Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th September 2011, 09:38   #1
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Default Another stupid idea coming into place

Well, it appears that Sell By Dates are to be removed from Food packaging. Because apparently we britons are too thick to know what a Sell By Date and a Use By Date is

It is supposed to be an effort to stop the alleged throwing away of £12Bn a year worth of Edible food.

So, first off, who checked all the Bins in the entire UK to reach this figure?

More info here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14925046

My Favourite comments are:

Quote:
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) says five million tonnes of edible food is discarded by UK households annually - the equivalent of £680 for a household with children.
Again, someone please point me to the person that checked this, seriously please do, they deserve a medal.

Quote:
"Helping consumers understand that food past its best-before date can still be eaten or cooked could contribute to reducing food waste and saving people money," he said.
Yeah because we all know that Milk doesn't sour and Meat doesn't start to rot.

Maybe they should concentrate on how long food has been kept frozen / stored before being put to retail sales, such as the whole fish scandal where Fish had been frozen for 11 Months before being sold to customers labelled as "Fresh" yeah Fresh out the Freezer maybe. Or maybe they could look into the use of Chemicals to keep prepacked meat 'Fresh' in the packet.
Old 15th September 2011, 16:16   #2
Brush 1
Passed Away

rover 75 club se

i k now a few shops that when the date gets near they change the label with a new 1 with a new date, and even when the meat colour starts to change they make it into mince so that know 1 knows
Brush 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 16:52   #3
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

I was based at a place in Canada, which apart from 4 months, was frozen and snowed in. All the supplies for the year had to be brought in during that weather window.

Towards the end of the winter, most things were past their sell by dates. Did us no harm!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 20:31   #4
baconbuttyman
Banned

many times i have heard my kids say, oh this need using up as it goes off today, many time i have explained the concept of sell by dates, use by dates. things just dont go OFF just like that.
baconbuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote