Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 28th April 2012, 09:37   #1
75inAustralia

Rover 75

Default Solenoid pinouts for auto transmission connectors

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to identify what pin does what for the two black cylinder connectors next to the battery for my 75 that is downshifting occasionally a little rough. The transmission fluid had been replaced and no fault codes come up on a T4, however I'd like to rule out any dodgy solenoids. I have found the drawing for the freelander transmission harness connector showing 18 pins however not sure how that relates to the two 10 pin connectors I have which have 10 wires in the front one and 8 in back one?
75inAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 15:19   #2
RLeon
Avid contributor

Audi A3 E-tron/Triumph Stag/MG7 (1:18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75inAustralia View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to identify what pin does what for the two black cylinder connectors next to the battery for my 75 that is downshifting occasionally a little rough. The transmission fluid had been replaced and no fault codes come up on a T4, however I'd like to rule out any dodgy solenoids. I have found the drawing for the freelander transmission harness connector showing 18 pins however not sure how that relates to the two 10 pin connectors I have which have 10 wires in the front one and 8 in back one?
The 18 pin connector you are looking for is on top of the gearbox. You will have to remove the battery + box to get access. For the solenoid lay out see post 14 in Lay out pins
RLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 15:52   #3
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Violent gear changes are usually (but not always) down to the 2/4 Brake Duty Solenoid.

I have had situations where a faulty Solenoid won't always display a fault code, especially if the fault is intermittent.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 20:33   #4
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Is this any good, just bumped into it whilst reading another thread.

rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 01:56   #5
75inAustralia

Rover 75

Thanks for your help guys, I've attached a picture of the connector i've pulled apart for anyone interested. Unfortunately all the resistances fall within range so maybe not an easy fix. Now i'm wondering should I replace the 2/4 duty solenoid or all of them given they may be intermittently stuffed or keep driving it until something goes bang-pop. Its bringing up no fault codes just the occasional thump in an upshift 4-3 and sometimes thumps 2-3 but then other times shifts are fine. Temperature seems to make no difference. I will check the loom for any wires chafing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2010.jpg (132.1 KB, 212 views)
75inAustralia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 20:40   #6
simon8805
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Red face checking solenoid resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75inAustralia View Post
Thanks for your help guys, I've attached a picture of the connector i've pulled apart for anyone interested. Unfortunately all the resistances fall within range so maybe not an easy fix. Now i'm wondering should I replace the 2/4 duty solenoid or all of them given they may be intermittently stuffed or keep driving it until something goes bang-pop. Its bringing up no fault codes just the occasional thump in an upshift 4-3 and sometimes thumps 2-3 but then other times shifts are fine. Temperature seems to make no difference. I will check the loom for any wires chafing.
Whats the actual process for this check once you have the said harness socket in your hand, I assume output 1 and 2 are wired to volt meter and you just check the resistance output against the tolerance chart.

I further assume no actual gear selection is required or 12 volt power required as the battery has been removed.

The more detail the better!!

Thanks

Simon
simon8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 20:50   #7
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon8805 View Post
Whats the actual process for this check once you have the said harness socket in your hand, I assume output 1 and 2 are wired to volt meter and you just check the resistance output against the tolerance chart.

I further assume no actual gear selection is required or 12 volt power required as the battery has been removed.

The more detail the better!!

Thanks

Simon
That's correct Simon

All resistance checks done can be done without the battery fitted & without the need to move the gear selector at all.

Test as per chart (1 & 2, 3 & 4 etc)

Just compare readings with the chart above.

Good luck.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote