temporary measure.

They have done a good few thousand miles since and are fine. They are on the 'to do' list to sort properly, but you know how it is ....

The good thing was that apart from the brushes the alternator was as good as new - bearings smooth with no play at all.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 10th September 2013 at 20:13..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 10:19   #3
Happy Wanderer
Loves to post

Rover 75 (Roxy) /Ford Ranger (Ruby) /MGF (Gina)

I had a similar problem after my alternator wires were worn thro rubbing on crankshaft pulley. When I replaced the wiring harness & started her up I had a battery light on but not bright & it was only charging about 11 amps or less. Turned out to be a 5amp fuse in the fuse box under the glove box which had gone. Just a thought but worth checking out !
Happy Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote