Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th August 2012, 17:37   #1
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Default "K" Bus problems and the answer!!

This post is just to follow up on a problem I had last year and the (eventual) solution!

Some might remember I was having K bus problems last summer resulting in the usual drivers door lock faulting/no main beam warning light/no dashboard indicator lights and "error" coming up on the Climate Control panel!!

After a lot of "chasing" possible causes with the help of members on the forum it was eventually traced (more or less by accident) to the symphony head unit when it was unplugged to access the wiring and header conections located behind it!!

The short term fix was to snip the K bus wire located in the blue/green/yellow composite plug (3 plugs clipped together) attached to the head unit which got rid of the interferance - and the symptoms!! but left the unit unable to talk to the CD changer and control it but did leave the radio and tape player (combined in the head unit of course!!) still working - This was Ok as a stop gap but didn't really answer the question was it the head unit or the CD player!!

I had had a "gut" feeling all along that it was going to be the head unit but didnt really want to lash out on one if it wasnt a "deffinate"!!

I did have the promise of a couple to try out as subsitutes but sadly they never appeared!!

About a month ago I got fed up/irittated with only having the radio so I brought one from ebay circa £30 delivered and when it arrived tried it out only to find that the code had (unusualy for a symphony) been activated and the supplier didnt have any idea what it might be (probably exspecting a bit much for a breakers TBF!!)

After a couple of phone calls they apolagised and said they would refund and arrange for pick up!! - YEH RIGHT!! that never happened!!

That stalled things a bit untill I noticed a post on the forum about member Xpart02 who will supply a code FOC to subscribed members!! - sadly my subscription had just run out!! - move on the the end of the month and having resubscribed come payday! I contacted Stuart who dulely supplied the code for my new head unit and this morning I finally got around to fitting it and hay presto!! everything works again!! with no faults either in the head unit OR the CD player (Phew!!)

So if you get the above symptoms and unpluging the FBH or the imobiliser doesn't help !! try the radio!!

HTH well somebody!!
Trophy Blue Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 17:49   #2
Petetourer
This is my second home

None at present

Good to hear it soreted the problem mate.....

Now, onto your next project...

Then a 2002 MG ZT-T CDTI + in Starlight Silver

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.5 V6 180 + in Royal Blue

Then a 2002 Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Connie SE

Then a 2003 ZT-T 2.0 CDTi + In Le Mans Green
2004 1.8T ZT-T + In Goodwood Green

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Petetourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 21:46   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Good work Andy. That's the problem with bus system faults, they can be anywhere in the circuit. TBH that's one of the last places I would have looked.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 22:51   #4
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Had exactly those symptoms on a car today but it wasn't that, I checked and no joy tried all other accessable K-bus points including all most of the Ecu's.

I think I know where the problem lies it's likely to be the K109 K-bus header beneath the carpet as the foam was sodden but without more time and dry weather I was unable to confirm.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and "160", Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2012, 23:38   #5
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Good work Andy. That's the problem with bus system faults, they can be anywhere in the circuit. TBH that's one of the last places I would have looked.

Mike
To be fair Mike!! It WAS the last place I looked!!
In fact I didnt actually look there! - what happened was that chrislloydie and I had removed both wheel arch liners to check for chaffed looms etc and I had not found anything other than both looms had lost most of their wrapping at the point where they split to go in 3 different directions and as I was re-wrapping them in self-amalagamating tape I got Chris to strip the C/C and radio out so we could check the headers etc behind them!! after we had opened them (headers) and reassembled them we realised the fault had gone so assumed that we had disturbed a bad conection!! - It wasnt until after Chris had left and I was reasemballing the center console that I noticed it had come back!! so I started pulling plugs with the indicators on and flashing on the dash until they stopped and found the fault!! - just sort of tripped over it really!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
Had exactly those symptoms on a car today but it wasn't that, I checked and no joy tried all other accessable K-bus points including all most of the Ecu's.

I think I know where the problem lies it's likely to be the K109 K-bus header beneath the carpet as the foam was sodden but without more time and dry weather I was unable to confirm.

Russ
Sounds likely Russ!! there not very water proof!! - I just wanted to record another potential cause (even if its a bit of a rarity!!) for future seakers after the truth!!

Andy!!

P.S!! found a very enjoyable "classic music" tape in my new head unit too!! - "every little helps""

Last edited by Trophy Blue Tourer; 15th August 2012 at 23:41.. Reason: Add a P.S
Old 16th August 2012, 06:17   #6
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Good to hear your finally sorted, I have the same fault albeit very random when it occurs. I have checked the radio etc after reading your origional thread. I will have to have a look for K109 header beneath the carpet Russ? I have allready checked the one above the LSM

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 06:50   #7
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

The radio on my highline in the ZT-T wouldn't come on in a similar fashion, but after discovering a small lake under the front drivers side carpet due to a blocked plenum drain tube, the radio corrected itself back to full operation once it was all dried out. The shorting out of the header might explain it. It's always good to hear a follow up solution to a problem, thanks for posting your findings Trophy Blue
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2012, 10:53   #8
Trophy Blue Tourer
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T Trophy Blue CDTI

Default Opps!!

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!
so I started pulling plugs with the indicators on and flashing on the dash until they stopped and found the fault!!WRONG!!

IT SHOULD HAVE READ!!

so I started pulling plugs with the indicators on and ** NOT** flashing on the dash until they **STARTED** and found the fault!!

Doh!! Still I dont feel to bad !!

You lot didnt spot it either!!

Andy
Old 16th August 2012, 12:21   #9
craig8661
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 tourer cdt

Quote:

Russ
Where is that's part fitted as mine the other week wipers would not work in drive and also ipk mpg screen stopped working climet would not change any settings would only make the noise to say a button has been pressed. Then next day same faults but Speedo was not working but abs was. Is that unit you refer to the body controls unit. I also have the symphony head unit think it is any was has the big power button and large display. My faults have gone it had been raining very heavy plenams where clear but passinger side carpet is wet
mods so far synergy 2
heated washer jets
cant really add anything else as it has it all lol
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2012, 08:43   #10
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Quote:

Russ
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me excactly how it looks ad where this K109 connector is located?? My car is a LHD, but I think it is only "mirrored" compared to the RHD one`s.

I an dealing with a central locking issue, and I know somewone has found the problem in this connector due to corrosion.

Is there any other K-bus connectors in sthe system that may cause central locking issues??
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote