Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2013, 19:23   #1
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts
Default Hit up the rear!

My van was parked up today outside one of my suppliers. Parked safely on the road in a sensible place. I go into the suppliers and leave colleague in van.

2 minutes later colleague comes into shop and says someone has rear ended the van!

Turns out someone from the car park next door has reversed out at speed and shunted my can with the back of his.

Broken bumper, rear light and damage to rear quarter and signwriting.

His week old Citroen Berlingo had matching damage.

All witnessed by the guys boss who was stood in the car park in disbelief.

My colleague and the other driver both had no injuries thankfully, and he admitted fault immediately and to the insurance company too.

Now I have to suffer a hire van for ages while it is repaired. Rather a nuisance.

The only problem I have is that when I contacted my insurance company they do not deal with the claim!! They pass it onto a claims management company. So if I do not plan on claiming on my own insurance there is no point having any more than third party insurance as I can contact one of these claim management companies independently. What am I paying the insurance company fully comp for? I put my excess at £1000 so that they can tell I am unlikely to claim. I feel a bit robbed.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 12:02   #2
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

My mum and something similar happen to her car, a lady across the road managed to lose control of her car pulling off her driveway, shot diagonally across the road and smashed into my mums parked car which got written off. The stupid woman then couldn't reverse the car back and my sister had to move it for her. All this with her small child in the car seat at the back, luckily uninjured . The woman's excuse was she can't control the clutch properly, my response "why the f*** are you driving a manual car then?"

You pay insurance companies to feel robbed, that's the only thing i can think of
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 13:07   #3
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

I have received the van back yesterday!! Good news I was thinking, wrong.

They have replaced the upper bumper section with one from another model which doesn't match the other side. The transit bumper is in 5 sections so that it can be repaired cost effectively. Another new section is damaged.

The shut line between the light unit and panel is rubbish and they know it because they have put foam in the gap to seal the light to the body, they haven't removed all of the dents, and painted it anyway.

The control buttons for the handsfree have gone missing too.

Why can't they just do a good job the first time?
Old 29th March 2013, 13:54   #4
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
I have received the van back yesterday!! Good news I was thinking, wrong.

They have replaced the upper bumper section with one from another model which doesn't match the other side. The transit bumper is in 5 sections so that it can be repaired cost effectively. Another new section is damaged.

The shut line between the light unit and panel is rubbish and they know it because they have put foam in the gap to seal the light to the body, they haven't removed all of the dents, and painted it anyway.

The control buttons for the handsfree have gone missing too.

Why can't they just do a good job the first time?
Knobheads.
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 14:17   #5
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Red face I've Been Asleep Again!

Just seen this thread
Glad nobody was hurt and that it wasn't your car (?)
When that Peugeot ran into Eliza last year and I phoned my insurance company, as soon as I said the other driver had admitted liability they said they didn't need any more info, unless I had any problems. The other driver's insurance company phoned me up, asked what had happened and I told them I wanted to get my own quotes. They said "Fine. When you've made your choice, run it by us and we'll arrange a hire car. They just gave me a 30 day time limit, to avoid further damage occurring to the car. So I'm surprised your company got involved, Rich.
Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction without too much hassle. Did you take it to the repairer of your choice and get a written quote with an itemised list of the repairs to be done?

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2013, 16:38   #6
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Incensed View Post
Just seen this thread
Glad nobody was hurt and that it wasn't your car (?)
When that Peugeot ran into Eliza last year and I phoned my insurance company, as soon as I said the other driver had admitted liability they said they didn't need any more info, unless I had any problems. The other driver's insurance company phoned me up, asked what had happened and I told them I wanted to get my own quotes. They said "Fine. When you've made your choice, run it by us and we'll arrange a hire car. They just gave me a 30 day time limit, to avoid further damage occurring to the car. So I'm surprised your company got involved, Rich.
Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction without too much hassle. Did you take it to the repairer of your choice and get a written quote with an itemised list of the repairs to be done?
Everyone was fine thankfully, the insurers did call my passenger about 5 times putting words in his mouth to try and make a personal injury claim. He told them to clear off.

The repairers I would have used upset me recently and will not get any work from me again. So I used the approved repairers from the claims management company.

Now they have ballsed it up I suppose I have to allow them reasonable opportunity to put it right before I take it elsewhere.

The bit I don't understand is why do a bad job? The third party insurance is paying as he accepted responsibility, so why not just do a good job and charge accordingly?

I know it is just a van but it was in pretty much new condition as it is such low mileage. I want it right.

On another note it was a shame it wasn't the car, it would have been the corner that needs painting anyway
Old 30th March 2013, 07:51   #7
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich17865 View Post
Everyone was fine thankfully, the insurers did call my passenger about 5 times putting words in his mouth to try and make a personal injury claim. He told them to clear off.

The repairers I would have used upset me recently and will not get any work from me again. So I used the approved repairers from the claims management company.

Now they have ballsed it up I suppose I have to allow them reasonable opportunity to put it right before I take it elsewhere.

The bit I don't understand is why do a bad job? The third party insurance is paying as he accepted responsibility, so why not just do a good job and charge accordingly?

I know it is just a van but it was in pretty much new condition as it is such low mileage. I want it right.

On another note it was a shame it wasn't the car, it would have been the corner that needs painting anyway
I thought this was illegal now? Due to all the "Needless" claims? Didn't the FSA stop this?

Glad to see you are ok, shame about the Bodge job, ring your insurer and complain, a lot. You pay a premium for a reason and this is not it

I know someone who had his car repaired so badly, the Insurer sent the Claims Inspector(?) round to look at his Car. The Inspector(?) was so appalled, he took this chap and the Car to the Bodyshop, stripped them of any dignity and made it clear they would be losing their contract with the Insurance company.

To give you an idea of how bad it was:

Dents not pulled correctly
Paint where it shouldn't be (On Window / Window Seal and trim parts)
Trim parts not replaced / Replaced incorrectly

Disgusting it is, but a show of the "Modernday" quality of workmanship. Money matters, not quality today. Its a Screw You Consumer society we live in
Old 30th March 2013, 08:57   #8
TriumphStag
Gets stuck in

MK1 Connie SE 2.0CDTi Tourer

Sorry to hear of all the bad luck guys. To show the opposite side of the story, my wifes car (55 plate Megane) was rear ended in the snow a couple of months ago whilst she was waiting at a junction, the car behind was pushed into her by the car behind that. Ruined the plastic bumper cover, but thankfully all superficial, no damage to boot lid, floor or lights.

Car was taken to the approved repairer and hire car collected, one week later car is returned with new bumper cover, valeted inside and out and shining like new. Try as i might i cannot find the paint join. They did a fantastic job of matching the paint.

This is the second time she has been run into (a truck took out the side of her Copen whilst parked up about 5 years ago). Was repaired under insurance at the same place. An equally good job was done then. I know the place is expensive, but if the other drivers insurance is paying............
TriumphStag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2013, 14:19   #9
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Amazingly someone called today to discuss the problems, an assessor will contact me apparently on Tuesday.
Old 30th March 2013, 14:27   #10
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

You have now entered into the world of 'hello we understand you have been involved in an accident.....' I've been getting these calls for the last 5 years. This is more infuriating than anything, regarding your van, I know it will be inconvenient but don't accept it until you are happy with it. It is the other insurance company paying for it after all, but they'll want to spend as little as possible. Good luck.
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote