Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th September 2017, 18:36   #1
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Default Why?

Just been out replacing contacts on my starter solenoid and as I had to remove the intake manifold I got to wondering why there are eight ports on it (excluding the inlet of course) - the square ones into the head I'd expect but what do the round ones into the cam cover do?
Old 11th September 2017, 19:03   #2
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Swirl chambers
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 19:30   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector-9 View Post
Just been out replacing contacts on my starter solenoid and as I had to remove the intake manifold.....
Hope you don't mind me asking, but why remove the intake manifold?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 20:24   #4
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Didn't look like there'd be enough room to extract it with the manifold on, and it's a quick enough job to remove. Also found out the vacuum pipe to the EGR valve was disconnected on my 'spare' 75 which I'm currently using, and pretty much ruined on my laid-up 'daily' so I'll need to order a length to replace it with.
Old 11th September 2017, 20:38   #5
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Swirl chambers
Ok, so basically each port feeds one inlet valve, and there are two inlet tract lengths per cylinder? I can understand the logic of this in a petrol engine where fuel is injected outside of the cylinder (turbulence helps to vapourise it), but how does it help in a diesel where fuel isn't injected until well after the inlet valve has closed?
Old 12th September 2017, 03:57   #6
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Ok, so basically each port feeds one inlet valve, and there are two inlet tract lengths per cylinder? I can understand the logic of this in a petrol engine where fuel is injected outside of the cylinder (turbulence helps to vapourise it), but how does it help in a diesel where fuel isn't injected until well after the inlet valve has closed?

A very good question. And a very well made point. I had always just assumed this was a common part to both compression ignition and spark ignition engines. But having looked up the parts listing it is not. Does anybody know the answer. You have now got two curious people out here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 05:33   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Quote:
Even after the inlet valves have closed and the piston comes up on the compression stroke, the air continues to swirl around inside the cylinder in a diesel engine.

This aids combustion and lowers emissions when the fuel is injected by helping to mix the fuel droplets with a larger volume of the available air in the cylinder.
Old 12th September 2017, 10:37   #8
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Indeed it would swirl around but I'd have thought the rising piston would have a greater affect than the (now closed) inlet tracts? I briefly thought it was to help with scavenging exhaust gasses as there's often a period of overlap where both inlet and exhaust valves are open. Thinking deeper on that, it's not possible on engines where the valves and pistons interfere as all valves must be closed before TDC meaning there can be no overlap period. I suppose there could be more than one cam lobe per valve, allowing two valve openings in quick succession, or one inlet valve could be set to open just after the exhaust valves and then close before TDC, but I don't believe that's the case here.

One day they'll be able to use solenoid operated valves and do away with all the cams, cam driving paraphenalia and external EGR valves - but I suspect we'll be on electric motors before then.
Old 12th September 2017, 14:45   #9
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

One of the ports is the main charge port and the other is the swirl port, they are at different angles. The swirl port comes in more from the side and causes the injected fuel air mix to swirl round and so causes the fuel air mix to fill the combustion chamber. this makes for more efficient combustion

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and "160", Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 08:07   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Quote:
Indeed it would swirl around but I'd have thought the rising piston would have a greater affect than the (now closed) inlet tracts? .
In practice they both have an effect - even though the ports have been closed the air doesn't immediately stop swirling just because it is being compressed.