Notices

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2014, 16:55   #71
billericaymgxpower
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Nissan Patrol, Volkswagen Touareg, Vauxhall Frontera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof25 View Post
Yes Sean she did give you the right to buy if you had the wherewithal to do so but by refusing councils the right to build new social housing she helped to create the problem we have today and her successors allow landlords to charge obscene rents they do not seem to recognise that they have responsibility to all the people in this country not just those who share their credo.
Well they are certainly building now! Not all landlords charge "obscene" rents. I own my own home through hard work, sound investment and financial astutement. Ok, and a liitle bit of opportunity. I also own a second property that I let out. At a realistic and fair rent I hasten to add. That provides others with a home.
Old 24th May 2014, 17:20   #72
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billericaymgxpower View Post
Yes, but she did bring in right to buy Strong woman though and even if you don't agree with her politics she had more man jewels than any subsequent PM's and most certainly more than the present two chuckle heads put together!
Ah yes, right to buy.... how many bankers and lenders and solicitors profited from all of the mortgages sold...
Old 24th May 2014, 18:35   #73
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Here we go again! Raising the Blessed Margaret from the undead!
It's odd how she won't lie down. Maggie did this, Maggie did that. One thing she didn't do, but never gets credit for it, is invent Right to Buy.

Students, no, even casual observers, of history know that that beacon of modesty Harold Wilson (Labour don't you know) moved that in 1959 in his manifesto. Unfortunately he lost the election so we had to wait until Margaret got the no.10 keys in 1979. Even she wasn't the architect because in 1970 some 7000 council houses were sold to their tenants! That massively increased during the intervening years until 1979 when at last the Left had a target at which to direct their dogmatic venom. And a woman at that!

Landlords charging unreasonable rents? No they don't! They charge whatever the market will stand as any other business does! Don't blame independent landlords for charging the Housing Benefit limit for the respective area, blame the benefits system for keeping the limit so high!

Again, sweeping generalisations get jumped on as perfect examples whenever it suits and wilful ignorance ensues. Never mind what actually happened, don't worry about constructing an argument that contains only truths, spin to suit the circs and then blame those awful politicians for lying!

Last edited by wraymond; 24th May 2014 at 18:37..
Old 24th May 2014, 19:49   #74
billericaymgxpower
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Nissan Patrol, Volkswagen Touareg, Vauxhall Frontera

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Ah yes, right to buy.... how many bankers and lenders and solicitors profited from all of the mortgages sold...
Probably plenty but they are in business to do just that. You go to work Klarzy? You get paid? Your employer sells the goods or services you are involved in producing? The buying public are contributing to the company profits? Part of those profits return to you as an employee, so no difference. We are all riding on the back of someone.
Old 24th May 2014, 19:57   #75
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by billericaymgxpower View Post
Probably plenty but they are in business to do just that. You go to work Klarzy? You get paid? Your employer sells the goods or services you are involved in producing? The buying public are contributing to the company profits? Part of those profits return to you as an employee, so no difference. We are all riding on the back of someone.
that I know, but I would do better if I had the "old school tie" no?
Old 24th May 2014, 22:18   #76
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof25 View Post
Yes Sean she did give you the right to buy if you had the wherewithal to do so but by refusing councils the right to build new social housing she helped to create the problem we have today and her successors allow landlords to charge obscene rents they do not seem to recognise that they have responsibility to all the people in this country not just those who share their credo.
But to be fair, in Maggies time we didn't need to build more social housing, as between 1979 and 1990 (her tenure) we let in less people to the Country than the LibLabCon let in a year!

Labour destroyed this Country by signing the Lisbon Treaty, which contained the Freedom of Movement Act and didn't start a MASSIVE building program that was needed to house all the immigrants coming into the Country, thus pushing up house prices beyone anyone on an average wage!
Old 24th May 2014, 23:25   #77
davepitch
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

To be fair there was not much incentive for anyone to come to UK in Thatchers era. Unemployment was at levels not experienced since the Depression. The traditional mining communities were ripped apart. Then there was the poll tax riots, snatching the school kids milk etc, happy times?. Dave
Old 26th May 2014, 09:04   #78
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

The Left are a bit quiet this morning, are they OK?
Old 26th May 2014, 09:12   #79
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
The Left are a bit quiet this morning, are they OK?
UKIP won a seat in Scotland .

Now that did surprise me...
Old 26th May 2014, 09:15   #80
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
UKIP won a seat in Scotland .

Now that did surprise me...
Did it have a lid ?