Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th February 2013, 19:39   #1
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Default My Caravan Mod.

I've just returned to caravan ownership after a 16 year break.
My last van was Ci Sprite Major, a late 70's model with double glazing and I towed it latterly with the SD1 Vitesse which I still have under wraps.

On the Sprite I had a spare 7 pin socket wired to a standard flasher unit which in the event of a breakdown I could couple up, therefore showing hazards at the rear.

My latest van is a Coachman ViP 520/4 so I set about doing the same thing only better. As I have a motor mover I wanted to be seen when entering or leaving my driveway so I've come up with this.

As you see mounted on the A frame is an additional 7 pin socket, this in turn is wired to the box just visible inside the front locker. Power comes from the motor mover master switch and is via a 15 amp fuse.
Inside the box is a standard flasher unit and a rotary switch which has seven positions the first being the off position.

Here it is in close up, position 2 gives hazards only whilst position 3 switches on the hazards along with side/tail lights. The remaining positions are used to test all my lights without being coupled to the car. As I don't have reverse lights on the van this shows as red on my label which I made up on the PC, then laminated it for some weather proofing. I had originally made one in a clockwise orientation but then discovered my switch worked anti clockwise. The LED is a flashing one just to indicate power is on.

The box which is polycarbonate is fully insulated and all wiring passes under the floor of the van so nothing to get tangled up with other equipment stored in the locker. In all it cost around £40 for the various components and weighs less than a tin of beans.

JYJ

Last edited by Jim Jamieson; 25th February 2013 at 19:47.. Reason: add photo
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 19:50   #2
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Absolutely superb

Although I don't have a motor mover (yet!), the ability to test the 'van's lights without having to attach the car is an excellent idea

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 20:08   #3
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Thanks very much, it took a lot of planning out etc and sourcing the right parts etc. but I will put it to good use. I'm surprised that caravan manufacturers don't fit these as standard as they're always on the look out for something different to their competitors.

JYJ
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote