Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th December 2023, 11:39   #1
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Sonestarick - Starter Motor Issues

I was just going to replace the thermostat housing on my V6 auto'. Switched the ignition on and confronted with a constant yellow engine warning light and a flashing red light, on turning over the starter motor made a heavy grinding noise which I assume is where it is failing to engage properly. As I don't have the kit to identify the fault got the RAC out who confirmed the starter was indeed the fault and required replacing. I could use some advice as regards taking the unit off the car. Looking at the situ' I am thinking I could take the battery and box out disconnect/remove the throttle unit which would then give me access to the starter motor looks and sounds good, any advice would be much appreciated.
cheers.
Sonestarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2023, 17:16   #2
Francophile
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Connoisseur SE Saloon

Hello,

I, too, had the grinding noise from the starter motor earlier this year and replaced the contacts. That didn't work; the grinding continued and the motor began to stick intermittently. After two call-outs I bit the bullet and replaced the motor. Getting it out is tricky, but this should help: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=325175 The inserted link is also helpful.

Derek.

Last edited by Francophile; 9th December 2023 at 17:17.. Reason: Unnecessary qualification
Francophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2023, 20:32   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Rick, your P.M. inbox is full. Please clear some space so that I can reply.

Simon
Old 16th December 2023, 00:59   #4
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Red face Starter motor

Hi Simon,
Emptied messages folder now .
Cheers Rick'
Old 16th December 2023, 07:14   #5
SD1too

Default V6 auto

Thanks Rick but four days later ...

Have you made any progress on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonestarick View Post
Switched the ignition on and confronted with a constant yellow engine warning light and a flashing red light ...
If you mean the "check engine" light then what did the RAC say about that? Also, can you identify the flashing red light in your owner's handbook please Rick.
Quote:
... on turning over the starter motor made a heavy grinding noise which I assume is where it is failing to engage properly.
That's unlikely with a pre-engaged starter. They're designed so that motor doesn't receive an electrical supply until it is meshed with the engine. This, coupled with the warning lights, makes me suspicious that there's something else going on with the engine.
Quote:
I am thinking I could take the battery and box out disconnect/remove the throttle unit ...
Yes, remove the battery and its box but leave the throttle body alone.

And just a tip on your original plans ...
Quote:
I was just going to replace the thermostat housing on my V6 auto'.
If you have the common leakage the cause is flattened 'O' rings (CDU 3858). I'd strongly recommend retaining your original housing since it's likely to be higher quality than the replacements which also, it's been reported by members, have a cooler thermostat inside which isn't correct for our climate.

Simon
Old 16th December 2023, 12:07   #6
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Angry

Hi Simon, Apologies for the delay. 1st RAC patrol advised after testing and listening to the metallic noise from the starter that yes starter if faulty.
After charging battery I checked the battery voltage and it was 14.3Volts standing and 11.7 V. under load. After replacing starter motor and engaging starter was presented with a double chunk (for want of a better description)
then nothing. So called RAC again ( different patrolman) Andrew this time who
when switching on the ignition and engaging starter was presented with the double clunk - ran a few tests then asked to test the original starter motor and found after testing that the original starter motor was A OK ! he then attempted to get a long ring spanner down from the top of engine on to crankshaft but could'nt manage it then was going to jack up front of car but finding the tray in situ' aborted and advised better get it into a garage and have it diagnostically tested. He advised putting original starter back on and returning the new unit for refund. So come Sunday I have a friend coming round ( a mechanic) also a member of the club used to working on these vehicles who will jack up car and see if crank will turn and take it from there.
Old 2nd January 2024, 07:39   #7
SD1too

Hello again Rick and thank you for your P.M. early this morning.
Quote:
So come Sunday I have a friend coming round ( a mechanic) also a member of the club used to working on these vehicles who will jack up car and see if crank will turn and take it from there.
So what was the result of your friend's visit on 17th December?

Simon
Old 7th January 2024, 01:04   #8
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Unhappy Engine not turning/ starter issue.

Hello again Simon, things have moved on somewhat. Friend John turned up to do a diagnostic check but the system would not allow him in fully it would only give so much info ! not enough to show the problem. So I have had the car into a garage who have now done a diagnostic check and determined that the engine would not turn over due to a water pressure build up. They managed to reduce the water pressure build up by moving the car back and forth and managed to turn the engine over and got the engine running again. Seemingly it is firing on 5 cylinders okay but intermittently on the 6th. Also it shows signs of steam coming out the exhaust. I will find out the true story on Monday as only spoken to the garage over the phone Friday night. I will get the print out and full story in detail then. Their opinion is that the head gasket or gaskets have gone which could lead to more in depth work involved further to heads requiring skimming pressure testing etc etc.
At the moment I am concentrating on getting it back to base and conversations with friends to determine which way to proceed, don't want to think about off loading the car but ? Cheers Rick'
Old 7th January 2024, 07:52   #9
SD1too

Quote:
Their opinion is that the head gasket or gaskets have gone ...
Yes, on the forum we've come across this before from garages. KV6 head gaskets are a different design to the 1.8 litre item which has the reputation of failure. It would take serious abuse to damage one so I have to ask you Rick, is there more to reveal about this car's history (particularly regarding overheating)?

In the meantime there's a business based on the south coast which has specific experience of the 75/ZT and they travel. I think they're in the Brighton area but I can't remember the name. They've been recommended on the forum many times. I'd recommend that you consult them.

Simon
Old 8th January 2024, 09:01   #10
Sonestarick
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Simon,
Thanks again for the advice which I will look into today particularly as you say this company travel. I bought the car 10 years ago with a mileage of K93 miles.
And so it goes on -
If possible would you e-mail me and I can go in depth regards the history if you are interested to that extent if not I fully understand.
Many thanks for the ongoing advice which I will take and act on.
Meanwhile today after the garage has cleared the car for collection which I will do tomorrow and bring back to base for further ongoing action.
Thanks again.
Richard.