Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th June 2012, 19:43   #1
nickpscott
Regular poster

MG ZT+ 190

Default Plenum Blocked & Rear Rights Leaking At The Same Time = Flood !

This is my first post so hello to everyone and I hope you can help me.

Recently bought a 2002 MG ZT+ 190.

There was always a slightly damp smell in the car but recently it has become very bad, after a bit of routing around I found my spare wheel full of water and discovered my rear light gasket had split, the water has been drained, light siliconed up and the carpet and side panels are currently drying indoors.

I then noticed wetness on my carpets in every footwell, lifted a corner of each of them up and its like a pond, every bit of foam on the carpet it soaked and you could swim in the floor pan.

This was due to blocked plenum drain, both the leaks have been sorted but my car is swimming and need the water gone, besides removing all the seats and carpet and sponging out, does anyone have a miracle idea to shift my water ?

I currently have a dehumidifier running inside the car 24/7 but its not doing an awful lot.

Many Thanks
nickpscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 20:08   #2
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

It's horrible finding water in your car isn't it. I didn't have it to your extent though. Mine was confined to the boot only. I was going to suggest a dehumidifier but I see you already have one on the go. The only other thing I can suggest is that you get a fan heater in there too, to try and evaporate some of the water out, and then the dehumidifier can do the rest.
Hope this is of some help
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 23:16   #3
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

I've had this same problem, although the front leak was through a body seam over a long period of time.

I'm afraid the only proper way to ensure everything is dried out fully is to take the carpet out And it's very heavy when wet too

Not too difficult but time consuming and unpleasant.

Mine took ages to dry, I had it out of the car for a few weeks, must have been at least 2 weeks with a fan heater aimed at it for it to feel dry. It's basically a giant sponge due to the foam backing.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 23:24   #4
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

They used a shotgun on Top Gear to make a drain hole .
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 23:44   #5
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Wet / dry vaccum cleaner, suck out all the standing water and suck as much water out of the carpets, then air dry them. If the car is in a secure location, leave all the windows / sunroof open.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 00:12   #6
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Best and fastest way is to remove the carpet get another one from a scrap yard but check its dry and as clean as it can be once aquired carpet clean it with dry foam take out the old one and replace dump it as it will still stink later down the line. and dont forget to solve the leak my opinion nly mind Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 00:25   #7
Scribbler.
Gets stuck in

Rover 75. Saloon. Red. V6. 2.5.

I concur with Rover54's advice; hire a good `fierce' industrial wet suction machine and take your time doing the job. (After resolving any leaks of course) I had similar with my previous car and after doing a thorough job, driving with open windows and full heating on, within days there was no smell at all. After which I applied "Floral Disinfectant" as used by s/h car dealers. No further problem at all. Mike.
Scribbler. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 22:19   #8
nickpscott
Regular poster

MG ZT+ 190

There was no other way, I had to go extremes to remove my water !

When I took the rear carpets out, I found heaps of white mould and I was growing mushrooms, cant imagine that was good for my health.

There was water everywhere, even underneath the rear bench !

This is how it stands at the moment, used a wet vac and removed 48 Litres of water, currently running a dehumidifier to get rid of the last of it, so fingers crossed !

Ill let you know the outcome !
nickpscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 22:33   #9
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

In our utility room, as an indoor clothes drying system, I installed a dehumidifier and a fan to help stir the air. The fan and lots of air movement makes a major difference to the speed at which moisture is drawn out of the clothes into the dehumidifier.

With the dehumifier on its own, it was possible to keep up with emptying its tank, with fan added I had to install a permanent drain.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 09:55   #10
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Water

Goodness what a mess! When you have resolved your leakages do drill a hole in the wheel well, there is no good reason why you should only discover that there is a leak by findiing about six gallons of water in there.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote