Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th January 2012, 19:54   #1
Tim 75

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Synergy diesel tuning box.

I would like to attach a Synergy diesel tuning box to my Rover 75 CDTi, 135ps variant, I am informed by Synergy that the engine would then be tuned to 160ps. My insurance company, Swinton, have advised me that I would have to pay an additional premium of £900. Synergy advise that some companies do not charge for an increase of up to 25%, they include: Esure, the AA. Elephant, Aviva and Admiral, they also suggest I try Adrian Flux or Chris Knott.

Do any members have a solution which would save me having to change companies? Tim 75.
Tim 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 20:00   #2
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 75 View Post
I would like to attach a Synergy diesel tuning box to my Rover 75 CDTi, 135ps variant, I am informed by Synergy that the engine would then be tuned to 160ps. My insurance company, Swinton, have advised me that I would have to pay an additional premium of £900. Synergy advise that some companies do not charge for an increase of up to 25%, they include: Esure, the AA. Elephant, Aviva and Admiral, they also suggest I try Adrian Flux or Chris Knott.

Do any members have a solution which would save me having to change companies? Tim 75.
I think that Admiral charged me £6.00 or in that region I cant exactly remember but it was very low
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 20:04   #3
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

I can't see any way around the increase with your present company however I can confirm that both Chris Knott and Adrian Flux have a sensible approach to mod's.Why not add the Synergy at renewal time.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 21:16   #4
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 75 View Post

Buy a "standard" V8 if you really want performance. WAY better performance AND insurance will be half what you've been quoted (I pay 321 for CDT and was quoted 500 for V8). Ok extra running cost in fuel but you can buy a tanker load of fuel for the extra premium you've been quoted just to have an extra 30bhp on a diesel. AND I can guarantee you, you will NOT get 30bhp extra. You'll most likely get 12-15bhp extra.

To me, it's a no brainer, stick with what you have. The 75 diesel wasn't designed to burn rubber, so why try to? If that's what you want, buy a Subaru.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 22:15   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
If that's what you want, buy a Subaru.
Simply because it makes the car much more drivable and you will feel more confident on the road.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 22:35   #6
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Simply because it makes the car much more drivable and you will feel more confident on the road.
Does that mean a 130bhp is dodgy to drive? You just might, and a big might, get 30 extra bhp on a brand new out the box car. On something a few years old, you'll be lucky to get an extra 15bhp. Rolling roads have proved that since rolling roads were invented. 90% of cars over 3yrs old have already lost at least 30% of their quoted power output. 8-10yr old cars, about half. Example - my step son's 110bhp brand new diesel will leave my "131bhp" fully serviced, remapped and sorted 10yr old for dead.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 22:39   #7
AngryDog
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT CDTi 116+

Thats like comparing apples and oranges.

You know you can make a car produce any power you want on a rolling road don't you?

What's your stepsons car? Maybe your car is a bit poorly as my zt cdti isn't exactly slow! I'd put it against my mates 150bhp 2.2 vectra and I'd be faster.

Plus your stepsons car could have lower gearing, better power delivery, vnt turbo etc
Old 6th January 2012, 01:43   #8
rotrex
Passed Away

mg zt cdti se 150+. mg ztt 190 lpg. rover 75 cdt club se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
Does that mean a 130bhp is dodgy to drive? You just might, and a big might, get 30 extra bhp on a brand new out the box car. On something a few years old, you'll be lucky to get an extra 15bhp. Rolling roads have proved that since rolling roads were invented. 90% of cars over 3yrs old have already lost at least 30% of their quoted power output. 8-10yr old cars, about half. Example - my step son's 110bhp brand new diesel will leave my "131bhp" fully serviced, remapped and sorted 10yr old for dead.
hi.
please dont get wrong idea I'm not here to fall out with you but have to say. {having witnessed,been involved in. more hours than I care to try count of rolling road tuning work} that you have somewhat lost touch with reality here. please let me help you get back on track.
any engine that has lost 30% its original bhp is a very sick enging indeed and would not survive a run on the roller to measure its output, as properly done r/r a car is very stressfull indeed on the whole drivetrain and any weakness normaly very quikly exposes itself in a very destructive fashion. as for lost half its bhp sorry it would be lucky to survive the drive to the rollers, and if it made its apointment the operator would refuse to run it explaining how sick the engine is on first hearing it run for a few seconds.
besides its all very well quoting bhp=good for sales. when in the real world its torque that counts ie a chipped {for want of better words}turbo diesel get a very usefull broad spread hike in torque=ft/lbs of grunt where its usefull for a very small £££ input. making the engine pull much stronger for longer thus making the car a better all round drive.
your sons 110bhp car could have a lot more torque than your 131bhp car for example ?
but I rather suspect it much lighter weight= a much higher PTW ratio= faster car
please what is your sons 110bhp car ? I suspect PSA group HDI 1.6
finaly to stay on topic, a synergy equiped 131 cdt gets a very usefull hike in grunt thoughout the rev range for a very reasonable price imo, never mind what the numbers say. tam.

Last edited by rotrex; 6th January 2012 at 02:00..
rotrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 08:58   #9
ednersand
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

have just put a synergy on my 116 and Adrian Flux charged me an extra 50 quid on top of the standard premium, i went to them as my then current insurer swiftcover would not insure a moddified car, i told Adrian flux that the tuning box according to Rons site could boost the bhp to 144, they said that would be impossible without extra mods well i'm no expert but as far as i'm concerned if i quote to them the info i have then i'm not hiding anything.
February'13
auto box rebuild £1440
March '13
new tyre £65
brake pads all around £140
spring £95
June '13
spring,track rod end and wishbone bush £240
July '13
under bonnet fuel pump £85
ednersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2012, 11:19   #10
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

An engine wont lose 30-50% of its power unless totally knackered. Ive seen older engines produce more power than originally claimed even after 10 years. I was able to out drag a Vectra SRI 150 in my Rover 420 GSI turbo despite having a hole in one piston!

The Synergy is more about torque than BHP. Diesels are tuned for fleet use, adequate performanc, best economy and absolutely no smoke. The synergy simple makes them deliver what they should always have done and often increases economy because people dont drive in the way the government tests are performed.