Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th November 2006, 12:52   #11
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
True yes; the perception of a typical BMW driver does tend to be more accurate than not BUT I would hope we do not sink so low as to start seeing BMW-bashing threads on here. That's how bad feeling enters a forum.
Being the proud owner of a 1990 BMW 325i convertible I would certainly take offense if the bashing would get too serious.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2006, 13:56   #12
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

No bashing going on in here

It's not just BMW drivers that hog the road.............. it's all non rover drivers that get in my way

The car i had before this was a BMW 525 TDSE 1996, it was a great car and i had it for 2 years without a problem
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2006, 14:33   #13
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Biggles, I have to admit I've never driven a BMW or a Volvo for that matter, so any "bashing" I do is either bandwagon and therefore for a laugh, or frankly as a result of experiences over 40+ years of motoring (in the UK!).

However, the reason for this post is not to offend, but to ask, in all honesty, do you have a different driving approach when driving the BMW? (apart from enjoyng the jealous looks you get as it's a convertible)

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2006, 15:35   #14
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacat View Post
Driving down the A12 yesterday evening, the road narrows from 3 lanes to two somewhere near Brentwood. There are huge signs showing that 3 lanes are going to two. As I moved out of the 3rd lane to enter what became a dual carriage way, there was horrible graunching sound. The car behind me tried to overtake where the road narrowed and wiped out his offside on the central resevation barrier.

Ah well, thats BMW drivers for you.
Well that brought a smile to my face for to day
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2006, 20:01   #15
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacat View Post
Driving down the A12 yesterday evening, the road narrows from 3 lanes to two somewhere near Brentwood. There are huge signs showing that 3 lanes are going to two. As I moved out of the 3rd lane to enter what became a dual carriage way, there was horrible graunching sound. The car behind me tried to overtake where the road narrowed and wiped out his offside on the central resevation barrier.

Ah well, thats BMW drivers for you.
I know that bit of the A12 as I'm from Woodbridge n.r Ipswich, I've seen a few near accidents there.

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

Money can't buy happiness. But it sure makes misery easier to live with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 Club Auto K-Series 2.5 Litre Quad Cam 24 Valve in Steel Blue December 2000 Cowley build.
driverjgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 05:55   #16
Womble
Avid contributor

ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyman View Post
It's not just BMW drivers that hog the road.............. it's all non rover drivers that get in my way
Hmm..... I think you might find half of this forum tending to disagree with that! ... The faster half!

I was once one of four people held up in a traffic queue behind a Primrose Yellow Rover 75 driving through Richmond park at a steady 18mph. Now of course I should point out that the speed limit through Richmond park is only 20mph, so the poor chap was only driving within the speed limit, but the other 4 of us were all on push bikes! Right the way through the park, this poor guy had dog walkers and the like pointing at him and laughing. How he managed to resist the temptation to just put his foot down enough to pull away from us, I really don't know!

'Kermit' - MG ZT-T 260 Mk1 - VIN 019
Womble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 07:37   #17
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Biggles, I have to admit I've never driven a BMW or a Volvo for that matter, so any "bashing" I do is either bandwagon and therefore for a laugh, or frankly as a result of experiences over 40+ years of motoring (in the UK!).

However, the reason for this post is not to offend, but to ask, in all honesty, do you have a different driving approach when driving the BMW? (apart from enjoyng the jealous looks you get as it's a convertible)

Malcolm
I think my approach to driving as such is not much different between the 75 and the BMW. I would say I am a pretty cautious driver. That said, I do drive them differently - the BMW loves going fast around tight corners. Best environment for that car is a countryside 45-55 mph road with lots of tight curves (roof down of course Doing that with the 75 could probably make you seasick in comparison.

So, in all honesty, yes I do have another style while driving the BMW. Having passed 35 years of age I also am pretty much past breaking speed limits (at least not significantly). You'll get there anyway, and if it's fun you're after you just need to find a suitable road. And as there probably is just a pinch higher risk in the BMW driving there are offsetting factors such as active driving keeping you more alert - dozing along at 65 mph in the 75 on freeway (what's that called in the U.K?) with cruise control on does not do much in that department.

Being such a perfect driver , there are still things that still irritates me:

1. People overtaking around corners, pushing sudden opposing traffic out on the shoulder.
2. People driving 5 km/h UNDER the legal speed limit. All the time. No matter what.
3. People 0,5 meters from my rear bumper on the freeway, frenetically flashing their lights to push me out of the way while I'm overtaking a number of cars doing 2) above.

It's probably like this: There are a lot or people with a bad attitude to driving in a way that will a risk to their own safety as well to others. These kind of drivers will probably be quite attracted to a high power BMW.

And everyone: No offense taken. None. The abundance of different smileys nonwithstanding, internet forums are challenging when it comes to getting the right message through.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 19:11   #18
Simon
Banned

-

I don't have a particular oposition to different car drivers, except the young and stupid. Now, we were all young once, but I never remember feeling the need to drive at 60mph, 1 foot from the car in front in a 30mph zone just because "it felt like fun". I saw this happen the other night.

It's times like these I wish I had some blue lights on my car. Oh what fun I could have!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 19:15   #19
Simon
Banned

-

I don't have a particular oposition to different car drivers, except the young and stupid. Now, we were all young once, but I never remember feeling the need to drive at 60mph, 1 foot from the car in front in a 30mph zone just because "it felt like fun". I saw this happen the other night.

It's times like these I wish I had some blue lights on my car. Oh what fun I could have!

Never the less, young boy-racers seem to be getting worse and worse. I admit I may have not been the perfect young driver and I may have made mistakes but still - theres no excuse for blatant stupidity.

Rep-mobiles on the motorways are also slightly annoying in that they drive up to your bumper making you pull-over for them to overtake. I can kind of sympathise with them as they do usually have appoinments to keep.

All in all, slower driving, within posted speed limits, enjoying the scenery is much more enjoyable. Plus - I get to listen to whole albums on my journeys! Ace!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 23:30   #20
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Volvos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Now Volvos - don't get me started on Volvos

Or me, they're my pet hate. Actually it's not the cars it's the stupid bl**dy driver most of the time
'Bought a Volvo cause they're so safe if you have an accident'
Madam, its you that caused the accident !
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote