Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th June 2020, 22:54   #1
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Basic Tool Kit

I kind of asked on a different thread, but no response...however I'm certain you guys can chip in here with some advice..?

I will shortly, probably, be fitting a new carpet to my Tourer, not that it really needs it - I just fancied spoiling my car a bit more I may also attempt a few other minor jobs, like fitting a new pollen filter and air filter. I guess I might even have to change a wheel at some stage, though I'd prefer not to!

So, I need a basic tool set to remove the seats at least; I understand that involves a set of Torx screws, and maybe even something called a Ribe bit socket??

Please, point me in the right direction on eBay or Amazon or wherever as there are far too many different tool boxes out there for me to work out what I need! (what I really need is a knowledgeable mechanically minded friend that owes me one! ) I will also need some copper grease? Or waxoyl? Or anything else you boys deem must have...
Interior Trim Sports PPH Black, but now with real walnut wooden trim!
One of only 20 on the road!
Pueblo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2020, 23:06   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post
I kind of asked on a different thread, but no response...however I'm certain you guys can chip in here with some advice..?

I will shortly, probably, be fitting a new carpet to my Tourer, not that it really needs it - I just fancied spoiling my car a bit more I may also attempt a few other minor jobs, like fitting a new pollen filter and air filter. I guess I might even have to change a wheel at some stage, though I'd prefer not to!

So, I need a basic tool set to remove the seats at least; I understand that involves a set of Torx screws, and maybe even something called a Ribe bit socket??

Please, point me in the right direction on eBay or Amazon or wherever as there are far too many different tool boxes out there for me to work out what I need! (what I really need is a knowledgeable mechanically minded friend that owes me one! ) I will also need some copper grease? Or waxoyl? Or anything else you boys deem must have...
Keep an eye out in Lidl (not having an Aldi here, I cannot say how theirs are, but I believe they do similar), for one of THESE. It is surprisingly well made, however it is NOT a professional set, but for DIY it is brilliant, and has handled everything I have thrown at it (did my brakes, front and rear suspension, including rear subframe, and interior). As I said previously in your other post, the only thing it does not have is a ribe 8, which you may not actually need anyway. It also doesnt have a long reach torx 25 for the steering wheel airbag, and security pentalobe bits for the immobiliser unit. You can buy each of the required bits separately though for a few pounds should you actually need them. Lidl do a few smaller kits also, but that particular one is so comprehensive, I would reckon aside from pliers, it would be all you would need year in year out.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2020, 23:11   #3
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks again for that, Alan. I have kept an eye open at Lidl and Aldi, in fact, I'm also on their mailing lists, so should see them if they crop up. Failing which, there is no shortage of choice available on eBay, Amazon et al...I just wouldn't know NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- from something decent, hence the need for advice.
Old 16th June 2020, 00:03   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Thanks again for that, Alan. I have kept an eye open at Lidl and Aldi, in fact, I'm also on their mailing lists, so should see them if they crop up. Failing which, there is no shortage of choice available on eBay, Amazon et al...I just wouldn't know NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- from something decent, hence the need for advice.
I have found that the majority of Lidl tools are great for DIY use. I do not imagine they will last in a professional environment (however occasionally, you will read of pros recommending certain tools, with Einhell being suggested as a potential manufacturer of their cordless power tools). But they have not let me down, and even if they did, they normally have a 3 year warranty with them.

The one I linked to above is the one I have, and as I said, it has done everything I have asked of it. They are six sided sockets too (which is what to look for by the way - not 12 sided). They look the part, but in all honesty, I was genuinely expecting to split the odd socket but so far, I havent. Even (dangerously, as I didn t have an 18mm impact socket) used one of the sockets on the, again Lidl, electric impact wench on a seized suspension nut.
That set has torx sockets as well as keys, even a 7mm allen socket for the brakes. There are Ribe bits in it, but they are not big enough for the seats, but the torx bit supplied is, if it is a torx50. Am convinced it is a rebranded Hilka set.

I am a huge fan of Lidl tools, most I reckon are chinese made, but if you look and compare some of them, they are identical to other chinese made tools like Draper, and Clarke! Yet you have to pay a premium for those brand names.

They also do a smaller set, if your budget will not permit, and I think it would cover a lot of what you would need to do on a regular basis. I even bought one a few years ago, for around £20, that is designed to fit onto worn nuts and bolts. But I havent used it in anger yet.

HERE are some videos of unboxing and reviews on YouTube to give you an idea.

They are mainly branded Powerfix, but I have found, on ebay and Amazon, this brand tends to be heavily overpriced, EXAMPLE. This particular one is around £35 - £40 in Lidl when they have them.

THIS tool will work for the steering wheel airbag should you need to remove it, as the ones in the kit, will not fit - but again Lidl have Allen Key and Torx sets occasionally.

THIS set looks similar to my Lidl one, although it has polished chrome sockets. Mine are satin chrome. I cannot comment on it though. I would strongly suggest if you can, to wait for Lidl to have one of their DIY middle row specials, and have a look. They normally have these every 6 weeks or so. As I said, I am a big fan of them now, and they are incredible value for money. Aldi may of course do similar, but I cannot comment.

Old 16th June 2020, 07:02   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

May I add into the mix, torque wrench to cover 125nm for wheel bolts and a test meter, one that can do amps. Long 5mm allan key (wrench) for the air filter housing? Pozi drive screw driver.

The tools you need will depend on how much work you want to do, once you start you may want to do more and more

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 07:08   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I use a fair few of Lidl’s air tools while working on our cars, never managed to destroy one yet (And I have tried)
Old 16th June 2020, 15:40   #7
Alan_M
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer + saloon

It depends how much you want to spend. If you want something that will pretty much last a life time then the Halfords advanced sets are good like this one - https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-...et-735831.html
It’s what I use.
They are good quality, but not cheap unless you time it right when they are on offer. I got my set during a flash sale at half price. If you do manage to break something (I’ve broken 2 of the Allen bits, but with some serious force in them using a cheater bar ) they will replace it FOC with no quibble.
Alan_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2020, 16:43   #8
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

At £200, half price sounds more like my price..!

I took a wander around Aldi and LIDL's today, and the latter have their "POWERFI" 51 piece socket set on sale at £80. I don't recall seeing a Torx set included though... LIDL also had a cordless water gun for sale, similar to the WORX one I sent back to Amazon, at £50, plus another £20 or so if you need to buy the battery to go with it. That's almost £40 cheaper than Amazon.

Is this the same LIDL kit everyone is recommending?
Old 16th June 2020, 17:39   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
At £200, half price sounds more like my price..!

I took a wander around Aldi and LIDL's today, and the latter have their "POWERFI" 51 piece socket set on sale at £80. I don't recall seeing a Torx set included though... LIDL also had a cordless water gun for sale, similar to the WORX one I sent back to Amazon, at £50, plus another £20 or so if you need to buy the battery to go with it. That's almost £40 cheaper than Amazon.

Is this the same LIDL kit everyone is recommending?
The 51 piece, I dont know which one it is, but it is not the one I was referring to. The one I referred to before is 216 piece. Was it the correct price? I thought the 50 piece was around £30 or 40.

They also used to do a household kit, with a hammer pliers a few spinners etc for around 30 also.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Old 16th June 2020, 17:41   #10
Pueblo_Boy
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I asked because £79.99 seemed a tad expensive for such a small tool box. Maybe they are high quality...

There are a number of kits of 94 pieces for around £34 on ebay, but not sure of their quality.

Last edited by Pueblo_Boy; 16th June 2020 at 17:50..