Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th December 2013, 09:29   #1
Dvorak
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Copperleaf Red

Talking Christmas Clutch Cheer

Hi guys,

I hope everyone's having a good December.

This isn't a problem so much as paranoia I think. I have a 52 plate CDT, and I love her to bits (she's called Victoria).

I came to drive her this morning after a few weeks of neglect, and though the clutch feels really good, it doesn't feel normal. It's very heavy (I'm used to this) and has no real bite point - just a sort of gradual fade in of power quite near to the floor. It feels great and is perfectly easy to use, but I'm worried that it might be on the way out (all original at 86k) - December is not the best time to ask Andy to come up to Cumbria to fix!

What do you think?

Thank you!
Dvorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 09:39   #2
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

If the biting point is heading south towards the shagpile it's more likely to be hydraulic rather than the clutch itself. Check the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir (top of clutch pedal) and top up if necessary, may require bleeding after topping up.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 09:45   #3
Dvorak
Avid contributor

Thanks Steve. I will check that this evening. Is it normal behaviour not to have a definite level at which you can feel the clutch engage? I guessed it was some smoothing effect of the DMF but I'm not sure.
Old 16th December 2013, 10:42   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Can't say I've ever come across a "wandering" biting point other than it heading for the floor if the fluid starts getting low. Could be something about diesels?

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 17:48   #5
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

i would advise you to bleed it asap i will be around all Christmas if you need help

andy
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 19:19   #6
Dvorak
Avid contributor

That's good to know! Thanks Andy.

I went out and had a play - There is some play in the pedal before it feels like I'm putting pressure on the fluid. Does this mean a bleed is in order, or is this something about the clutch pivot before the hydraulic system starts? I'm just a bit wary of trying to bleed because I'm possibly the worst mechanic in the world - is there a really easy tutorial somewhere?
Old 16th December 2013, 19:46   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvorak View Post
That's good to know! Thanks Andy.

I went out and had a play - There is some play in the pedal before it feels like I'm putting pressure on the fluid. Does this mean a bleed is in order, or is this something about the clutch pivot before the hydraulic system starts? I'm just a bit wary of trying to bleed because I'm possibly the worst mechanic in the world - is there a really easy tutorial somewhere?
get yourself a couple of large syringes and a length of clear pipe the same diameter of the bleed pipe, make sure you have supply of fluid available.
use the first syringe to top up the master, then the second to bleed the clutch. Open the bleed valve once the pipe is secured to the end of it, then suck the fluid through checking for bubbles. Once syringe is full, close the bleed valve. Then repeat the process until there are no bubbles coming through when you suck the fluid through the valve.