Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th May 2013, 09:24   #51
ksilver
Loves to post

ZT-T 385

Personally I would quite like a supercharged Jag, but I would be really concerned about maintenance and parts cost. Being in my second ZT V8 and having put over 150,000 miles into them, there hasn't really been anything expensive needed (other than fuel!!!). The guys in the two-sixties are a good bunch and will most probably have a fix for any problem you might face.
I have been a high mileage driver for over 30 years and have had Audi's, BMW's Volvos etc, but my first 260 was the best car I've ever had and would have kept it indefinitely had I not found a supercharged full monogrammed ZT-T.
ksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 09:48   #52
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedaha View Post
The S-Type is more warmly regarded by the general populace than the 75/ZT I'm afraid, and the R version will always command a significant premium (just as the v8 does for ZTs). While the XJR is more luxurious, it's also more costly to maintain due to it's air suspension and long running issues with aluminium corrosion - which is one of the reasons they cost comparatively similar money 2nd hand despite the XJ costing ~£10k more when new.

I can't help but feel ZT 260 prices are an artificial bubble, for a few reasons.

Regardless, anyone arguing that a ZT 400 is twice the car of an x350 XJR or S-Type R is rather blinded by loyalty to a car brand imho.
As much as I love my ZT, I would have to concur!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 10:05   #53
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtherotti View Post
As the old saying goes 'exclusivity costs'
thats why the zt260/rover v8 hold there money so well
as for a xjr lovely cars and doubt but hardly rare are they
Sorry, I thought we were talking about S Type R's?

The Production numbers comparison makes quite interesting reading, as MGR produced 883 V8 ZT/75's over just 22 months of official production (I'm aware that the Prototypes were produced from as early as 2002, but have included them to the figures for ease of comparison)

Jaguar produced just 1,274 S Type R's for the UK Market over an Official production run of 5 years (once again there were 3 cars built late 2001, but I have included them as "02" cars)

So although Jaguar produced more cars in total, on an annual basis, the comparison is;

MGR produced an average of 481 cars per annum

and

Jaguar produced an average of 255 cars per annum.

So you could indeed say that the Jaguar is a "rarer" car!
Old 11th May 2013, 10:18   #54
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
Sorry, I thought we were talking about S Type R's?

The Production numbers comparison makes quite interesting reading, as MGR produced 883 V8 ZT/75's over just 22 months of official production (I'm aware that the Prototypes were produced from as early as 2002, but have included them to the figures for ease of comparison)

Jaguar produced just 1,274 S Type R's for the UK Market over an Official production run of 5 years (once again there were 3 cars built late 2001, but I have included them as "02" cars)

So although Jaguar produced more cars in total, on an annual basis, the comparison is;

and

You could say that, but it would make little sense.
Firstly the Rover is a front wheel drive, and the V8 were changed to rear wheel drive. That means the total number produced is that, and likely to stay that way, unless somebody goes to a lot of trouble trying to rebuild a car from scratch.
Secondly the number of Rovers and MGs is less than the number of Jaguars, irrespective of the period produced.

So the Rover in particular is an ultra rare car. 165 produced, about 15 of those were Tourers. Some will already have perished, so maybe 140 or so left.?

Not many other cars with such low production numbers.

So on whichever count you want to look at it, the V8 Rover/MGs are rare.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 10:59   #55
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
So on whichever count you want to look at it, the V8 Rover/MGs are rare.
I'm not saying that they aren't!

However, some on here I think have rosé-tinted spectacles about our cars, as the S Type R, is a very under-rated car and very much like the V8 ZT/75, has potential Classic car status in the future!
Old 11th May 2013, 17:56   #56
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:

and

No, they were just slower at building cars at Jaguar

Quote:
I'm not saying that they aren't!

However, some on here I think have rosé-tinted spectacles about our cars, as the S Type R, is a very under-rated car and very much like the V8 ZT/75, has potential Classic car status in the future!
Some may very well have, and rose tinted glasses tend to cost money.
I've been looking at the S-type-R in case I wanted to replace the 260 but decided against it. Maybe an expensive choice but I like the ZT.
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 19:06   #57
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

I too looked at S-Type Rs, even though they were more expensive at the time.

I didn't buy because the interior is quite bland and they are auto only.

The ZT is manual which is why I got one.

The comparison to other cars is rather silly, and rarity is not always a good thing.

There are plenty of cars that are rarer than a V8 ZT/R75

The V8 is what it is cost wise because there are lots of people who want one.

When comparing an 'ordinary' V8 (ie NA) to another car, remember that the V8 NA was meant as the entry level model. And thus comparison across the range at the time are suitable.

Normal V8 models of Audi, Merc and Jag have similar power (300bhp) and performance.

The supercharger is a nice addition to those who want a proper performance saloon and as Rover intended to build them anyway they are accepted as a suitable modification.

Also bear in mind that in the early days the charger conversion was cheaper and the cars a lot more expensive, hence the conversion made more sense - say £15-£30 k for the car when the conversion was £5k

Now the car is say £5k with the conversion costing £8k...

If you want one condition is everything and you wont lose much money on a V8 whatever you buy at (compared to a lot of other 'ordinary' cars)

Some people don't get the V8, but there are plenty that do,

On paper it makes no sense, but drive one and it does...

I pulled away in fourth gear once in mine by mistake and hardly noticed...
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 18:58   #58
Crezzer
Regular poster

Jaguar STR

I traded my a ZT (190) for an S type R last year, I was going to get a V8 ZT but after test driving a couple I found them to be massively underpowered so went for the jag, as has already been said the STR is still quite a rare car but not quite at V8 ZT rareness, I actually prefer the looks of the ZT and I prefer the interior of the ZT as the jag of this era has a lot of ford quality switchgear which feels cheap (MG's window switches are far superior). They are also all auto only but the change is smooth and seamless, parts and servicing is not as expensive as youd think and comparable to MG, tyres are dear though 265s at the rear.
If MG had mass produced the s/c ZT though I'd rather have one of them.
Crezzer is offline   Reply With Quote