Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th November 2014, 21:45   #1
MGStephen
Posted a thing or two

ZT 190 ZTT 180

Default Wiring diagram for Powerfolds

As above, does anyone have any diagrams for the Powerfolds or atleast tell me how they operate.

Trying to find out how easy it would be to get them into the ZS.

MG5 Exclusive
Moonshine ZS 180
Twilight ZT 190 SE
Shot Silk ZT ( soon to be 1.8T )
Atmosphere ZT-T CDTI
Dark Fantasy 75 Contemporary SE CDTI Tourer
Chatsworth 75 Contemporary SE V6 Tourer
Passat 3.2 SEL Estate

MGStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 06:32   #2
steve811
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Connoisseur SE

Basically there are three wires to each mirror. One is earth (return) and the other two power. Put 12v on one and the mirror folds, switch 12v to the other and it retracts.
steve811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 06:59   #3
wesley
Loves to post

75 saloon

steve i think maybe there are only 2 wires to each mirror. the electrics in the controller swops 12 volts and eaeth between the 2 wires.

@ stephen-

there are 2 wires coming out of the drivers door switch box and they split, going to each door. there is no need for seperate power feeds as its all done in the door switch box.

not sure if you could modify a switch box to a zs but they can be operated by using a dpdt switch. i used a dpdt switch on my car some time ago after the proper switch box went wrong until i could buy another.

was there ever a option for powerfolds on the zs? if so you might be able to retrofit them?

Last edited by wesley; 8th November 2014 at 13:17..
wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014, 17:55   #4
MGStephen
Posted a thing or two

ZT 190 ZTT 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesley View Post
steve i think maybe there are only 2 wires to each mirror. the electrics in the controller swops 12 volts and eaeth between the 2 wires.

@ stephen-

there are 2 wires coming out of the drivers door switch box and they split, going to each door. there is no need for seperate power feeds as its all done in the door switch box.

not sure if you could modify a switch box to a zs but they can be operated by using a dpdt switch. i used a dpdt switch on my car some time ago after the proper switch box went wrong until i could buy another.

was there ever a option for powerfolds on the zs? if so you might be able to retrofit them?
on the ZS this wasn't an option. However some of the Honda Civics and Accords had similar set up so its not going to be too hard. I can even get a switch from a Landrover that is exactly the same as the ZS one but includes the powerfold function, so its going to look OEM when fitted.

MG5 Exclusive
Moonshine ZS 180
Twilight ZT 190 SE
Shot Silk ZT ( soon to be 1.8T )
Atmosphere ZT-T CDTI
Dark Fantasy 75 Contemporary SE CDTI Tourer
Chatsworth 75 Contemporary SE V6 Tourer
Passat 3.2 SEL Estate

MGStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 19:58   #5
red robbo

MG ZS 180

I've fitted 'em to my MKII ZS180. I also used the Landy mirror adjustment switch with power fold button, but even with a multi-meter, I couldn't get the drivers mirror glass to adjust correctly (up/down, left/right. Passenger side does as it should). If you manage it, feel free to pass on the correct wiring set up!
My mirrors operate via the fob (or key in the lock), so unlock and mirrors fold out, lock, and mirrors fold in, BUT, with the car having autolock at 4 mph, the mirrors (taking a signal off the central locking) would fold back in, so there's a ecu "block" on the mirrors working with engine running (a feed from the alternator to the power fold ecu was required, so the ecu would know the engine was running). The manual fold button on the Landy switch overides the "block" and allows manual fold with engine running. The manual function proved temperamental though (suited itself if it worked or not) so it's now disconnected.
At the moment, it's tough luck if I need to fold 'em manually in a tight spot!
Although nearly two years of having them fitted, I've never needed to fold them.
red robbo is offline   Reply With Quote