Notices

Old 9th December 2015, 10:50   #21
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
My Father's fist, belt & steel toe-capped boots..............until I was 21 & got out.
Thats terrible.
My Father never laid a finger on me though he must have been tempted.

What you say reminds me of Tam Leek (rotrex).

He told me one night whilst we chewed the fat that his father had brutalized him in his youth.
The father was a farmer and Tam as the only boy was forced to work very hard with a fist or a boot if he didnt.
Tam left the farm as soon as he was able.

A lovely man who we sadly lost a few years back.

Last edited by FLYER; 9th December 2015 at 10:53..
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 11:30   #22
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
As the title says, what was it that got you interested in anything as a youth? Is it because you lived near someone that was always tinkering? Did you read adventure stories or comics? Was it your dad that could mend stuff and you picked it up? Did you wander and climb things just because you could? Was it a Grandad that took you fishing?
I've always enjoyed things from the past, history has been a large part of what shaped me, modern or ancient does not matter. I love to read and bought comics such as Victor, Warlord and Battle, Valiant, Hotspur, Tiger, Action, as well as Beano and Dandy, Sparky, Topper, Beezer.
I also have a passion for inventions and how things work. I love to ponder ways around long standing problems and solving them. I got into motorcycles because of the thrill of them. I love music of any kind and I have a great love of books, that's always been in me and didn't need any push. I hope this thread will bring memories out from long ago and make people smile.
So that's a lot of what made me...how about you lot?
In a word, buses. I was first type trained on a coach- a Volvo B10M- by a Shearings coach driver at the age of 14. Once bus and coach drivers knew I was interested, they would tell me all about the vehicle they were driving; how it works etc. Was allowed to travel in the courier seat on a nearly new Leyland Tiger\Duple way back too!

Shaped my childhood and the rest of my life I guess as I drive buses and the occasional coach!

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 11:46   #23
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyland Worldmaster View Post
In a word, buses. I was first type trained on a coach- a Volvo B10M- by a Shearings coach driver at the age of 14. Once bus and coach drivers knew I was interested, they would tell me all about the vehicle they were driving; how it works etc. Was allowed to travel in the courier seat on a nearly new Leyland Tiger\Duple way back too!

Shaped my childhood and the rest of my life I guess as I drive buses and the occasional coach!
You also drive me round the bend..:laugh ing2:
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2015, 12:13   #24
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
Thats terrible.
My Father never laid a finger on me though he must have been tempted.

What you say reminds me of Tam Leek (rotrex).

He told me one night whilst we chewed the fat that his father had brutalized him in his youth.
The father was a farmer and Tam as the only boy was forced to work very hard with a fist or a boot if he didnt.
Tam left the farm as soon as he was able.

A lovely man who we sadly lost a few years back.
Yes, it was very sad about Tam, although I never met him in person, I enjoyed reading his post's.
Oddly enough, we also had a farm & a garage & it's true to say that the working days, all seven of them, were very long.
There's much more to the story but it's fair to say that I didn't start 'living' until I was 21.
It certainly taught me a lesson on how not to treat people & I vowed never to treat my children that way.
I'm now fortunate to have a fantastic partner (although not married, we've been together for around 22yrs) we have a Daughter & a Son (17 & 12), they are fantastic kids, they love being at home & we do lots of things together as a family.
They know they can talk to us about anything & basically, I wouldn't be without them.
If that's what I had to go through to be where I am now, I'm a happy man.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote