Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th July 2016, 23:02   #1
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Much benefit from simply changing door speakers?

I'm after a bit more bass, the OE seems a bit light. A subwoofer is a last resort, so is there much to be gained by changing the door speakers for the same size but better units? Or... can bigger be fitted without too much pain?
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 19:06   #2
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
I'm after a bit more bass, the OE seems a bit light. A subwoofer is a last resort, so is there much to be gained by changing the door speakers for the same size but better units? Or... can bigger be fitted without too much pain?
Certainly a decent set of components will improve the sound quality and also using some sound deadening material will also help matters.

The speakers are 165mm and there aren't really many larger choices out there in component form.

If you really want bass reinforcement though a subwoofer really is something for you to look into and of course used in conjunction with an improved front speaker system should give you a nicely balanced, tight and forceful sound stage
Old 28th July 2016, 19:21   #3
aircub
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT Cdti 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenesmus View Post
Fitted a small Kenwood undersea Subwoofer in the boot in place of the CD changer. Its small but made one hell of a difference to the sound in the car.

Kenwood Under Seat Subwoofer
(Could not fit it under the seat as I have electric seats and no room)
aircub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2016, 11:43   #4
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Well, I would but a) the CD changer normally fits there but b) I've taken it out as there's a rain leak that goes right on and into it so I need to get that fixed first... I did think about one of those underseat jobs over on the other side of the boot where that recess is.
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Old 31st July 2016, 15:19   #5
directstep
Loves to post

MG ZT 190+

1. Get a decent but not OTT set of components for the Front Doors. Sound Deaden doors (30-50%) and cover big holes as best you can. Dispense with the oem foam sheet. Fix speakers in with MDF baffles if possible with moisture guard behind. This should give you some nice tight mid-bass/lower mids. Best results will be achieved using a small 2-way Amp (40-50 watt rms per channel) - this will fit nicely under the glove box completely out of sight. (easy to wire in from there as well)
2. Optionally add an "under-seat" mini subwoofer. Obviously one of these will not be like a big SubWoofer in the boot, but remember this.... the object is to end up with a solid, seamless sound, not in most cases booming bass.
There are several decent ones around, Kenwood, Pioneer etc. What these will do is fill in just below the components..... * most people really do not need or want Big Low Bass. It's a misconception easily spread. Big subwoofers in the boot of 75s/ZTs can be a pig to set-up because the cabins are so well cocooned and the sound can struggle to come through and give an integrated sound.
directstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016, 17:41   #6
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

The first option is interesting. The second not so much, as underseat speakers don't fit under electric seats, as far as I'm aware... hence putting in the boot, but your point about not being able to hear it too well is taken.