Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th May 2011, 17:55   #11
Godders 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 diesel auto Tourer odessey blue

When i say 'nothing' in the background i mean netbook switched on and click to go on line, if there was anything else i never clicked to use it, obviously if youv'e got 2 or 3 screens going then that would affect it. if you dont mind me asking which netbook do you use jakg.
Old 24th May 2011, 18:00   #12
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godders 75 View Post
if you dont mind me asking which netbook do you use jakg.
Currently, nothing (I've gone for an ultaportable laptop), but in the past a Compaq 311 and a Samsung NC10 - however underneath all netbooks are very similar in terms of speed, with an Atom and 1GB of RAM.
Quote:
When i say 'nothing' in the background i mean netbook switched on and click to go on line
Just because you havent opened anything, doesn't mean it wasn't running anything!

From the factory, it will have loads of **** installed - i.e. Sonys backup software, their connectivity manger, their quicklauncher, some trial AV software etcetcetc. OEM's are paid quite a lot to load all this **** on there that loads on startup automatically.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 18:36   #13
Godders 75
Loves to post

See what you mean jakg, when you look at all the pre loaded programs it only takes a few to trigger in needed or not and i suppose its got to slow it down. another thing i remember was the cursor at times really didn't want to move, it did eventually but consistantly mucking about getting the cursor to move was a pain.
Old 25th May 2011, 18:35   #14
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

The Atom is a a horrid, weasy old CPU. Its just dog slow and has no decent acceleration of anything like movies etc. My phone can handle stuff even the latest atoms cant. My netbook has a CULV processor (Celeron ultra low voltage) dual core. Its pretty perky and plays HD movies etc because of its chipset having an accelerating GPU.
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:04   #15
Godders 75
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
The Atom is a a horrid, weasy old CPU. Its just dog slow and has no decent acceleration of anything like movies etc. My phone can handle stuff even the latest atoms cant. My netbook has a CULV processor (Celeron ultra low voltage) dual core. Its pretty perky and plays HD movies etc because of its chipset having an accelerating GPU.
Ive noticed some the more expensive netbooks have a celeron processor ive not bothered to pursue them because on laptops they were the slow processor, what is the details of the celeron chip you have. And what netbook do you have , if dont mind me asking.
thanks
Gary

Last edited by Godders 75; 25th May 2011 at 21:09..
Godders 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:12   #16
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Like anything else, it's cost vs use. If you want a netbook for basic use, internet, e-mail, etc then the atom cpu is more than capable. If you want something meatier that will do more, pay more and you'll get it - but if you are not using it for that, it's a waste of money.

That said, if you are paying more for a netbook that peforms like a laptop, just buy a laptop
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:26   #17
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Ive noticed some the more expensive netbooks have a celeron processor ive not bothered to pursue them because on laptops they were the slow processor, what is the details of the celeron chip you have. And what netbook do you have , if dont mind me asking.
thanks
Gary
The Celerons are very basic CPU's - however the newer Celerons (ignoring the C900 / C925s) are just Pentiums with half the cache disabled and a lower FSB.

And the newer Pentiums are just a Core 2 Duo with half the cache disabld and a lower FSB... so they aren't actually that bad.

The Atom is a LOT slower than any Celeron, it's not a fast chip - but it's not meant to be. It's meant to be fast enough to surf the internet, and cost very little - and there it succeeds.

Are you thinking netbook because it's cheap, or because it's small, or because you like the idea of a long battery life? Or a combination of those?
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 21:48   #18
Godders 75
Loves to post

Iam looking at a netbook mainly for portability like on holiday, i have a laptop but it weighs a fair bit, i'll probably pay around £300.
Old 26th May 2011, 05:45   #19
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

My netbook is actually a an 11.6 inch device. Its more useful than a netbook, which i think is too underpowered, they struggle with movies and flash, and more compact than a full size lappy. It also has 10 hour battery life.
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 16:41   #20
Godders 75
Loves to post

Quote:
My netbook is actually a an 11.6 inch device. Its more useful than a netbook, which i think is too underpowered, they struggle with movies and flash, and more compact than a full size lappy. It also has 10 hour battery life.
What model is it please?