Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th December 2012, 19:06   #1
guyglo

Rover 75 Tourer

Default 75 CDTi Tourer - 30A Fuel Pump fuse (28) keeps blowing

My usually reliable '53 plate 75 CDTI Tourer let me down today for the first time.
Engine died on the way to work, Inertia switch message on dash and hazard warning lights came on. Managed to get to the inertia switch which was not tripped. Once back at home found the 30A fuel pump fuse (no 28) was blown. Replaced with one of the 30A seat memory fuses and car started straight away. Ran fine for about 2 mins and stopped again with same results - blown fuse again.
Does this fuse protect both pumps or just one? Could this be an electrical fault or is it more likely to be a pump on its last legs? I would be grateful for any ideas or advice on what to test . Any help would be much appreciated.
Guy Glover - Isle of Wight
guyglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 04:22   #2
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

My guess that it could be fuel pump wires shorting out somewhere, probably around the fuel tank area.
Old 18th December 2012, 19:56   #3
guyglo

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the reply.
This evening I put in a new fuse, removed the back seat and pump cover and turned on the ignition. I could not hear or feel the pump in the tank. The under bonnet pump was working.
Started the car and it ran for a little while before stopping again with the inertia switch message and hazard warning lights as before.
I then removed the electrical connector to the rear pump, put in a new fuse and started the car again just running on the front pump.
The car has continued to run just using the under bonnet pump so it looks as though there is an issue with the fuel tank pump and I will need to invest in a new one before I damage the front pump.
I wonder how long it has been running on one pump before the rear one failed completely?
Apart from the obvious reliability problem of running on the front pump only is there any reason why I could not continue to use the car with the rear pump disconnected?
I have just filled up with diesel and I could do with burning a little off!
Old 19th December 2012, 07:23   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyglo View Post
The car has continued to run just using the under bonnet pump so it looks as though there is an issue with the fuel tank pump and I will need to invest in a new one before I damage the front pump.
I wonder how long it has been running on one pump before the rear one failed completely?
Apart from the obvious reliability problem of running on the front pump only is there any reason why I could not continue to use the car with the rear pump disconnected?
I have just filled up with diesel and I could do with burning a little off!
You won't damage the UBP by running it with a failed ITP. Yes it has to do more work so will wear out a bit quicker, but I ran mine for 20k with no ITP and it was still going strong when I replaced both.

The car will run fine as long as you don't go below a quarter of a tank of fuel. This is where the myth about straining the UBP comes from as the ITP can pack up and go unnoticed for ages until the UBP gives up, and then both pumps are found to be duff and it is assumed that the ITP failed and caused the UBP to fail prematurely.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2012, 08:00   #5
guyglo

Rover 75 Tourer

Cheers for that. I have used the car for work today and all seems OK. New under bonnet pump has turned up today and hopefully the tank pump will be here before Christmas so I know what I am doing over the next few days. Now if only I can find something to put all that diesel in......
Thanks for the help.