Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10th September 2008, 14:21   #21
veeeight

None

If using the MLS gasket, I tend to use:

20Nm
90 degrees
90 degrees
90 degrees
90 degrees

http://www.guarnitauto.com/showFile....ile_eng_29.pdf

as opposed to the 2 x 180 degrees, if you have already done the job it matters not too much.

The 20Nm figure is just to ensure a good snug fit/tightness and to give a fairly even start point. If your torque wrench starts at 28Nm just wind it a little below that figure.

It's more important that the bolts are all the same to start, rather than an absolute torque figure, as it makes no difference to the final tension.

Dave Andrews snugs and releases a couple of times before going through the angles.
Old 10th September 2008, 17:05   #22
SMC Trading
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Thanks for that.

Job is now finished and I have to say I was really surprised how easy it is to D.I.Y, no special tools needed, took about 5 hours but if I were to do another it would be much quicker.

Have to keep an eye on it over the next couple of day just to make sure it cured the problem but it is all looking good so far (runs over to a piece of wood to touch!).

Thanks guys, and thanks to Greeners today for popping in to lend a hand
Old 10th September 2008, 19:01   #23
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Glad it's running......hopefully once you change the oil it will be sorted.
Old 10th September 2008, 19:02   #24
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

..................and I finally got back to work at 3pm
Old 10th September 2008, 22:54   #25
SMC Trading

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Glad it's running......hopefully once you change the oil it will be sorted.
Yep,

Done the 2nd oil change late this afternoon, done 100 miles in it tonight including booting up/down the M11 and all seems fine now
Old 11th September 2008, 07:16   #26
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Good DIY job well done by the sound of things.
SMC Trading for Head Gasket replacements next???
Old 11th September 2008, 09:18   #27
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC Trading View Post
OK,

Next question, what is the head bolts torque settings?, I should know as we done one a few months back but cannot remember - where is Mr Lates when you need him?
so far up my own rear at the minute Les and it isnt pretty.Anybody who needs me shout my mobile on an evening if you are struggling to get in touch.
Old 11th September 2008, 20:19   #28
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Default Modified Cylinder Head Gasket Kit 1.8 K Series Engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transam View Post
Here you go.
As a matter of interest, can anyone confirm that all 1.8/1.8Ts were fitted with the cast alloy sump, as referred to in the Xpart fitting instructions for the modified gasket kit assembly.
On the introduction of the facelift models, I remember reading that the basic Classic 1.8 model was being fitted with a light weight version of the 1.8 engine. This engine was not fitted with the heavy weight balance flywheel which had been a standard feature of the engine when fitted to the 75, to assist in the overal smooth running of the unit in the original Mk1 models.
Did this lower spec version of the 1.8 engine, have the alloy cast sump or was it fitted with a pressed light weight steel sump.
The reason for my question is that the fitting instructions state that the new Oil Feed Ladder, part of the Kit, can only be fitted when the cast alloy sump is fitted. As this modified gasket can be fitted to other K Series engines, it may therefore be referring just to 1.4 or 1.6 versions of this engine but clarification of this point may be of assistance to Forum Members.
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Telfer.

Last edited by Telferstr; 11th September 2008 at 20:23..
Old 11th September 2008, 20:52   #29
Lovel

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telferstr View Post
As a matter of interest, can anyone confirm that all 1.8/1.8Ts were fitted with the cast alloy sump, as referred to in the Xpart fitting instructions for the modified gasket kit assembly.
On the introduction of the facelift models, I remember reading that the basic Classic 1.8 model was being fitted with a light weight version of the 1.8 engine. This engine was not fitted with the heavy weight balance flywheel which had been a standard feature of the engine when fitted to the 75, to assist in the overal smooth running of the unit in the original Mk1 models.
Did this lower spec version of the 1.8 engine, have the alloy cast sump or was it fitted with a pressed light weight steel sump.
The reason for my question is that the fitting instructions state that the new Oil Feed Ladder, part of the Kit, can only be fitted when the cast alloy sump is fitted. As this modified gasket can be fitted to other K Series engines, it may therefore be referring just to 1.4 or 1.6 versions of this engine but clarification of this point may be of assistance to Forum Members.
Thanks in advance.
Regards
Telfer.
The alloy sump was introduced around 1997-98 in the k series engines and with the 75 being released in 1999 it would be a fair bet that the 75 had only the alloy sump pan. It is good to highlight this issue anyway as some members on here own other MGR models too where a steel sump pan is fitted such as the 100, 200 & 400 models. If this were the case then you could always just opt to purchase the Land Rover MLS which consists of the gasket/shim only which may be a little cheaper.
Old 12th September 2008, 14:34   #30
Telferstr
Posted a thing or two

Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross 3. 1.5 Petrol 6 Speed Manual Gearbox. Great fan of the Mk1 75 which I had 3

Thanks Lovel, that is helpful information which will clear up any doubts if the full modified gasket kit assembly can be fitted to all 1.8/1.8T 75s.
How is Aberdeen these days, lived there for ten years, sometime ago now, but found it a great city and enjoyed living there.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Telfer.
Closed Thread