Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th November 2010, 19:02   #1
dave s a
Regular poster

Mg zt

Default smart nav

hi there is smart nav worth paying for has anybody got any feedback thanks dave
dave s a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 12:54   #2
Pedro
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi Saloon, facelift model, manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave s a View Post
hi there is smart nav worth paying for has anybody got any feedback thanks dave
Hi Dave, I've got Smartnav. In my opinion, the navigation side of it is disappointing. OK, it takes current road conditions into account and tends not to send you down the farm tracks that some other satnav systems do, but unless you purchase an expensive screen to go with it, all you get is spoken instructions and mine, at full volume, is difficult to hear when on a motorway with the cd player turned up. Also, if you miss your turn or decide to improvise on the route, all you get is an invitation to contact the Smartnav control centre for new directions rather than an automatic re-calculation of the route. The speed camera warning module, though, is useful, if expensive. (I think the annual sub is about £90). You do have to download a route from Smartnav though to update the database. It can be quite irritating if you're driving at 70 on a stretch of motorway where road works have recently been completed and your Smartnav still thinks it's a 50 limit. The constant loud beeps can drive you mad. All in all, if I need GPS navigation, I tend to stick my TomTom on the windscreen!

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 17:37   #3
woolleysox
This is my second home

Black V8 Ztt 260SE

Each to his own I had a traffic master fitted in m previous car and as I use my car for work that includes visiting sites around the country. I paid the annual fee for nav,cameras,and tracking. It never got me lost TomTom has three times now. The speed cameras were as good as Tom Tom and the road speeds are often out of date on TomTom. As the Traffic Master system has a live connection you can even ask for help if in an accident. I never did get around to fitting a screen to the Traffic Master. My present car has a full blown MGR sat Nav with the MK3 sat nav its slow and and the graffics are very dated and carnt use post codes. I now have a Tom Tom on the screen wires down the dash keeps falling off the screen leave large sucker marks its a pain. You pay your money
woolleysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 18:45   #4
dave s a
Regular poster

Mg zt

thanks for the infor still in 2 minds
dave s a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 18:54   #5
Pedro
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi Saloon, facelift model, manual

My TomTom has never got me lost although it's sent me down one or two muddy farm tracks! The screen mount that came with my TomTom was pitiful and never stayed on the windscreen for more than a few minutes, so I got one of these http://www.arkon.com/tomtom_one_xl_mount.php which is much better.

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 18:59   #6
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

A big fan of Smartnav here,i have it factory fitted in my 75 and also had it fitted in my 200 coupe less than a month ago,this time with the optional touchscreen as well as the call button.It can be configured to mute the audio when giving an instruction,so missing an instruction is not an issue.You can opt for auto re-route in your prefferences on the website,although i believe it does it automatically now,both my cars do anyway.I've only been through temporary roadworks once (where there were cameras) but it was certainly aware of the temporary speed limit on that occasion as it beeped if i went above that.

As the fitting of Smartnav in the coupe was a brand new installation,they gave me a full years routing,1 months camera allerts and 1 months tracking FREE.As my 75 is a weekend/fine days only car i have have a top up pay as you go subscription,meaning i only pay when the car is in use.My coupe is also a weekend toy so i will revert to a pay as you go with that after the first year has passed.They had a recent offer on whereas you could add a years camera allerts to you top up subscription for a one off payment of £50.

I'll be fitting the Chinese double din to the 75 over the next couple of months but will deffinately be retaining the Smartnav.

VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote