Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd May 2015, 06:09   #71
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Personally I make the judgement car by car. I recently spent £700 on the 75 to save it from HGF. The car cost me just £500 but I have put time and money into it and for me its worth saving and keeping. What car could I buy for £700? Would it be a money pit?

On the other hand I bought my Daughter a Rover 25 for £550 just 3 years ago (2000 X plate), low miles and 2 owners. In her hands it has suffered various knocks and there is not a straight panel on it anymore. I tell her to just get the oil changed every year and run it until it dies. It actually runs very well indeed but it looks a wreck! Judgement made.
Old 2nd May 2015, 06:25   #72
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Personally I make the judgement car by car.
I agree, I scrapped my last car as it had an ABS issue which would have cost a fortune to put right. I had already taken it to several garages but their diagnostics could not communicate with my car!
My Rover on the other hand, its too good a car not to spend money on to keep on the road..

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 06:48   #73
RodgerD
Rodger & Out

Rover 75 Saloon

We need to get back to a mend it mentality and ditch this throw-away where its cheaper to just replace. The amount of energy and Earth's resources that go into building a car and through mans idea of depreciation, it become uneconomic to repair after x number of years, has lead to this situation. We need to be more like Indian or Cuba where the philosophy is repair, repair, repair as they have no other option. We along with other western countries don't value items with a perceived decreasing value because of our thrown-away society that has become all to prevalent as money is king and people cannot see the real value in what they have.

Just look at this, repair a car with minimal need on Earth's resources, say a HG, or cut it up, build a new car to replace it which take far more of Earth's resources to manufacture.

Last edited by RodgerD; 2nd May 2015 at 06:51..
RodgerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 07:57   #74
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerD View Post
.....We need to be more like Indian or Cuba where the philosophy is repair, repair, repair as they have no other option. We along with other western countries don't value items with a perceived decreasing value because of our thrown-away society that has become all to prevalent as money is king and people cannot see the real value in what they have.
I agree. We Indians - even ones from Suffolk - can keep a car or motorcycle going much longer than almost anyone else. Just look at my Omega wich will be 16 years young this September.

Unfortunately, most Indians in India now aspire to emulate the Western "throw-away" society.

The planet is doomed. We are all doomed.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 08:08   #75
Ratty

MG ZTT CDTI Honda Jazz 1.4 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerD View Post
We need to get back to a mend it mentality and ditch this throw-away where its cheaper to just replace. The amount of energy and Earth's resources that go into building a car and through mans idea of depreciation, it become uneconomic to repair after x number of years, has lead to this situation. We need to be more like Indian or Cuba where the philosophy is repair, repair, repair as they have no other option. We along with other western countries don't value items with a perceived decreasing value because of our thrown-away society that has become all to prevalent as money is king and people cannot see the real value in what they have.

Just look at this, repair a car with minimal need on Earth's resources, say a HG, or cut it up, build a new car to replace it which take far more of Earth's resources to manufacture.
I totally agree with you Roger, I spend about 3 months every year in Thailand and nothing is thrown away, many small garages repairing cars & bikes on every corner. you can get anything repaired there.We should take a leaf out of their book.
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 08:10   #76
gazcaz

MG ZT

Cool

Better the devil you know,im the same mine didint cost much due to the belts etc needing doing,it most prob owes me in total to date £2000,wheels to be done next month and drivers seat repaired and most probally a clutch at some point plus little bits n bobs say £3000.

What else could i get that is a little unusual and a talking point Merc,Audi,Ford,Porche no theres lots of them on the road,im happy with mine and as long as i can get the parts required i will keep it on the road.

234th of 2,834 Trophy Blue ZT 190 + Saloons Produced
14th of 27 MG ZTs Produced on 27-09-2001
gazcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 08:12   #77
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

A friend of mine has an X3 on a '62 plate. It needs 2 new rear tyres and the 2 year BMW warranty runs out in June. On the face of it not a show stopper. The cost for his piece of mind as he hasn't got a clue about cars will be £1500 so that has been put down as a deposit on a brand new X3 to replace the current one and the monthly cost increase is negligible, it would have been zero but he's added some extra options. It sounds crazy but it makes sense, sort of.
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 08:26   #78
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Lightbulb A bit of philosophy ... sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
Buying a new car just because the present one requires some kind of work carried out is an all to common occurrence in societies where most things have no immediate value, or instant gratification ...
That's an interesting view Mario. If I understand your point correctly, it would explain why there is often money in owners' pockets for things which enhance their car's image (for example electric heated seats, lashings of real wood trim) but not when it comes to an unglamorous head gasket repair.

But just to comment on Bob's original post, with which I wholeheartedly agree:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
I have been reading a number of threads recently, where people decide not to get work done, based on the value of the car. I don't get what the value of the car has to do with it.
The bill would be the same, but if it was a £5000 car it would get done wouldn't it?
I think that the answer lies in considering the motor car as an asset, and that the cost of a big repair can somehow be recovered when the vehicle is sold. The flaw in this philosophy is taking into account only a single expense. What about all the routine servicing and minor repairs over the years of ownership; do you get this money back? No, of course you don't. Cars are money pits!

I suspect that the real reason that a single large expense tips the scales of reason is that the owner is looking for an excuse to opt out of a situation which is uncomfortable and embarrassing. Casting the guilty item out of his or her life is an exorcism and calm and happiness returns, but only until the inevitable visit to the car dealer's showroom.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 2nd May 2015 at 08:28..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2015, 12:06   #79
itchyfeet
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

I had my ZR for about 17 months and it just became problem after problem. Not really engine problems but little issues like the sunroof needed replaced and would soak the seat. Sealed it about 6 times and the silicone would always wear away as expected. Was not going to invest in a new sunroof. The rust on the wheel arches was getting bad and even rust around the side indicator. The driver window needed pushed when going up to put it into its proper position.
Had to replace the heater fuse which has now gone again ( my soldering caused it ) , window wipers don't work on first setting. Cheap build quality that caused far too much rattling.

Engine wise I replaced inlet manifold, new radiator, expansion cap, radiator hoses, fuel pump, all brakes were changed, new brake pipes, welded an engine mount bit for MOT and other bits and bobs. Funny enough it went through MOT with zero advisories.
Sadly it is back to losing coolant again. Seems it is the waterpump that is leaking. So needs new belt anyway.

I got so fed up with it. Knew it was time for it to go and had spent well over a grand on repairs. £400 alone in tyres last summer.

I was looking at a BMW but really wanted to stay with MGR. Found the perfect ZT through the club and now love my new ZT.
To have gotten the same quality with BMW that I have with my ZT, I was looking at £5,000 range minimum. I looked at many BMW's over the months.
I waited for the perfect ZT for me as I do wish to own the car for the next ten years +. Will eventually become a weekend only car.
itchyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote