Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th April 2013, 22:45   #1
E_T_V
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Default Upgrading poor OE audio

I've got a ZTT with the VDO CR213X in it with the boot CD changer. This works perfectly well so it may end up staying for the moment.

However the sound is rather lacking compared to my previous 600 (fitted with the Philips R960 and 6 CD changer and Inifinity reference front and rear speakers).

I'm guessing that the speakers are probably first on the list of things to change. Any recommendations?

Also possibly an underseat sub unless I can persuade the missus to let me drop a sub in the boot.

I'm reasonably competant so amps etc aren't an issue so long as I can find somewhere to hide them, however my ancient 600 setup sounds acceptable without any.
E_T_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 04:51   #2
MattyC
Gets stuck in

MG6 1.8 Turbo TSE in Burnt Orange

some of the OE headunits produce truely shocking sound quality, especially with regards bass and crispness at volume. I have no experience with the 213X but I do know that the 413X is only just about good enough for regular use, and its 10w per channel (RMS) higher than the 213... So don't discount the headunit as a cause of poor audio quality.

I think there is an issue with the speakers are mounted on the doors and to improve bass response especially, you have to build and retrofit enclosures for the door speakers, apparently changing them without doing this, does little for low frequency response.

Mods: 17" meteor wheels | Steve916's Auto boot lifters | Leather electric memory seats | Dynavin Android DD Headunit | MG7 grille (was a V8 grille, long story!) | SEAT Leon Cupra splitter (colour coded) | ZT sideskirts | BigRuss/marinabrian 160 remap | Roverron Synergy 2A | Arctics Modified Handbrake Compensator

Thanks to those who've helped, providing advice and info, supplying/manufacturing parts, even fitting things for me!
MattyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 17:00   #3
E_T_V
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

I thought the 213 was 20w per channel?

Does it use standard ISO connectors? If so I'll whip it out and replace with a known "good" unit to compare temporarily.
Old 16th April 2013, 17:34   #4
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Only the Harmony has the 17 pin BMW connector. The Symphony and all the later single DIN units have ISO connectors.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 18:13   #5
GP1005
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTI

I had a similar unit fitted to my ZT-T. I purchased the Karman unit second hand and fitted along with the MDF spacers mentioned in other threads on this site.

This gave a considerable improvement when playing CDs

The VDO unit had a pathetic radio reception so tried replacing with a Kenwood W5541U. This gave a slightly improved radio reception but still not good enough. I am now considering fitting an external aerial

Still looking for info on which wires to put where on a 13 pin cd changer connector. There are 4 wires in the block at headunit end and I just need to know which of the 13 pins these are fitted to .....
GP1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 21:11   #6
E_T_V
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_T_V View Post
I thought the 213 was 20w per channel?

Does it use standard ISO connectors? If so I'll whip it out and replace with a known "good" unit to compare temporarily.
3) The VDO CR213X
A 20 watt per channel radio cassette with 6 CD multi changer

That is in the Sticky so I assume accurate.

Do these setups have seperate tweeters as standard (I had to add them to the 600 as it didn't have them as standard on my poverty spec one).
i.e. should I fit components or co-axials

Do I need to amp or not

Any sub setups on the estate that don't rob the boot area?

If I want to try swapping it out for a "better" unit, how do I remove it (I can see no obvious key holes).
Old 16th April 2013, 21:24   #7
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

May be worth you seeing my thread re the 50-Watt Alpine system I have for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_T_V View Post
I've got a ZTT with the VDO CR213X in it with the boot CD changer. This works perfectly well so it may end up staying for the moment.

However the sound is rather lacking compared to my previous 600 (fitted with the Philips R960 and 6 CD changer and Inifinity reference front and rear speakers).

I'm guessing that the speakers are probably first on the list of things to change. Any recommendations?

Also possibly an underseat sub unless I can persuade the missus to let me drop a sub in the boot.

I'm reasonably competant so amps etc aren't an issue so long as I can find somewhere to hide them, however my ancient 600 setup sounds acceptable without any.
AURORA MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 22:15   #8
GP1005
Regular poster

MG ZT-T CDTI

The front doors in my car had tweeters as standard but not the rears. The Karman has upgraded tweeters for front and rear. The amp goes in the boot - I fitted under the boot floor so it did not take up extra space. There is a different amp for the tourer than for the saloon as it gives a different speaker balance. The sub goes in the opposite side to the cd changer and has a cover that goes over it the same as the cd changer. There is a cover for sale on ebay at the moment. Search on item 111052168072 to give you an idea of what it looks like
GP1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2013, 22:09   #9
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

I fitted a set of Harmon Kardon speakers & tweeters and they are way better than the originals.

Ed
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote