Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th July 2013, 19:05   #1
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

Default Alko spare wheel carrier

As you may have read in my previous post i have had problems with the noseweight on my van - daft as it seems the problem may have been so obvious that i didn't think about it The spare wheel is in the front locker & as we all know they weigh quite a bit. I figure that if i mount it on a underfloor carrier that goes behind the axle that should sort the problem . I have purchased a under floor carrier from a breaker who is local but i have to remove it myself & have not taken any notice of how they mount. Does anybody know what tools i need to take with me to remove it?

Thanks
Steve.
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 19:43   #2
Tin Tent
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssizefive View Post
As you may have read in my previous post i have had problems with the noseweight on my van - daft as it seems the problem may have been so obvious that i didn't think about it The spare wheel is in the front locker & as we all know they weigh quite a bit. I figure that if i mount it on a underfloor carrier that goes behind the axle that should sort the problem . I have purchased a under floor carrier from a breaker who is local but i have to remove it myself & have not taken any notice of how they mount. Does anybody know what tools i need to take with me to remove it?

Thanks
Steve.
Just looked at mine on the offside there are 4 split pins to remove, nearside is a plastic knob to unscrew which has a clip on a chain to stop in undoing while travelling when knob is removed the carrier can be removed complete, there are 2 rubber gromets on the offside where carrier fitted worth taking those, on nearside you need to take out nut & bolt that plastic knob fitted too in case you need it not sure of size perhaps 17mm but socket set and adjustable spanner should do it. safe towing.
Tin Tent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 19:45   #3
ssizefive

Mg Tf160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tent View Post
Just looked at mine on the offside there are 4 split pins to remove, nearside is a plastic knob to unscrew which has a clip on a chain to stop in undoing while travelling when knob is removed the carrier can be removed complete, there are 2 rubber gromets on the offside where carrier fitted worth taking those, on nearside you need to take out nut & bolt that plastic knob fitted too in case you need it not sure of size perhaps 17mm but socket set and adjustable spanner should do it. safe towing.
Excellent. Thanks for the info.

Steve.
Old 4th July 2013, 19:52   #4
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Make sure you give the sliding tubes a good clean up and re lube them.
Makes for far easier removal of spare if the occasion arises, also if travelling on the continent the carrier can be reversed.

I also placed a plastic elasticated spare wheel cover over my wheel to keep it clean and tidy.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 19:57   #5
ssizefive

Mg Tf160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Jamieson View Post
Make sure you give the sliding tubes a good clean up and re lube them.
Makes for far easier removal of spare if the occasion arises, also if travelling on the continent the carrier can be reversed.

I also placed a plastic elasticated spare wheel cover over my wheel to keep it clean and tidy.
Thanks for the advice.
Steve.
Old 5th July 2013, 20:35   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

the spilt pins on the off side, you must remove all 4 before the black bung will come out. I would replace the split pins for "R" clips. the look very much like a capitol R . so much easier to remove and reinsert

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 21:22   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Remember you cannot just jack the van up via the bare chassis, the chassis has to have reinforced jacking points bolted on.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 21:28   #8
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 21:58   #9
ssizefive

Mg Tf160

Ended up not getting the carrier as it wasn't the right one so i am still on the lookout. I have brought the van home tonight & put the wheel inside the van over the axle & it has made a difference although i didn't weigh it. I will check the weight tomorrow when it is packed.

Steve.
Old 11th July 2013, 21:59   #10
ssizefive

Mg Tf160

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
I don't think using that would do it much good

Steve.