Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th September 2013, 20:00   #1
forestmyths
Regular poster

Rover 75 Classic SE

Default Heater Core Output Optimal Temperatures

Does anyone know what the optimal temperatures are for the two heater matrix? I bought a reliable digital thermometer and tested mine. After driving for a half hour, on the driver's side I get a reading of 150 degrees Fahrenheit. On the passenger side I get a reading of 130. I would rather not pull the matrix out of the passenger side if 130 is a good reading. I don't know how much 20 degrees difference will make when the weather gets really cold. Any thoughts??
forestmyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 21:07   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I'm not sure I understand your question. What are you trying to measure? Does the car have climate control or the basic heating system?

The one matrix supplies both the left and right side air flows. Individual temperature control is done by mixing cold air with the flows. Ideally, the hot part should be as hot as it can get. This is generated by the engine coolant flow and the temperature of coolant flowing into the matrix is the same as the 'engine' temperature. Coolant flows directly into the heater circuit, bypassing the thermostat. The surface temperature across the matrix should be more or less the same. A difference (lower) on the passenger side may indicate a partial blockage of the matrix. Or it may be getting more cold are mixed in. Whether the temperatures you measure are adequate depends on how warm you want to get in the cabin.

How are you measuring these temperatures?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2013, 07:10   #3
forestmyths
Regular poster

Rover 75 Classic SE

Default Don't have climate control

Should have mentioned--I have a 76 Classic SE with a 1.8 petrol engine. I thought there were two heater matrix--one on the driver's side and one on the passenger side. I'm using a digital thermometer that has an element at the end of a wire. My question is, just how hot should the air coming from the blower vents be? Good point about the 20 degree temperature difference I got possibly being a result of the cold air mixture.
forestmyths is offline   Reply With Quote