Notices

Closed Thread

Old 28th June 2016, 10:42   #181
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Just like there was not going to be any financial impact from the leave vote?

I admire passion but when people start to kid themselves......

FYI - the Vauxhall Omega is better built than the 75!

There will be another referendum and a vote to Join the EU - it will probably not be for many years until the young are in control but it will happen.

IMHO Brexit will go down in history as a mistake of monumental proportions - the second Charge of the Light Brigade.

PS - in order to show solidarity with our EU comrades, I am thinking of buying a chic French hard top for the memsahib. It will complement her R75 beautifully.

Actually...
I have only a few shares, but in fact, they are currently at the highest that have been since perhaps 2011.
You might find the following copy and paste interesting:
‘Brexit’ doesn’t mean game over, but it may be just the first domino
by ANDREW ROSS SORKIN | JUNE 28, 2016
JPMorgan AM: Brexit is a shock to the system

JPMorgan AM's Michael Falcon says the period of volatility will extend a while longer as markets had not anticipated the Brexit outcome.

The Netherlands is a relatively healthy country, so — as a matter of pure economics — the repercussions of its leaving the European Union would most likely be muted. But if Brexit wasn't enough of an inspiration for other fiercely nationalistic and economically healthy countries to seek an exit, watching a place like the Netherlands that actually uses the euro (unlike Britain, which never switched from the pound) could prove to be a convincing model.

Richard N. Haass, president of the Council on Foreign Relations, has already predicted that several countries will leave the European Union within the next five years, which is increasingly becoming the conventional wisdom. Given the low growth of so many countries in the union, it is hard to imagine that a populistic revolt won't emerge.

"The global economy remains stuck in a deflationary expansion of minimal growth and minimal rates," Merrill Lynch wrote in a note to investors on Monday. "And electorates are increasingly voting in the developed world against wage deflation, high unemployment, immigration and inequality."

James Pethokoukis, a commentator at the American Enterprise Institute, recently found a memorandum written in 2011 during the euro crisis by Willem Buiter, the global chief economist at Citigroup, that imagined the destruction of the European Union. "A breakup of the Euro Area would be rather like the movie 'War of the Roses' version of a divorce: disruptive, destructive and without any winners," he wrote, describing how "even a partial one involving the exit of one or more fiscally and competitively weak countries, would be chaotic."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28th June 2016, 10:58   #182
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I've just watched that Farage speech. He got a sustained round of applause and cheering from the assembly. There was also a strong message of support for the UK result from the Dutch MEP which again drew applause and cheering from the assembly. This was followed by a ralleying chorus and standing ovation for the N. Irish MEP swearing devotion to the EU - expected - and Junker, three seats away from him, asked him "Why are you here?". He obviously doesn't think the rules should apply to dissenters.

Yet Farage was sidelined by the 'official' Leave campaign and played very little part in the TV debates. If it hadn't been for Farage there wouldn't have even been a referendum. Maybe that's what his detractors get so worked up about - it's all Farage's fault! For Pete's sake, we had it, it's over, it was fair and legal, now move on.

The whole EU parliament thing reminded me of what we used to see on TV when USSR government approved debates were to be seen and everyone knew what the vote would be before it was taken. All with fear written all over their faces.
Old 28th June 2016, 11:06   #183
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

That was classic.

Farage stood up and said " i told you 17 years ago i would lead a campaign for Britain to leave the EU and you all laughed at me "

" well your not laughing now are you".

That was class.
Old 28th June 2016, 11:26   #184
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Don't make me laugh! - The Remains keep desperately trying to make out it is all doom and gloom - whilst the reality is that after the result - the European Markets declined more.

Bloomberg - actually cited that "The EU owns the problem"
I am not here to make you laugh or get personal. No thank you sir! .

Let's move on, as I would like to see how you are going to bring this country back together. Your lot got us here. You keep harping on about doom and gloom with tired out rhetoric against the remainers. That is old news, something you don't get.

The referendum is over and it is time to get real and honest with Jo Public. No more lies about the promised land. Let's have the facts, your social and economic mandates for reform for starters.

Over to you?
Old 28th June 2016, 11:32   #185
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
That was classic.

Farage stood up and said " i told you 17 years ago i would lead a campaign for Britain to leave the EU and you all laughed at me "

" well your not laughing now are you".

That was class.
I thought that funny as well. He certainly is a confident speaker and a grand stager. I wonder who writes his lines
Old 28th June 2016, 11:38   #186
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I thought he was terrible - telling all the other MEP's that they have never had a real job was just crass.

Sadly Farage did what he always does - and that is allows himself to get riled by people like Junker - who was unbelievable this morning!

He said to Farage "What are you doing here" - Talk about petulant dummy spitting, foot stamping EU elites.

We had a lot of empathy in the room after Junkers outburst.

Then Farage blows it all away.

What a prize (.)
Old 28th June 2016, 12:06   #187
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I'm not an educated man, in fact I don't possess a single piece of paper that suggests I ever went to school, what little knowledge I have I have picked up from the university of life.
Not withstanding the above, I don't think I ever said that you had signed it, what I did say was that more than a few remain'ers had signed it, nor did I say that anything would come of it, indeed I think by implication, I said the complete opposite, the authorities are hardly going to offer a new referendum on the basis of a forged document, nor one signed substantially by non UK voters.
As for setting up the document, I'm not sure exactly what was wrong with that, other than the wording, which I referred to earlier. Who added the false signatures is anyone's guess, although it seems likely to be a remain supporter. So I think the originator would be entitled to cry foul when someone turns a perfectly legal document into something less so.
As for Farage, why would he be involved in the post referendum discussions, he is not even an mp, let alone in the Tory party, but that said, I can assure you, he is not dead, and has just made a rousing speech in Brussels... No... I don't agree with his language, but you really should bury you resentment and listen to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Polly, I don't understand your angle. Don't you know the whole petition was set up 'mischievously' by a pro-Leave supporter? Please see posts 158 etc. I was saying I am deeply suspicious of a clearly pointless petition that has no hope of success with such obviously fraudulent signatories. And I never for one minute thought you said I'd signed it.

As for why I mention Farage, because the language used by him on Friday is completely at odds with that used by the official Leave camp. Farage is, for better or worse, largely responsible for the rise in Euroscepticism and the referendum being held in the first place. He wants the UK out of the EU full stop.

But listen to what Hunt and Johnson etc are saying, they are saying there will be little change. Johnson wants to concentrate on removing the ability of the EU to meddle in our laws. He and Hunt seem willing to accept free movement of people to get us entry into the single market, which is totally at odds with controlling migration. Hunt is even suggesting in his bid for the PMS job that there will be a further referendum on the deal that the EU offers us in two years time.

I can not see Farage, or the electorate accepting this 'Brexit lite' outcome, it's not what was offered to the electorate in the referendum. There will be trouble ahead....
Old 28th June 2016, 12:41   #188
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I am not here to make you laugh or get personal. No thank you sir! .

Let's move on, as I would like to see how you are going to bring this country back together. Your lot got us here. You keep harping on about doom and gloom with tired out rhetoric against the remainers. That is old news, something you don't get.

The referendum is over and it is time to get real and honest with Jo Public. No more lies about the promised land. Let's have the facts, your social and economic mandates for reform for starters.

Over to you?
You think the comment "Don't make me laugh!" is a personal one against you?

It wasn't - and you know that.

It is a well used idiom "said to someone to show that you cannot take their suggestion seriously"

Why try to infer something "personal" when no such inference existed?

If you want facts - just read my posts and the links and the references within them.
Old 28th June 2016, 12:56   #189
Darcydog
This is my second home

FTSE100 up 3% - now back to where it was at the start of 2013.

And almost exactly five years ago The FTSE 100 plummeted from 6000 to 5040

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=ftse+100

I wonder what that was? - Whatever it was that caused it must have been REALLY monumental.

Because so far - Brexit has caused it to fall from 6226 to 6151 over the past five days.

We're DOOMED!

Still early days tho' - the volatility is still there - we have not seen the last of it.
Old 28th June 2016, 13:14   #190
grteam
Avid contributor

75 Mk II CDTi Saloon ''Charlie Bravo Tango''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Could be a Russian Dnepr?

BMW copy tho.

My Dad's friend when I was about 10 had a Douglas Dragonfly - I thought it a very beautiful thing.
the Dnepr is not Russian, but (made) in Ukraine - though you're not far these days. Had one some time ago, but had bad habit of throwing the cylinder heads at by standers, so was sacked.
Closed Thread