Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th March 2012, 22:39   #1
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Default Halogen Projectors

Is the front of the lense on a halogen projector supposed to be a slight milky colour or meant to be totally clear?
It looks like a coating of some sort but if it's meant to be clear, how do I clean them?
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 22:53   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

All headlamp lenses should be clear and colourless. Weathering and road debris slowly abrades the surface so they become milky/cloudy. It's basically covered with micro-scratches. The cure is to use a plastic abrasive polish to bring them back to normal. You can buy plastic lens polishes from motoring outlets or on eBay.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 22:58   #3
Steve916
This is my second home

They are mk 2 light units, so do I unclip the front plastic cover to get inside. I was a bit worried it might break if I tried to remove it
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Old 14th March 2012, 23:29   #4
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

No as far as I'm aware they are sealed units, so the polishing has to be done 'in situ'
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 23:36   #5
Steve916
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
No as far as I'm aware they are sealed units, so the polishing has to be done 'in situ'
Therefore I can't get to the convex projector lense to clean it then
Maybe I was misunderstood in my op (story of my life)
The plastic at the front of the light unit is clean. It's the actual lens inside the unit that seems to be coated

Old 15th March 2012, 15:28   #6
Spanky
Gets stuck in

Other (Ex ZT owner)

No, the actual projector lens shouldn't be clear and see through, they are a kind of milky colour as you say, maybe the others were meaning the headlamp lens cover as a whole....

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 15:49   #7
Steve916
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
No, the actual projector lens shouldn't be clear and see through, they are a kind of milky colour as you say, maybe the others were meaning the headlamp lens cover as a whole....
Thanks for that. Yes, that's what I was meaning

Old 15th March 2012, 15:55   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Yes, I thought you meant the outer cover glass/lens. The bulls-eye projector lens is nominally clear glass. The spherical shape may cause reflected light effects that make it look cloudy, but it shouldn't have any opacity. There may be traces of dust covering it, which has got inside the lamp casing somehow, but that won't significantly affect the output. I just checked mine and they are visually clear glass. At a certain angle, there appears to be a 'dusting' but no so much that you would notice specifically. My impression is that the OP's lenses are clouded. If so I'd suggest it's most likely dust from a bad fitting cap.

A photo would be useful.

TC
Old 15th March 2012, 16:09   #9
Steve916
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Yes, I thought you meant the outer cover glass/lens. The bulls-eye projector lens is nominally clear glass. The spherical shape may cause reflected light effects that make it look cloudy, but it shouldn't have any opacity. There may be traces of dust covering it, which has got inside the lamp casing somehow, but that won't significantly affect the output. I just checked mine and they are visually clear glass. At a certain angle, there appears to be a 'dusting' but no so much that you would notice specifically. My impression is that the OP's lenses are clouded. If so I'd suggest it's most likely dust from a bad fitting cap.

A photo would be useful.

TC
Thanks TC I'll try and get a close up photo at weekend

Steve

Old 15th March 2012, 16:17   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Update:
I just took some closeups of my lamp lens and there does indeed appear to be a surface texture that you wouldn't normally notice. Whether this is added onto the lens surface or 'cast' with the lens, I don't know. This can be seen from certain angles and not others.

Photo 1

In the above photo, I think you may see the adjustable mask which cuts out the upper edge of the beam to prevent blinding the oncoming traffic. This is attached to the adjuster lever for swapping it to LHD system.

Photo 2

The next one is a similar shot of a HID lens. Whether these are intrinsically different I don't know.

Photo 3

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 15th March 2012 at 16:24..