Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th December 2015, 21:50   #11
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

well just bought two meters of anti rattle self adhesive felt tape, lets if it cures the rattling extremely annoyng Windows...

not sure but i will give it a go when it arrives home, any more ideas if this dont work out???
super s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 22:34   #12
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

So taking the door card off, running the window down and unbolting the runners and nipping them in a bit before retightening and checking the window runs smoothly would not work then....??
Old 12th December 2015, 11:52   #13
super s
Gets stuck in

mg

didn t knew that method...

will try it also then...

after taking the door card off ishould unbolt the runners and what should i do with them???

i didn t understood the english sorry... nipping is???

thanks.
super s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2015, 11:54   #14
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by super s View Post
didn t knew that method...

will try it also then...

after taking the door card off ishould unbolt the runners and what should i do with them???

i didn t understood the english sorry... nipping is???

thanks.
slightly push sideways towards the glass to hold it more firmly.
But not too tight as the glass may become too firm for the electric motors to move...

you need to find a good balance
Old 16th December 2015, 08:51   #15
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Brilliant stuff this tape - fitted some the other day after seeing this and yes it has stopped the annoying drivers window rattle BUT not only that it has reduced wind noise from that door by at least 80%

I noticed when I was sticking it on, there is (on my car a least) a small gap at the very top of the door frame, you'd probably never notice it if you weren't trying to stick tape up there, so I blocked it up with the tape. Combined with the window being pushed out slightly by the tape it has quietened things down amazingly.......... I can hear road noise now instead...... never ends does it

I might get some small rubber tubing as well to push into the gap behind the tape.
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 12:54   #16
neilyh
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

What a great little mod. Just done the front 2 windows and the drop in wind noise (apart from yours truly) was amazing.

Just ordered another roll for the back doors
Old 20th December 2015, 10:33   #17
guernsey
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi SE Contemporary Auto

Done this today, a really noticeable drop in wind noise
More on the way for the rear doors.
guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015, 11:01   #18
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

great short term fix,but most of my rattle comes when the window is half done, not when fully closed.
Not sure how the glass rattle was when these cars were new but it is a pain now.
Had a look inside the door and there appears a few things within the door that are supposed to stop rattles etc but really dont.
First being the internal rubber / metal trim strip that holds the clips that grip the top edge of the door card and also stops the glass rattling against the door metal.- there is a gap that dosnt quite hold the glass when half down.
Second, the external weather strip on the outside of the door which is supposed to hold the glass firm - it does but only when fully up.
On the inside of the external weather strip there is supposed to be 3 or 4 plastic clips that hold that trim on but also have a rubber washer on them.
These are there to hold the glass firm when the glass is not fully closed.unfortunately the washers fall off and again,the glass rattles.
I have tried packing the window rubbers (same effect as the felt tape) up the side of the glass track with limited success but think that there may be a way to re allign the track the glass runs in (inside the door) so the glass touches the rubber when half way up.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2015, 14:48   #19
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
I noticed when I was sticking it on, there is (on my car a least) a small gap at the very top of the door frame, you'd probably never notice it if you weren't trying to stick tape up there, so I blocked it up with the tape. Combined with the window being pushed out slightly by the tape it has quietened things down.
Just received a roll of the felt, but went and had a quick look at the door frame, sure enough a gap between the rubber and the glass right in the top corner. Obvious now, but never would have looked if not for this thread. Hope the felt will reduce the wind noise from there.

Just returned from a fast run along a windy motorway and the wind noise is certainly reduced. When the window is closed now, you can see the felt co pressing all around its edges, rather than how it was before with the rubber seal not in contact in the top corner due to the gap caused by the shape in the rubber. Oddly enough my 2001 car shows to be in contact all around, although the seal appears to be the same.

On the 2002 car i also see a similar gap at the top front corner of the rear door seal. Has anyone done this mod on a rear door yet?

Last edited by David Lawrence; 23rd December 2015 at 14:57..
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 18:34   #20
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Just tried to post this image of the drivers rear door done today. (First time to use photobucket so hope it works)

This had the same gap in the seal between the rubber and the frame that the front one had, but only on the drivers side doors for some reason. On the passenger side the seal is in contact all around. This has completely got rid of the remaining wind noise now

The rubber seal had a low section at the top front corner not making contact with the glass, so i first stuck a short strip in the recess, before fitting 2 long strips on the front vertical and top horizontal lengths. Didnt need one on the rear vertical as this was making a firm contact

Last edited by David Lawrence; 24th December 2015 at 18:46..
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote