Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th June 2012, 15:06   #1
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Default Lower front ball joints; what are my options?

There is nocking from the front end (i live a mile down a very rough track).
Looked a couple of weeks ago and there was movement in the ball joint at the hub end of the lower wishbone arms (NS and OS).
Had another look today to see if tightening up the bolt would make a difference. NS one I could tighten bit didnt make any difference. OS one wouldnt budge.

Im pretty sure its the balljoints at the hub end thats nackered.

What are my options?

Doing the job isnt a problem but short of cash and will probably keep the car long term.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 15:13   #2
firemanfez

rover 75 2.0 diesel saloon

new bottom arms and rear arm bushes, dont buy the cheapest as you'll be replacing them in 12 months time again.
firemanfez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 15:26   #3
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanfez View Post
new bottom arms and rear arm bushes, dont buy the cheapest as you'll be replacing them in 12 months time again.
i think that Rimmers have genuine Rover and after market ones at about half the cost. Are these teh cheap ones you say to avoid?
Old 4th June 2012, 15:30   #4
jonathan63
This is my second home

And can I just get the ball joint at the end pressed out and a new pressed in?
Old 4th June 2012, 15:35   #5
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
i think that Rimmers have genuine Rover and after market ones at about half the cost. Are these teh cheap ones you say to avoid?

For the arms themselves aftermarket ones can be ok if you get them from a good local motor factor, or from Europart on here who will give you a discount. Put it this way, my original one that came with the car needed replacing after 5 years, and 6 years later the aftermarket one I replaced it with is still going strong. I paid about £70 a side for them.

For the bushes you have Jules on here who has aftermarket bushes that get good reviews, or you also have the Powerflex option where you can put new bushes in your own brackets. Not heard any reviews of those yet though. Could save you a few quid though.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 15:39   #6
jonathan63
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
For the arms themselves aftermarket ones can be ok if you get them from a good local motor factor, or from Europart on here who will give you a discount. Put it this way, my original one that came with the car needed replacing after 5 years, and 6 years later the aftermarket one I replaced it with is still going strong. I paid about £70 a side for them.

For the bushes you have Jules on here who has aftermarket bushes that get good reviews, or you also have the Powerflex option where you can put new bushes in your own brackets. Not heard any reviews of those yet though. Could save you a few quid though.
Did you get your from Europart David? £70 a side I can manage.
Old 4th June 2012, 15:43   #7
Unclefista
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Choices for rear bushes are either quality ones from Jules at £36 each but should last years, or cheap £10-12 from eBay that probably won't last half as long.
Eurocarparts ones are £32 using the club discount, but I don't know the quality.
You could always try the new poly-bushes at £36 a side, but they're more involved to fit and you'd need a press.

Wishbones vary in price even more, from "Lemforder" from ECP for £125 to eBay cheapies at £35.
Eurocarparts own brand "Q-drive" wishbones are £75 and are meant to be reasonable quality, and at least have a 12 months no-quibble warranty.

I have one decent bush from Jules fitted and a £15 eBay cheapo one on the other side (skint) and the quality difference is very noticable.

If you're keeping the car for a long time, and you either pay someone to fit them, or your time has value, personally I wouldn't buy the cheapest. Any saving you make will be offset by the hassle of replacing them earlier.

All IMHO

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/6...77671f80_n.jpg
Unclefista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 15:57   #8
jonathan63
This is my second home

HMMMM! thanks all. just looked on Euorcarparts; £100 a side.
You say they will give a discount David?????
Old 4th June 2012, 16:03   #9
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

got mine of the bay from ecp car parts based in sandy beds arms at £69 each for oem ones.i got the lot both arms bushes etc £250 delivered

Last edited by suffolk boy; 4th June 2012 at 19:45..
suffolk boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 16:13   #10
Unclefista
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
HMMMM! thanks all. just looked on Euorcarparts; £100 a side.
You say they will give a discount David?????
Either use the club code "ztclub25" to get 25% off, or order through their discount site http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/ same company, same parts, just coincidentally 25% cheaper on average..

Edit: Having seen Suffolk-boy's post above, that seems like outstanding value for OEM parts, I'd find the little bit extra and go with that deal

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/6...77671f80_n.jpg
Unclefista is offline   Reply With Quote